How much did Nike charge us for that amazing new logo? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How much did Nike charge us for that amazing new logo?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
That's because I believe it was in the student charter that Jonathan is to be an all white husky with a blue eye. I vaguely remember this from freshman orientation in 04
I didn't know, or at least remember, that. Apparently, given the most recent incarnation of Jonathan, something has changed.

Reaction Score
The new logo sucks.

(1) There is no rule that logos have to be "scary." The Celtics logo is not scary. The Whalers logo is not scary. The Cowboys logo is not scary. Etc. Nor is there a rule that animal logos have to be scary (see Kansas, Penn State, Texas).

(2) It looks like the old Quebec Nordiques logo, if the Nordiques were a minor league baseball team.

(3) Changing the logo for the sake of changing it is extremely low-rent. Sports brands do not replace their logos. Our brand was built 'under' and associated with the old logo. The new logo has also spawned other gimmicks, such as copying LSU with the eyes on the field and putting the eyes on the helmets (which looks ridiculous).

I strongly prefer the old logo and won't buy anything with the new logo on it. So there.

Reaction Score
Star Trek or Nike?

s-l300.jpg
LOL..nice

Reaction Score
It was a mistake getting rid of the old logo in favor of a generic one and I am wondering what was wrong with the 'unique" Husky logo that was unmistakably UConn. The new logo, while not being the exact replica, does resemble a half dozen(if not more) Husky logos in the college ranks. Extremely poor decision.

Reaction Score
With the history of white huskies that we have, it will probably be brought back. Cannot understand why anyone would destroy that uniqueness. Sports marketing 101.

Reaction Score
The new logo sucks.

(1) There is no rule that logos have to be "scary." The Celtics logo is not scary. The Whalers logo is not scary. The Cowboys logo is not scary. Etc. Nor is there a rule that animal logos have to be scary (see Kansas, Penn State, Texas).

(2) It looks like the old Quebec Nordiques logo, if the Nordiques were a minor league baseball team.

(3) Changing the logo for the sake of changing it is extremely low-rent. Sports brands do not replace their logos. Our brand was built 'under' and associated with the old logo. The new logo has also spawned other gimmicks, such as copying LSU with the eyes on the field and putting the eyes on the helmets (which looks ridiculous).

I strongly prefer the old logo and won't buy anything with the new logo on it. So there.

I've always thought of the Pats as low rent but had these mounting SB championships to contend with of late. Now I can point to their logo change, thank you.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
IMG_3460.PNG
The new logo sucks.

The similarity to the Quebec Nordiques logo is uncanny

Reaction Score
I've always thought of the Pats as low rent but had these mounting SB championships to contend with of late. Now I can point to their logo change, thank you.

They've had the current logo for 25 years. All of their success has been with the new logo. Do you think it makes sense now for them to change their logo, when their success is associated with the new logo? (And in case it isn't clear, I'm not saying their success is caused by the new logo.) Also, the Patriots' old logo did not really look good on a helmet because of its proportions. The new logo looks better on helmets. In other words, there is an aesthetic justification for the change. UConn did not have this problem, and did not make such a change; the proportions are basically the same. There was no aesthetic justification. The old logo is vastly superior aesthetically, in my opinion.

The similarity to the Quebec Nordiques logo is uncanny

It was an alternative logo. Research...lol.

288.gif

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
They've had the current logo for 25 years. All of their success has been with the new logo. Do you think it makes sense now for them to change their logo, when their success is associated with the new logo? (And in case it isn't clear, I'm not saying their success is caused by the new logo.) Also, the Patriots' old logo did not really look good on a helmet because of its proportions. The new logo looks better on helmets. In other words, there is an aesthetic justification for the change. UConn did not have this problem, and did not make such a change; the proportions are basically the same. There was no aesthetic justification. The old logo is vastly superior aesthetically, in my opinion.

288.gif

Yeah they never used that logo and obviously it's 100x worse than UConn's.

Reaction Score
Yeah they never used that logo and obviously it's 100x worse than UConn's.

Is it really 100x worse? I don't think it is that much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Nike's designers were inspired by it, the similarity is extraordinary.

Happy Jonathan was truly original. It was excellent logo that was scrapped for literally no reason. It was one of the dumber decisions made by the UConn athletic department lately, and given the recent FB hires that is saying something.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is it really 100x worse? I don't think it is that much worse. I wouldn't be surprised if Nike's designers were inspired by it, the similarity is extraordinary.

Happy Jonathan was truly original. It was excellent logo that was scrapped for literally no reason. It was one of the dumber decisions made by the UConn athletic department lately, and given the recent FB hires that is saying something.

I like the old one better too but it's probably time to get over it.

Reaction Score

288.gif

Out in the rest of the country neither UConn logo is that recognizable. The new logo is more attractive to recruits and is more in line with most consider a husky.

Yes, the pats have had most of their success since the change. My brother who, to my knowledge, has been a fan since 2002 but claims a much longer fandom says they've had a wildly successful past. Anything I can use to shake my head at him helps.

Last edited:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
If baseball can have the script C (awesome btw) then Football can bring back the block C with blue helmets. Goose-gander husky sort o thang.

Reaction Score
Out in the rest of the country neither UConn logo is that recognizable. The new logo is more attractive to recruits and is more in line with most consider a husky.

The old logo was definitely more recognizable to people elsewhere in the country than the new logo. As for recruits, I'm not sure why any recruit would care about the logo, nor am I aware of any evidence that they prefer the new logo.

I like the old one better too but it's probably time to get over it.

I'm not going to start a protest about it, but I'm not buying anything with the UConn Nordiques logo. Happy Jonathan forever!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
The old logo was definitely more recognizable to people elsewhere in the country than the new logo. As for recruits, I'm not sure why any recruit would care about the logo, nor am I aware of any evidence that they prefer the new logo.

I'm not going to start a protest about it, but I'm not buying anything with the UConn Nordiques logo. Happy Jonathan forever!

But if they somehow come up with a logo where an igloo is holding a hockey stick I'm buying everything.

Reaction Score
Presentation1logo_opt.jpg

The old logo looks like someone who is happy, relaxed, comfortable, etc. He is happy because of all of the winning UConn did when he was the logo. The new logo looks like someone who was told to "make an intimidating face" when posing for a picture. If I were going to a bar, I would much rather hang out with the old logo than the new logo.

I hate the new logo. Is that clear? **** the new logo.

Reaction Score
That was not an alternative Nordiques logo. That was going to replace the old logo but the team moved to Colorado instead. That new logo is so bad that it makes the move to Colorado look good.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The U of Wisconsin sued something like 158 HS teams for using their 'W' helmet logo several years ago. You have to do it to protect your trademark brand.

The U of Georgia and Packers have used the same helmet logo for as long as I can remember. I've always wondered which one had it first.
Rye High School (NY) used the Green Bay logo on their helmet for decades. They may still use it.

Reaction Score
Anyone want to take a shot on the odds that ivrytontusker let's this dumb duck*ing argument go before the next time they change the logo?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Presentation1logo_opt.jpg

The old logo looks like someone who is happy, relaxed, comfortable, etc. He is happy because of all of the winning UConn did when he was the logo. The new logo looks like someone who was told to "make an intimidating face" when posing for a picture. If I were going to a bar, I would much rather hang out with the old logo than the new logo.

I hate the new logo. Is that clear? **** the new logo.
[Insert WTF jackie chan meme here]

Reaction Score
Rye High School (NY) used the Green Bay logo on their helmet for decades. They may still use it.
They still do...you see the red & black G sticker all over the place here in Port Chester.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
I'll beat the dead horse one more time ...

In Texas, I'm surrounded by Big 12 and SEC fans. It's unanimous here that the block "C" dark blue helmet was our best. It's simple, masculine, clean, and (most importantly) easily memorable and recognizable.

I'll get off my high (dead) horse now.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom