How many Big East Teams won NCAA Basketball Championships B/4 they were in the conferance? | The Boneyard

How many Big East Teams won NCAA Basketball Championships B/4 they were in the conferance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The answer is two. Only Markette and Cincinnati actually won a tourney before their B/E membership.
Both Post ACC raid additions.
Did Georgetown, Syracuse, St Johns make the Big East Elite or did the big East and its New York City media market make these teams and UConn elite. These were decent local programs but certainly never at the level attained in the BIG EAST. Did Pitt even have a basketball team. Providence and Seton Hall , and even Depaul have better basketball histories than Pitt.
With New York still the hub , the additions of Temple and Memphis ,and a Media savy guy(ala Dave Gavittand hopefully Aresco) at its head the basketball side will be bounce back in a heartbeat.
Football and football revenue are another issue.
But what do we actually deserve to be in football?
Hell we were never even a good Div 1A program. State residents who watch the mens and women's teams games barely know UConn has a Div 1 team.
If the recent football team ever had a 9-1 record in football it would be the toughest ticket in the state.
We would be a hot commodity. The one year we make the BCS bowl after winning 7 games in a row the stoty is not a cinderella but guess whose coming to dinner. Its hard to stop negative press.
I believe Connecticut with 3,500,000 people in a tiny area with ready access to another 5,000,000
should have never found itself in the position were in .Until you live out of the state its hard to understand compactness as a virtue.
The entire state of Ky is about the same population. They have two major football teams.

Reaction Score
Sorry about forgetting Louisville especially this week.
I watched both those games. Old age is not fun.
But even Louisville proves my point
Their program had fallen into despair in the latter Crum years.
I recall a year when we beat them and failed to get into the NCAA tourny because of our strenght of schedule.
My second home was Ky that year and I mentioned it to some UK fans who couldn't wait to use it on their instate rivals
We had 200 employees all BBall experts 199UK fans and 1 Loo-ville guy. That's Ky for Louisville.
Even Pitino's hire was seen as an act of desperation as his star had lost some luster.
They needed The Big East for basketball we needed them for football.
Bobby Petrino was comimg off some great years.
Unforunately he left and we didn't get what we wanted.
They got much more from us than we got from them.

Most of all I'm sorry to my French Teacher for Anglicizing the Good Pere' Marquette last name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom