How many teams could win it all? | The Boneyard

How many teams could win it all?

How many teams have a decent shot at winning the NC?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 19 14.0%

Votes: 65 47.8%

Votes: 34 25.0%

Votes: 8 5.9%

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • >12

Votes: 8 5.9%

• Total voters
Reaction Score
When you're reviewing the rankings, how many teams do you look at and say "I wouldn't be shocked if this team won it all."

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
When you're reviewing the rankings, how many teams do you look at and say "I wouldn't be shocked if this team won it all."
For me it's 7....Stanford, SC, Baylor, Maryland, UCONN, A&M, and NC State. Louisville has somewhat of an outside shot but I doubt it happens, and I don't think any of the 3 seeds have the horses to win it all, though I think they can (and will) knock off several of the top 7 teams.

Reaction Score
I would drop NC State from that list..they are good but not NCAA Champ good...

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I put the top 8. My question mark is NC St, just because of these teams they are the one with no FF experience in coaching or players and while it will be a strange (unprecedented) experience this year, it still helps having been their before.

I think not having all the craziness of fans and hoopla will make it an easier experience, but there will still be distractions - and all the other coaches have dealt with them.

Reaction Score
I put the top 8. My question mark is NC St, just because of these teams they are the one with no FF experience in coaching or players and while it will be a strange (unprecedented) experience this year, it still helps having been their before.

I think not having all the craziness of fans and hoopla will make it an easier experience, but there will still be distractions - and all the other coaches have dealt with them.
I’m not much of a NC State fan and have been low on them for most of the year, but at the end of the day, they have three top-five wins (SC, LVille x2) and none of those were at home. They don’t look like the favorite, but they don’t have any obvious deficiencies that I’ve seen.

For me, the most pressing issues for each of the top teams is as follows:
  • UConn - shooting, overreliance on PB
  • Stanford - unproven against the best of the best, thin at the 4/5 spots
  • Texas A&M - unconventional post play (a low-impact 5 and a 4 for whom few plays are run) and an affinity for close games
  • South Carolina - shooting, turnovers, consistent production from someone not named Aliyah Boston
  • NC State - ? Not much jumps out at me. A few iffy losses; unpredictable offensive production at times
  • Baylor - shooting, turnovers
  • Maryland - defense

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I’ll go with the top 8, though Louisville is the most marginal. In normal years, the number is 3-5.

Reaction Score
I think you could derive anywhere from 5 to 10, realistically but I’ll try and tighten it up some and in no certain order - SC, Baylor, UCONN.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
I’m not much of a NC State fan and have been low on them for most of the year, but at the end of the day, they have three top-five wins (SC, LVille x2) and none of those were at home. They don’t look like the favorite, but they don’t have any obvious deficiencies that I’ve seen.

For me, the most pressing issues for each of the top teams is as follows:
  • UConn - shooting, overreliance on PB
  • Stanford - unproven against the best of the best, thin at the 4/5 spots
  • Texas A&M - unconventional post play (a low-impact 5 and a 4 for whom few plays are run) and an affinity for close games
  • South Carolina - shooting, turnovers, consistent production from someone not named Aliyah Boston
  • NC State - ? Not much jumps out at me. A few iffy losses; unpredictable offensive production at times
  • Baylor - shooting, turnovers
  • Maryland - defense

MD and Baylor have both found a lot of success this year with "untraditional line-ups." MD doesn't really have a center; just a bunch of very talented forwards (Collins, Reese, Bibby, Miller). Would be interesting to see them go up against a SC, NC State, or Baylor.

Meanwhile, Baylor has made Didi Richards into a PG, despite...not being a PG. But she can defend 1-4 better than almost anyone.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I would drop NC State from that list..they are good but not NCAA Champ good...

I think they're a good dark horse team. They remind me of 2011 Texas A&M when they had a veteran roster led by a very good big post player, although no top 5 kids on the roster. Everyone knew they were a solid team but I don't think anyone expected they'd win the title that year. This season feels wide open so I could see them putting together a string of good games and winning.

Reaction Score
To win six consecutive games, you need a special player to dominate throughout the tournament. The only team I can think of in the top 8 that "I believe" don't have that type of player is Texas A&M. They have some solid players but they don't have "the" player like Cunane, Evans, Boston, Bueckers, Owusu, Jones and Smith.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Little Carolina, NC State, Uconn, Baylor, MD, Stanford, and to a lesser extent TAMU. Can't see anyone else winning it.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
technically any team in the tournament could win. Imagine a sceenerio where every team except one tests positive! and has to drop out!

Also they do play the games for a reason.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
:rolleyes:
Went with 10. I know, crazy. But last year and this year being what they were. Kids quarantine for about 3 weeks for the tournament. Games mostly within conference. Do we really have any idea how good teams are and do we have any idea of anything?

My thoughts were can any of the 1 seeds win. Answer was "Da". How about a 2 seed winning. Answer " oh h*ll yes" can a 3 seed win? Since 4, 3 seeds have won I've got to go with, that's possible.

Actually. Now that I think about it I should have said 12 not 10. :)

Reaction Score
MD and Baylor have both found a lot of success this year with "untraditional line-ups." MD doesn't really have a center; just a bunch of very talented forwards (Collins, Reese, Bibby, Miller). Would be interesting to see them go up against a SC, NC State, or Baylor.

Meanwhile, Baylor has made Didi Richards into a PG, despite...not being a PG. But she can defend 1-4 better than almost anyone.
Maryland’s post situation isn’t an issue for me simply because their 4 and 5 position rotation is so skilled. I do think MD could be in trouble if they run into a team with a dominant big and enough firepower outside her (SC and NCST come to mind).

Teams like Texas A&M should want nothing to do with Maryland because they simply cannot score enough.

I don’t expect Maryland to pull some incredible defensive tactics out of nowhere after not showing them all season. But I am curious how Maryland will fare against a stellar defensive squad. Something tells me they’ll still hang 75 on UConn or SC—the x-factor will be whether they can be outscored,

Reaction Score
I voted for six - UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Baylor and NC State

Alas, my Louisville Cardinals don't have what it takes.

NC State is my dark horse and will be my rooting interest when/if Louisville is eliminated.

Although I think UConn wins it.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I voted for six - UConn, Stanford, South Carolina, Texas A&M, Baylor and NC State

Alas, my Louisville Cardinals don't have what it takes.

NC State is my dark horse and will be my rooting interest when/if Louisville is eliminated.

Although I think UConn wins it.
@LETTERL making more edits to Christmas card list.

Reaction Score
There was no vote for 3, so I checked four. But I think it's Connecticut, Stanford, or Baylor.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom