How many toes do you have in at this point? | The Boneyard

How many toes do you have in at this point?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
10. As incompetent as the team looks most of the time, UConn is 3 possessions from being 13-1.

But please, run offense with a goal on Saturday. The offense right now is taking 8 seconds to dribble the ball up, a couple of passes, guys run the baseline, then we watch Purvis/DHam/Gibbs try to pull a rabbit out of their butt. Get Miller isolated on the post. Run some elevator screens for Gibbs. Wings should be more active than jogging from one corner to the other depending on where the ball is. I can't watch Hamilton dribble into four guys anymore. Please, run something.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I still, and always will, have 10 toes in.

As a lifelong UConn basketball fan who is passionate about the team and invests time and money in them, I can have 10 toes in and still be critical of KO (moreso him than the players). This team has experience and talent and we are not getting the most of it... there deserves to be criticism and that has nothing to do with my commitment to the team.

Reaction Score
Well said '916. Personally, I'm down to 9 toes at this point. If the problem were the players, it would be more correctable. I understand the KO is still in OJT, but the lack of accountability -- at least publicly -- is what bugs me. Also, he will never have any sway over the refs, it's just not his nature. I can except that, but I think it handicaps us.

Reaction Score
10. As incompetent as the team looks most of the time, UConn is 3 possessions from being 13-1.

But please, run offense with a goal on Saturday. The offense right now is taking 8 seconds to dribble the ball up, a couple of passes, guys run the baseline, then we watch Purvis/DHam/Gibbs try to pull a rabbit out of their butt. Get Miller isolated on the post. Run some elevator screens for Gibbs. Wings should be more active than jogging from one corner to the other depending on where the ball is. I can't watch Hamilton dribble into four guys anymore. Please, run something.
You are so right. I am watching the game saying "nobody's moving. guy dribling away time, while everyone stands still.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Run some elevator screens for Gibbs.

Our bigs are the worst screeners I think I have ever seen. Doesn't help the fact that the officials are in these guys heads whenever they try to set one.

Reaction Score
Well said '916. Personally, I'm down to 9 toes at this point. If the problem were the players, it would be more correctable. I understand the KO is still in OJT, but the lack of accountability -- at least publicly -- is what bugs me. Also, he will never have any sway over the refs, it's just not his nature. I can except that, but I think it handicaps us.
KO's inability to work refs is what concerns me the most. We went from watching an absolute master of working refs to a nice guy who doesn't have it in him. We used to frequently make more free throws than other teams attempted. We've lost 3 very close games that could easily be in the win column if KO was more proficient about working refs.

Reaction Score
We can't change KO's personality anymore than we could have changed JC's. He is who he is. And when he tries to work the refs, he comes off as whiny and gets T's.

As for fouls, I think that except for Adams, we don't have players who can take the ball to the rim. DHam gets into the lane, but it's to pull up for a J, or to make a pass.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Apparently more than the team or the coach.

I didnt see "10 toes in" out of either last night.

Reaction Score
I missed last night's game as I am in VT and CBS Sports wasn't available anywhere local. I am ten toes in. Always will be. But I am troubled by scoring 53 points at home. This team should look to run every chance it gets. I truly believe that we win this game if the tempo was into the mid 60's or 70 point range. Adams and Purvis would shine in that scenario and I bet Omar would be a real spark as well. Historically, the 55-53 rock fights are not kind to us, despite the Butler NC rock fight.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I missed last night's game as I am in VT and CBS Sports wasn't available anywhere local. I am ten toes in. Always will be. But I am troubled by scoring 53 points at home. This team should look to run every chance it gets. I truly believe that we win this game if the tempo was into the mid 60's or 70 point range. Adams and Purvis would shine in that scenario and I bet Omar would be a real spark as well. Historically, the 55-53 rock fights are not kind to us, despite the Butler NC rock fight.

Agreed. In this case, what may amaze you is that we played a 55-53 rock fight and played horrible defense most of the night. Temple ran the clock down and then scored. Over and over. We looked helpless to stop them and it seemed like every single non three point shot went off the glass from the right side of the basket.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score

I don't believe UConn had any fast break points - that's pretty bad indeed. It also didn't help since Rodney was stripped on the couple of fast break attempts - he needs to protect the ball better. One of Purvis's strength was supposed to be finishing on the break. Gibbs is not a candidate for finishing at the rim. Hamilton is usually initiating because of his good defensive rebounding. Miller is always trailing. AB is not available for catching the Alley-Oops - Facey could on occasion. Adams has been both good and bad at finishing as well.

Reaction Score
10 toes in but I'm trying to keep my feet in too.

Reaction Score
I had 10 toes in. I want to have 10 toes in. Unfortunately...
Gibbs dribbled one off and I was down to 9,
Nolan tripped over one trying to take a charge and I was down to 8,
Hamilton shot one contested from three, missed, and I was down to 7,
The refs fouled one out and I was down to 6,
Purvis tried to shoot two of them from the foul line and missed both and I was down to 4,
Miller wore one of them off asking for the ball in the post and not getting it and I was down to 3,
Facey tried to put one of them back and was stuffed and I was down to 2,
KO put one of them on bench inexplicably when I needed it the most and I was down to 1,
Brimah broke the last one trying to rebound it and now I have none.

I'm on stumps over here. However, hope springs eternal and I plan to grow them back in time for the Memphis game!

Last edited:

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Our bigs are the worst screeners I think I have ever seen. Doesn't help the fact that the officials are in these guys heads whenever they try to set one.

Someone else made this point the other day, maybe @Gurleyman , but bunch of this is on the guy w the ball. They aren't patient enough to wait for the bigs to get set, so the big gets called for a moving screen.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I'm drowning

I'm beginning to think I was hoodwinked by my rich Nigerian uncle

Reaction Score
I still, and always will, have 10 toes in.

As a lifelong UConn basketball fan who is passionate about the team and invests time and money in them, I can have 10 toes in and still be critical of KO (moreso him than the players). This team has experience and talent and we are not getting the most of it... there deserves to be criticism and that has nothing to do with my commitment to the team.

Yeah, but Dham was a problem last game and really last 2 games.

Reaction Score
Sounds like a lot of people are doing the Hokey-Pokey.
No spitting match dogpause but I think a better question is how many toes does the team have in? Or the staff for that matter. As for the Hokey-Pokey that would be a great name for a play if they had one.

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Someone else made this point the other day, maybe @Gurleyman , but bunch of this is on the guy w the ball. They aren't patient enough to wait for the bigs to get set, so the big gets called for a moving screen.

Most definitely but watch the guys setting screens for the guys off the ball too. Its much of the same. Though I am not sure how much of that is also on the guy off the ball getting the screen not properly running around the screener.

Could also be that we have beanpoles trying set screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom