How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes? | The Boneyard

How Much Is NIL Worth To Student Athletes?

Reaction Score
Interesting... no experience w/ how factual the going rates for this stuff are but seems like a rational analysis based on facts @ hand:

>>As college athletics continue to grapple with the implementation of a fair and balanced set of rules for student-athletes to monetize their Name, Image and Likeness (NIL), the question of just how much money they could generate has been the subject of much speculation. In a continued effort to provide intercollegiate leaders with key insights, AthleticDirectorU teamed up with Navigate Research – one of the most trusted sources of media, marketing, and sponsorship valuations in the industry – to determine how much student-athletes can make off their NIL in both group licensing and free-market scenarios.

Several existing valuation benchmarks can be used to define ranges of compensation for various usages of NIL in both college athletics and professional sports. The simplest starting point for analysis is group licensing, where data is readily available on deals between video game manufacturers and professional sports unions. Recent legal settlements involving student-athletes also provide valuation guidance. <<

Top 10 (longer list in article):
1586174027022.png

Reaction Score
I'll defer to the experts but any list which shows Cole Anthony being more valuable than Trevor Lawrence is suspect to me.

>>By analyzing what the world’s top 100 professional athletes make from their endorsements portfolios (almost always consisting of multiple brands), we found a value of around $0.80 per Instagram follower, on average.<<

Cole Anthony Instagram followers = 592.2k
Trevor Lawrence Instagram followers = 489.2k

Even if they only get $0.40 as opposed to $0.80 for established pro athletes...

I think the whole social media influencer scam of generating revenue by “followers” is suspect but I’m not a advertising analyst by any stretch. Some of the gamers get bucko bucks.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
>>By analyzing what the world’s top 100 professional athletes make from their endorsements portfolios (almost always consisting of multiple brands), we found a value of around $0.80 per Instagram follower, on average.<<

Cole Anthony Instagram followers = 592.2k
Trevor Lawrence Instagram followers = 489.2k

Even if they only get $0.40 as opposed to $0.80 for established pro athletes...

I think the whole social media influencer scam of generating revenue by “followers” is suspect but I’m not a advertising analyst by any stretch. Some of the gamers gets bucko bucks.

I get the articles methodology, I just don't buy in to it. And even the authors suggest the methodology is just a guess. Reason being is some people have already max'd out their online profile and are super aggressive in using it whereas others use it more as a tool. I have little doubt Lawrence could get more followers than Anthony.

It does shed light on some of the names, west coast gymnasts I'm talking about you, who can be large influencers even though they are not known outside of their sport.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I get the articles methodology, I just don't buy in to it. And even the authors suggest the methodology is just a guess. Reason being is some people have already max'd out their online profile and are super aggressive in using it whereas others use it more as a tool. I have little doubt Lawrence could get more followers than Anthony.

It does shed light on some of the names, west coast gymnasts I'm talking about you, who can be large influencers even though they are not known outside of their sport.
College gymnasts probably have followers who don’t know a handspring from a touchdown...

Reaction Score
I would not pay any amount to any of these players. But great for them if they can get it.

Reaction Score
I'll defer to the experts but any list which shows Cole Anthony being more valuable than Trevor Lawrence is suspect to me.

You must be overlooking the fact Anthony would easily get that much for endorsing the Dean Smith Corporation, the "Afro and African-American term paper writing company" serving the University of North Carolina and its student athletes........... :rolleyes:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You must be overlooking the fact Anthony would easily get that much for endorsing the Dean Smith Corporation, the "Afro and African-American term paper writing company" serving the University of North Carolina and its student athletes........... :rolleyes:

I'll go out on a limb and suggest the starting QB for Clemson can pull in more BS shady cash than the starting PG for UNC.

Reaction Score
I'll go out on a limb and suggest the starting QB for Clemson can pull in more BS shady cash than the starting PG for UNC.

but obviously not as much as a female gymnast from UCLA.

Reaction Score
but obviously not as much as a female gymnast from UCLA.

Gymnastics and dance is very cultish...lots of younger gymnasts looking up to those girls are influenced to buy gear and other stuff. More so than the average middle aged Clemson college football fan.

Reaction Score

>>Imagine a major-college quarterback with a sizable social media following who posts entertaining and informative updates about his life on and off the field. Now imagine a restaurant hiring him as its pitchman and paying him $500 or $1,000 each time he posts content with its messaging.

Blake Lawrence crunched the numbers on earning potential for that imaginary quarterback based on the QB having 40,000 followers on Twitter and 50,000 on Instagram. The co-founder and CEO of athlete marketing platform Opendorse based his projection on a popular college athlete having a market value approximate to that of a retired, well-known pro athlete; active pros command higher fees.

Lawrence said it would be reasonable to assume the quarterback would sign separate deals with 10 local businesses and post a total of 60 to 120 sponsored content messages a year on one of his social media accounts.

“So quickly it’s $60,000 to $120,000 a year,” Lawrence said. “You can see how the math adds up pretty quick in terms of opportunities for high level student-athletes to earn a significant sum of money from activating their social and digital media presence on behalf of sponsors in the local community.”<<

>>“Will some athletes make less than $1,000 (per year)? Yes. Can some athletes make more than $100,000? Yes,” INFLCR founder and CEO Jim Cavale said. “Are any millionaires going to be made off this? Very few, if any.”<<

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom