How Oregon State could end up in Portland -- with Oregon | The Boneyard

How Oregon State could end up in Portland -- with Oregon

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
Last night I was looking at the evolving picture of the likely top 16 teams and where they might be seeded and placed. In doing so I had a realization of a possibility that I haven't heard discussed yet: Even if Oregon remains the #1 seed in the Portland regional, it's not far-fetched that Oregon State might end up in Portland as well. How?

The committee is bound by the following principle: "Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines." Obviously, then, a fifth team selected from the same conference would have to be in the same region as one of the other four.

The committee's Feb. 3 reveal included five Pac-12 teams in the top 16:
4. Oregon​
6. Stanford​
9. Oregon State​
11. UCLA​
13. Arizona​

By necessity, the first 4 teams in this list were each placed in separate regions. The 5th team (Arizona) was placed as the #4 seed in the Dallas region with #2 seed Stanford.

But two significant games since Feb. 3 have surely altered this pecking order within the Pac-12: UCLA's win at Stanford, and Arizona's win at Oregon State. The combination of these two results means that UCLA has likely overtaken, for now, Oregon State in the committee's ranking, and Arizona just may have barely overtaken Oregon State as well. (This last part is debatable, but let's run with it for now.)

Ironically, slipping to 5th in the Pac-12 pecking order might be a good thing for Oregon State. Why? Because then the committee would be freer to place them in any region, potentially including Portland. (There are other principles that could also restrict placement, but no need to muddy the picture for this hypothetical.)

For example, the following seedings would be just one of the possibilities as of now:
Oregon: #1 seed in Portland​
Stanford: #2 seed in Dallas​
UCLA: #2 seed in Fort Wayne​
Arizona: #3 seed in Greenville​
Oregon State: #3 seed in Portland​
How would the Beaver and Duck fans feel about a Civil War regional final?

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The Beavers have two tough games left: @UCLA and
@ Stanford so wins against one of both could keep them in the top 4 of the RPI of their conference.
Arizona only has a tough game against Stanford at home. A win in this game could propel UofA into the top 4. Stanford has by far the toughest schedule remaining- 2 games at home against the Oregon schools and 2 games on the road against the Arizona schools. This could spell disaster for the Cardinal with them falling to the 5 line. What say you @TheFarmFan ?

jonson

Oregonian
Reaction Score
Last night I was looking at the evolving picture of the likely top 16 teams and where they might be seeded and placed. In doing so I had a realization of a possibility that I haven't heard discussed yet: Even if Oregon remains the #1 seed in the Portland regional, it's not far-fetched that Oregon State might end up in Portland as well. How?

The committee is bound by the following principle: "Each of the first four teams selected from a conference shall be placed in different regions if they are seeded on the first four lines." Obviously, then, a fifth team selected from the same conference would have to be in the same region as one of the other four.

3. Oregon​
6. Stanford​
9. Oregon State​
11. UCLA​
13. Arizona​

By necessity, the first 4 teams in this list were each placed in separate regions. The 5th team (Arizona) was placed as the #4 seed in the Dallas region with #2 seed Stanford.

But two significant games since Feb. 3 have surely altered this pecking order within the Pac-12: UCLA's win at Stanford, and Arizona's win at Oregon State. The combination of these two results means that UCLA has likely overtaken, for now, Oregon State in the committee's ranking, and Arizona just may have barely overtaken Oregon State as well. (This last part is debatable, but let's run with it for now.)

Ironically, slipping to 5th in the Pac-12 pecking order might be a good thing for Oregon State. Why? Because then the committee would be free to place them in any region, including Portland.

For example, the following seedings would be just one of the possibilities as of now:
Not great :). Going to war twice is enough.

Reaction Score

3. Oregon​
6. Stanford​
9. Oregon State​
11. UCLA​
13. Arizona​

Ironically, slipping to 5th in the Pac-12 pecking order might be a good thing for Oregon State. Why? Because then the committee would be free to place them in any region, including Portland.

OSU fans would gladly take that. OSU is the official host of the Portland regional. Would be nice to stay at home for games 3 and 4 in the tourney in quest of a shot at New Orleans.

Reaction Score

3. Oregon​
6. Stanford​
9. Oregon State​
11. UCLA​
13. Arizona​

The Arena will be packed for sure.

Reaction Score
Ticket scalping for a women's college basketball regional. I like it... Oregon fans bought their fair share of available GA seats for the game this year against OSU in Corvallis. Both programs travel well, especially if less than two hours away from their respective campuses.

Reaction Score
As long as Oregon is at this regional this game will approach 20K in attendance and they don't need the Beavs to do that. Personally I've already got my tix and will go no matter who's there, but the Ducks are the big draw this year. Personally, as a fan of both teams, I only want them to meet in New Orleans.

Reaction Score
Actually I would like to see Oregon State meet UCONN in a bracket.

Or maybe ASU at a neutral site :)

"It was incredibly disrespectful and insulting to our team," Turner Thorne said Wednesday when asked about Rueck's comments. "We did contact their administration. We're in your own conference.

No love for ASU by Oregon either for different reasons,ie softball.

This was last year. ASU was jerks about it because McGowan was too good.

Terra McGowan, was not cleared to play by the Pac-12 because Arizona State won’t consent to it, even as one of its track and field athletes was granted a waiver to compete this season after transferring from Arizona.

Usually in softball there is consent even in conference.

Last edited:

Plebe

Reaction Score
Or maybe ASU at a neutral site :)

"It was incredibly disrespectful and insulting to our team," Turner Thorne said Wednesday when asked about Rueck's comments. "We did contact their administration. We're in your own conference.

Wow. Good for her. I like that she's firing back.

"The irony of all of it if people want to complain about us, this is probably one of the least physical teams I've had ever. I wish we were more physical. We aren't We're small, skinny and try to play hard. I don't even get it."​

Rueck's comments quoted in the article have me even more convinced that this is concerted gamesmanship by Rueck and Graves. They're actually mimicking each other's verbiage.

Reaction Score
Wow. Good for her. I like that she's firing back.

"The irony of all of it if people want to complain about us, this is probably one of the least physical teams I've had ever. I wish we were more physical. We aren't We're small, skinny and try to play hard. I don't even get it."​

Rueck's comments quoted in the article have me even more convinced that this is concerted gamesmanship by Rueck and Graves. They're actually mimicking each other's verbiage.
I don't think it was concerted by Rueck and Graves. CTT and Graves complained about the lack of fouls called when interviewed during halftime of different games by PAC-12 announcers. They were clearly frustrated and spoke of needing to make adjustments based upon the officiating.

The more lengthy comments by Rueck were made during a postgame press conference. Rueck didn't seem to know what he was going to do to adapt, based upon his frustrations with how the games were being officiated.

I really don't think that Rueck and Graves seek out each other's counsel. Both coaches were simply speaking up in clear frustration following what they perceived to be missed calls by the officials.

I think that the PAC-12 will discipline all three of those coaches with Rueck receiving a fine.

Reaction Score
Rueck received another reprimand in an announcement that was made by the PAC-12 today. He is now on double secret probation.
Two in the same season? In the LA area lets go a trifecta.

Reaction Score
Two in the same season? In the LA area lets go a trifecta.
Nope. His most recent one was in 2018. Would think that the consequence would be stepped up this time for essentially the same complaint.

Plebe

Reaction Score
So ... back to the original thread topic ...

Among the top six P12 teams, Stanford has the toughest remainder of the regular season, with 4 of their 6 games against other top-6 teams. This may seem like a curse, but it actually gives Stanford more opportunities to bolster their resume and potentially get sent to Fort Wayne region.

The Arizona schools have the easiest final 3 weekends, with a home game vs. Stanford as their only remaining top-6 game. That means UA is very much in the driver's seat to get a first-round bye in the P12 tournament, as they're already a game ahead of 5th-place Oregon State.

Remaining regular season games for the top 6 Pac-12 teams:
Team"Top 6" home games"Top 6" road gamesOther games
Oregon and
Oregon State
--at UCLA
at Stanford
at USC
at Cal
Washington
Washington State
StanfordOregon State
Oregon
Arizona
Arizona State
at Utah
at Colorado
UCLAOregon
Oregon State
--at Washington State
at Washington
Colorado
Utah
Arizona and
Arizona State
Stanford--Washington
Washington State
at Utah
at Colorado
Cal

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Remaining regular season games for the top 6 Pac-12 teams:
Team"Top 6" home games"Top 6" road gamesOther gamesOregon and
Oregon State--at UCLA
at Stanfordat USC
at Cal
Washington
Washington StateStanfordOregon State
OregonArizona
Arizona Stateat Utah
at ColoradoUCLAOregon
Oregon State--at Washington State
at Washington
Colorado
UtahArizona and
Arizona StateStanford--Washington
Washington State
at Utah
at Colorado
Cal

Anybody gonna play spoiler? Colorado has been close a couple times but they have faded badly (lost 7 of 8). Utah is actually the better of the Mountain Schools by a healthy margin currently I would say. USC can be dangerous. Can either of the Washington schools knock somebody off? I think USC over UCLA is still the only lower half team to beat an upper half team, but I'd be kinda surprised if we don't get 1 or 2 more upsets before the end of the season.

Reaction Score
I think it's a given that Oregon St will end up in Portland. If only just to catch the flight to what ever regional they end up being sent too. :rolleyes:

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
I think it's a given that Oregon St will end up in Portland. If only just to catch the flight to what ever regional they end up being sent too. :rolleyes:

Good call there, their road to the NCAA Tourney will very likely lead thru PDX International. Somehow, I just can't see the committee sending both Oregon schools to the Portland Regional.

Plebe

Reaction Score
Good call there, their road to the NCAA Tourney will very likely lead thru PDX International. Somehow, I just can't see the committee sending both Oregon schools to the Portland Regional.
It’s probably unprecedented for 5 teams from the same conference to be seeded 3 or higher.

If it happens, then the committee’s own rules mean that the 5th team as a #3 seed would likely be put in the same region as a #1 seed from the same conference.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It’s probably unprecedented for 5 teams from the same conference to be seeded 3 or higher.

If it happens, then the committee’s own rules mean that the 5th team as a #3 seed would likely be put in the same region as a #1 seed from the same conference.

Ah, well if they are forced to do. It would be great for the Beavs.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
As long as the Arizona schools were not in the same region

If there's already 2 Pac 12 teams in that Region, don't see how there could be 1 or 2 more.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
:rolleyes: Again, Graves made the exact same complaint as Rueck.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom