How many wide open threes can we give up? | The Boneyard

How many wide open threes can we give up?

Reaction Score
We would go to that double team at the top of the key. And one pass later CS would get a wide open three. It was insane.

Reaction Score
We would go to that double team at the top of the key. And one pass later CS would get a wide open three. It was insane.
The announcers said that they get their points from 3, so you would think that KO knew that and would explain that to the team. Once Morgan got hot you would also think that the order to cover him behind the line would have gone out. It’s the players, it’s the coach, it’s everything.

Reaction Score
They would drive to the right or left and that Lamar kid was camped out in the opposite corner and Adams or Vital would collapse down and this kid was wide open. Happened all game.

Reaction Score
The overhelping by the guards in insane. Anderson, Vital, and Adams constantly help when it’s not necessary, leaving their guy wide open for 3. Sometimes they try to recover but these are small guys who aren’t going to bother anyone’s shot. I refuse to believe that Ollie teaches that as part of a defensive scheme.

Reaction Score
It's all on KO - watch the game see how stupid Vital was, Adams was and how lazy they were. Vital leaves to double team at the worst times every game. He left Battle the other night when we cut it to 7 and the clock was running under 5 seconds only to leave him wide open for the big 3. Today left Morgan twice to help ob a guy who was being guarded well - he's not a smart defender, actually rather bad. And he and Adams live to go under pick rather than fight through the top. Hey YES it's coaching no matter how you spin it, but again these guys either don't get it, don't care or are just not that good. There's blame to toss around everywhere.

Tough to watch for sure for so many reasons.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
It's all on KO - watch the game see how stupid Vital was, Adams was and how lazy they were. Vital leaves to double team at the worst times every game. He left Battle the other night when we cut it to 7 and the clock was running under 5 seconds only to leave him wide open for the big 3. Today left Morgan twice to help ob a guy who was being guarded well - he's not a smart defender, actually rather bad. And he and Adams live to go under pick rather than fight through the top. Hey YES it's coaching no matter how you spin it, but again these guys either don't get it, don't care or are just not that good. There's blame to toss around everywhere.

Tough to watch for sure for so many reasons.
I'd give you two likes if they let me, but Kenny11 got the other.

Reaction Score
KO is not instilling confidence at all. I was one of the hearty souls at the game. UConn gets down 8-0 and KO is stomping around and put a sub or two in....I am thinking how about you CALL A TIMEOUT?!! He lets them play through the 16 min TO. Uconn gets to 11-8 and Dixon calls a TO which was laughable at the time because KO still hadn’t used one. He just doesn’t seem to have a feel for the game at all. He gives us platitudes but there are no results showing. Terrible basketball being played......but at least I caught a t shirt!

Reaction Score
Ollie has his team playing the worst defense I’ve ever seen. Which is shocking since his job is on the line.

Reaction Score
The announcers said that they get their points from 3, so you would think that KO knew that and would explain that to the team. Once Morgan got hot you would also think that the order to cover him behind the line would have gone out. It’s the players, it’s the coach, it’s everything.

It’s the players for not listening but ultimately it’s KO for not making them pay. Guys hit as hell you take a guy out for not finding the shooter and you tell the guy going in “..if you don’t have a hand in his face at least when he shoots it you’re out too” .. It’s amazing he got 11 threes off with capable defenders out there. Teams are going to get open 3’s but a guy on a roll you can’t leave him, not even to Help.

Reaction Score
It’s the players for not listening but ultimately it’s KO for not making them pay.

Agree that it's the players and I wish the players would show more of a sense of pride and ownership here. They're representing the school and the players that came before them.

Reaction Score
The kid that went for 30 was 10/52 from 3 on the year (19%) before making 7 of 11 tonight.

Some of that has to be bad luck, but yeah, definitely a problem.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
This trend of players going off on us to have career highs is nothing new. It used to happen constantly, even when Calhoun was still the coach. I'm in no way trying to absolve Ollie of any blame here, just pointing out a long time historical trend. I remember the kid from Fairleigh Dickinson, Allen I think, who scored something like 43 on us in an NCAA tournament game back in the 1990's.

Horatio

15 years no Madden
Reaction Score
This trend of players going off on us to have career highs is nothing new. It used to happen constantly, even when Calhoun was still the coach. I'm in no way trying to absolve Ollie of any blame here, just pointing out a long time historical trend. I remember the kid from Fairleigh Dickinson, Allen I think, who scored something like 43 on us in an NCAA tournament game back in the 1990's.

In 2009 we were introduced to Jeremy Lin of Havard. He had a career high 30 pts and 2 dunks against us.

Harvard Hangs Tight With No. 13 UConn | Sports | The Harvard Crimson

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Morgan averages 8 points per game and shoots 28.4% from three, and that's AFTER going off vs us on Saturday

The team shoots 31.7% from three

I don't think KO's game plan was to shut down Morgan or to stop them from shooting 3's

Reaction Score
The kid that went for 30 was 10/52 from 3 on the year (19%) before making 7 of 11 tonight.

Some of that has to be bad luck, but yeah, definitely a problem.

Yeah I have always looked at the bad luck scenario with guys like that. But I guess eventually when you're the team who seems to have that happen more than most, has to be a reason huh. I mean KO not going crazy pointing at people when he was banging down 3's, for not getting to him amazes me. People should have been sitting immediately if they left him alone. Good teams know where the shooters are prior to the game, real good teams adjust to the hot shooters during the game. UConn not so much.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

Preston Shumpert anybody?

We single handily almost put him into the HOF

Reaction Score
KO is not instilling confidence at all. I was one of the hearty souls at the game. UConn gets down 8-0 and KO is stomping around and put a sub or two in....I am thinking how about you CALL A TIMEOUT?!! He lets them play through the 16 min TO. Uconn gets to 11-8 and Dixon calls a TO which was laughable at the time because KO still hadn’t used one. He just doesn’t seem to have a feel for the game at all. He gives us platitudes but there are no results showing. Terrible basketball being played.but at least I caught a t shirt!

He does that Phil Jackson thing where he tries to let his team play out of their struggles instead of calling a timeout. However, phil Jackson had Jordan and Pippen and Shaq and Kobe when he used that philosophy. Ollie has David O and sniper vital.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom