How new NCAA transfer rules have coaches changing the way they recruit | The Boneyard

How new NCAA transfer rules have coaches changing the way they recruit

Reaction Score
Interesting article. So if this is true does it leave more recruits for programs who would rather develop players? Hurley seems to like developing players so will this make it easier for him to recruit? Will mid-majors be able to backfill their roster with better recruits, even after losing some existing players to high majors? I think it makes it even more important for the coach to have really good relationships with his players and recruit the right kids. It's an interesting dynamic that really changes the way recruiting is done.

"I'm supportive of the one-time transfer thing, fully," said Pitt coach Jeff Capel. "But I think the people that it'll hurt the most are high school kids."

Auburn coach Bruce Pearl expanded on that thought.

"We're going to end up probably taking half as many high school prospects as we would've taken before," he said. "Over a period of four years, in the past, we might've taken three or four high school players a year on average. Now it's going to be one or two."

That's a sentiment I heard from countless coaches over the weekend -- their point being that it'll rarely be sensible going forward to sign high school prospects early who don't figure to play for you as freshmen because A) you can probably find somebody better in the transfer portal, and B) now that players are allowed to transfer without sitting out a season, there's a decent chance you'll spend a year developing a limited-role freshman only to lose him after that year to a school that offers more playing time.

Reaction Score
Sounds like Hurley is zigging when everyone else is zagging. Don't hate that at all, esp in light of his relationships.

There's a reason Kentucky & Dook don't win it every year despite the best recruits: continuity. (among other things)

Reaction Score
A lot of different ways to build a program, but I like building through recruiting high school players, developing, and retaining talent. I like that Hurley is branding himself in that way, just as Musselman/Beard etc are transfer guys. Create an identity and stick with it. Long term, it is going to work out, especially as he continues to cycle through recruiting classes all the way.

Reaction Score
The fringe project prospects (further from their ceiling and with lower upsides than the elite projects) that sprinkle onto high major rosters and round out the scholarship grids will now go mid major and then transfer up once they are further developed. The Whaleys, Hiltons, etc.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
A lot of HS kids who would be playing at some P5 schools will find themselves playing at a bit lower level which may be a blessing for the upper mid conference schools

Reaction Score
I’m not sure Hurley’s model works under this new rubric. It is now more than ever a game of assembling a team of “free agents” each season. I think it is going to be much worse for football, where player development is critical, but I think Pearls analysis is probably right.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom