OT: How many of you are/were players/coaches? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: How many of you are/were players/coaches?

Reaction Score
All conference in HS.....averaged 15ppg 6reb 5ass 2stl, 2 triple doubles senior year, played in junior college....

Goes to show you why I like players who can play both offense & defense & all around because at the end of the day I believe that’s how you cut down nets....

Well I do not coach Basketball or Football (always my dream) I do manage hundreds of people and overlook multiple locations throughout the northeast in my career....

Reaction Score
Hey Mau, did you play against Mattituck (Now Naugatuck Valley), if so, when.? They were coached by the great Bob Ruderman who was my freshman BB coach at Wolcott HS in '68. He was so young we were kinda buddies. He's now a real estate agent in Florida.

Yeah Ruderman actually also coached at Wolcott when I was in HS (best player was a big wide kid named ONeill I think, we had switched from the CCIL) , then he went to Mattatuck in late 70's early 80's. Used to see him after those days at a golf outing the AD from Mattatuck threw every year at Pine Valley - John ???... always seemed like a good guy.

Reaction Score
Played for American International in Springfield. Tried out for the Celtics. Coached in HS in Connecticut and Mass. Coached the Northeastern Huskies. Coached the UCONN Huskies. Took a few years off to work for ESPN. Currently coaching DIII St Josephs - Chief
Well played.

Reaction Score
Fair enough. But coaching is way harder than some of these people make it. Hey, I have evolved a lot in just two years. You could probably find a post where I disparge some coach, maybe even Ollie, I admit it. But I have realized it is not easy at all as of late. A positive armchair coach is one thing, but some of these negative armchair coaches who ALSO have no hope to evolve past that negativity, at that, are another thing.
You're not getting payed over 3 million dollars a year to coach. D1 coaches make a buttload of money, if it was easy everyone would be doing it. Expectations come with all of that.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Played at Fairfield Prep and have graduated to LA Fitness.
There are some really good (d-3 and d-2) type players at certain LA Fitnesses in the state. Way more difficult than playing against practice squad kids at UConn's gym.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Played in High School, top free throw shooter in practice!
Coached my son's team of 11 year-olds to the district championship in SD.

Reaction Score
I played my whole life growing up. My team won a couple town league championships in West Hartford when I was young. In high school I was the starting point guard at Cheshire Academy. I was slated to go to college and play D2, but family issues kept me from attending college. A bit later in life I was a sports writer. I covered the Huskies for about 5 years (including the 2004 national championship).

Reaction Score
There are some really good (d-3 and d-2) type players at certain LA Fitnesses in the state. Way more difficult than playing against practice squad kids at UConn's gym.

More 16 year old kids who get cut from their HS in my neck of the woods. I need this confidence boost.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Played rec forever and coached a couple years after college when I had the time. One year was third grade “this is how we dribble” league and the next year I coached a fledgling team of 6th graders who didn’t make the travel team and their parents bitched so we played a bunch of games vs travel teams and got absolutely wrecked. My claim to fame was being one of the few players in our league that could actually dribble AND make a layup with my left hand! Rec hoops was a bigger deal than the HS team in town. No doubt the rec league all stars could have beat the HS team most years. Had a lot of guys who quit HS ball. phenomenal players but didn’t want the commitment of the school team.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
More 16 year old kids who get cut from their HS in my neck of the woods. I need this confidence boost.
Yep, we don't go to the same LA Fitness.

Reaction Score
My father was a damn good small college coach in NYS with a few COY awards. Two brothers were 6-5 and played in college; I'm not.

The best thing about being a college coach in the 60s & 70s was a Green Card. Gave my Dad access to all HS games in NYS sections free. And connected him. Thus, I saw a ton of great games and good players.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Played in HS in NEPSAC but not a starter. My team had a couple guys now in the NE B.B. Hall of Fame, who played college ball. Got one invite to play for a D3 school, but instead attended a D1 school. Went to walk-on tryouts my freshman year but got cut, coach was a certain recently-fired Italian guy. Lots of intramural ball in college and med school. And men’s league in town until a few years ago - a lot more fights in that league than I would have imagined.

Coached some girls youth basketball (I have three daughters), though sadly none of them got the basketball bug.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score

Ha, not sure what LA Fitness you go to but Ray Allen use to play at an LA Fitness in CT.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Ha, not sure what LA Fitness you go to but Ray Allen use to play at an LA Fitness in CT.
I think South Windsor. Also played at Court House Plus in Vernon from time to time.

Reaction Score

Most of the good runs are in the mid morning when I unfortunately have to work. Mostly slightly out of shape formerly decent HS players but occasionally there will be guys who played D1.

Reaction Score
Coached all youth levels through middle school. Had multiple undefeated and championship teams along the way. Will probably coach again when the nest is empty. Love coaching kids.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom