How many Penn St transfers does UConn get, if any, and whom are most likely? | The Boneyard

How many Penn St transfers does UConn get, if any, and whom are most likely?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“@desmondconner: #UConn football coach @PaulPasqualoni said players looking to leave #PennState have to contact school. School can't contact players first”

Reaction Score
would we take Malik Golden if he decided he wanted to be a Husky after all?

Reaction Score
I would be surprised if we got more than 1. Their players can look anywhere. Having one former PSU player on the roster helps. The coaches can't contact players, but he probably can.

Reaction Score
would we take Malik Golden if he decided he wanted to be a Husky after all?
He's stayed out of trouble right? If so, IMO we'd definitely find room.

Reaction Score
A bus load of them . . . they could have the Huskies in a BCS Bowl game this season - which as innocents in this whole Paterno/Sandusky scandal, would give them the last laugh on the NCAA and Big 12. Fast track . . . if these kids were good enough for Penn State, they'd fit into the UConn line-ups real well (IMO) and since they are coming off of a season where they were in the hunt for the Big 12 championship up until the latter part of the season, they ought to be able to make a difference in the Big East. Certainly they shouldn't be anxious about lining up against the likes of Temple, Maryland, Rutgers and Syracuse (programs that PSU pretty much owned).

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
fortt
redd
golden
kiley
maybe a few ny kids.
an OL or 2 would be huge

thats who i would target but who knows...

i have been told thru a friend that fortt is already looking around.

Reaction Score
Now that the cloud of uncertainty is now a hammer, how do you stay at PSU when you have 2-4 years of eligibility left? How do you even recruit to that school?

(sadly, their recruiting over the next 4 years will still be better than ours)

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Now that the cloud of uncertainty is now a hammer, how do you stay at PSU when you have 2-4 years of eligibility left? How do you even recruit to that school?

false.

Reaction Score

That's an all-to-possible a reality. And that would be a shame. This is the time for UConn to close the gap with the "Beast of the East". Time to make huge inroads.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I would be surprised if we got more than 1. Their players can look anywhere. Having one former PSU player on the roster helps. The coaches can't contact players, but he probably can.

I would be happily surprised if we got more than none. Nice of Dez to tweet Coach P's message.

Reaction Score
We will be in the mix for a BCS slot the next two years so we have a good chance to pick up a couple of players. Hopefully the two CT players.

Reaction Score
I would be happily surprised if we got more than none. Nice of Dez to tweet Coach P's message.

"None" would be my best guess as well. I'm not sure you're going to see a wholesale exodus of starters in any event. Yes, at USC people who were down the depth chart bailed out, and you'll see that, but if you're a college football player the two most important things you are playing for are furthering your status with NFL scouts and getting a degree. Neither of those are being imperiled because the team wins less games, there is less depth behind you or because you can't play in a bowl game.,

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
"None" would be my best guess as well. I'm not sure you're going to see a wholesale exodus of starters in any event. Yes, at USC people who were down the depth chart bailed out, and you'll see that, but if you're a college football player the two most important things you are playing for are furthering your status with NFL scouts and getting a degree. Neither of those are being imperiled because the team wins less games, there is less depth behind you or because you can't play in a bowl game.,

I do agree with you... somewhat. None seems likely but I wouldn't be surprised if we picked up 1 or 2 kids either. We do already have a Penn State transfer. It's not inconceivable that we get more. That being said where I think we might see an uptick is in future recruiting. There are just less scholarships now in the northeast to go around, kids looking to stay in the northeast at a Division I-FBS program have one less option. It might even be one kid removed -- kids who might have gone to Penn State now take a slot someplace else.. that slot bumps a kid to us.

I also think there's a difference between USC and Penn State in that the nature of the infractions are vastly different. It's one thing to associate yourself with a program that covered up recruiting violations... its another to associate yourself with a school that covered up the crimes of and protected a child rapist.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I see a lot leaving next year. You can't blame a kid for not wanting to play his entire college career under a cloud.

It will be interesting to see how many stay. If it's most of them, then it says a lot about the character of the kids there.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Saw on a Penn state message board that Redd is transferring and UConn is in the mix. have no idea if it is true or not.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
If it's most of them, then it says a lot about the character of the kids there.

What would it say about the character of the kids there? Good or bad?

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

Well said. None of these sanctions impact a players ability to play at the next level. If you are a junior or senior and already on NFL scouts radars, why leave, have to learn a new system, and possibly slip down the charts? Instead, you stay, be the star on the team, and rise up and get paid in the NFL. I don't see any reason for an upperclassman who is a starter to leave. PSU is a great education and you still get to play football.

Now, incoming recruits might be a bit different but I'm not totally convinced that will take a big hit either....time will tell I guess.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
What would it say about the character of the kids there? Good or bad?

If a kid decides to stick with his teammates knowing they can't play for a championship and will face the scorn of every opposing fanbase for the rest of his college career, when he has the opportunity to play elsewhere, you really need to ask?

Reaction Score
If a kid decides to stick with his teammates knowing they can't play for a championship and will face the scorn of every opposing fanbase for the rest of his college career, when he has the opportunity to play elsewhere, you really need to ask?

Maybe its just us two but WTH are you trying to say?

Reaction Score
Somebody who I work with would definitely know what Fortt and Redd are thinking. I'll try and find out more tomorrow and report back here.

Reaction Score
With a week or so until camp opens across the country, I am not sure you will see a ton of kids jump ship now. However, I could see PSU players treating this year like a "contract" year in the NFL where players are looking around at who will have spots available, depth charts, etc and looking to see if there are greener pastures for next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom