How many arenas have you attended? | The Boneyard

How many arenas have you attended?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
For Women's Basketball, of course. College or Pro. For my wife and myself, it is 75, almost all over 10 years ago. 62 of them were Rutgers games, as we tried to go to as many away games as possible.

A few were USA Basketball related (scrimmages), WBCA Senior Games, and - oddly enough - all 3 pro leagues of recent vintage. We saw a WNBL team play against the Springfield team at CCSU; saw ABL games at the Palestra and one at the XL Center, and of course the WNBA at Madison Square Garden and in Phoenix. And 5 "other" college arenas where we went to a non-Rutgers game to see a former Rutgers person in a new location (mostly coaching).

A number of the venues are no more, including the only one that I wasn't at (but my wife was) - the old Knight Sport Complex in Miami, when she was visiting an old friend in the area, this was probably the mid-90's when we were first following. Some of the arenas were very, very nice, some (ok, quite a few) not so much.

So the question is - how many arenas have you been to? Any special?

Reaction Score
For Women's Basketball, of course. College or Pro. For my wife and myself, it is 75, almost all over 10 years ago. 62 of them were Rutgers games, as we tried to go to as many away games as possible.

A few were USA Basketball related (scrimmages), WBCA Senior Games, and - oddly enough - all 3 pro leagues of recent vintage. We saw a WNBL team play against the Springfield team at CCSU; saw ABL games at the Palestra and one at the XL Center, and of course the WNBA at Madison Square Garden and in Phoenix. And 5 "other" college arenas where we went to a non-Rutgers game to see a former Rutgers person in a new location (mostly coaching).

A number of the venues are no more, including the only one that I wasn't at (but my wife was) - the old Knight Sport Complex in Miami, when she was visiting an old friend in the area, this was probably the mid-90's when we were first following. Some of the arenas were very, very nice, some (ok, quite a few) not so much.

No where near your level. But I spent a number of years going to UConn games in your most favorite NJ BB site. For BE games too. Brown Arena? I liked that place it was (is this a good word?) Quaint.
Uof Hartford, OKLA Norman/OK City U, UALR, Arkansas Fayetville (sp), Providence, Annapolis (all upper deck seating looking down at the game), there are more that elude me at the moment. No Pro games. EDIT--I saw many many games at the XL /Civic Center all UCWBB
The only one that wasn't so great, mostly by the attendance was UALR. I think I was one of 10 at the game. I was teaching a co-sponsored Biomedical Engineering program with the local VA hospital, (mental of course).
What year were you at CCSU--I was there when it was TCC, A former military metal building was the gym/basketball arena.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
My resume` is pretty thin.

UConn:

Storrs
Hartford/XL
Mohegan Sun
Albany Regionals
Bridgeport Regionals
Columbus FF Nationwide
Tampa FF Amalie
USF Campus

Non-UConn College:

Amherst College
Smith College (friend`s daughter played for Wheaton)

Pro:

Mohegan Sun
Chicago Wintrust

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Wow, I'm severely lacking in this department compared to the OP. I've been in a few more arenas for men's hoops than women's, but not by a lot. Off the top off my head: Hec Ed for Washington and NCAA Tourney games (both 1st/2nd Round and a Regional), Key Arena for the Storm (haven't been there since the massive renovation and renaming), Royal Brougham Pavilion for Seattle Pacific, and Gill Coliseum for Oregon St. I don't recall catching any women's hoops when I was in school at U. of Puget Sound or Central Washington.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
No where near your level. But I spent a number of years going to UConn games in your most favorite NJ BB site. For BE games too. Brown Arena? I liked that place it was (is this a good word?) Quaint.
Uof Hartford, OKLA Norman/OK City U, UALR, Arkansas Fayetville (sp), Providence, Annapolis (all upper deck seating looking down at the game), there are more that elude me at the moment. No Pro games. EDIT--I saw many many games at the XL /Civic Center all UCWBB
The only one that wasn't so great, mostly by the attendance was UALR. I think I was one of 10 at the game. I was teaching a co-sponsored Biomedical Engineering program with the local VA hospital, (mental of course).
What year were you at CCSU--I was there when it was TCC, A former military metal building was the gym/basketball arena.
It was called Dietrick Gymnasium. Probably very early 2000's. Richie Adubato was coaching the Liberty and was a spectator at the game, said hi to him as he passed us.

And add one more. I never listed Mohegan Sun. For a pro game, not WNBA. Whatever league had Birmingham, where a Rutgers player supposedly was going to be playing, but wasn't. Had a chat with their coach in one of the restaurants there, fascinating. This was likewise in the early years of the arena.

I went to some Rutgers games at XL and some Big East Tournaments as well as the listed pro game.

It was a fun run - from about 1997 to 2010. Both my wife and I had job flexibility, and for a couple years we were at every game Rutgers played.

Following Arizona is fun, but there really isn't travel involved. Schools are too spread out, for the most part, plus we have not been traveling much due to my wife's health concerns, even pre-pandemic.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Los Angeles Sports Arena (Lakers/USC mens & women’s basketball), The Forum (Lakers), Staples Center (Lakers/Clippers/Sparks), The Galen Center (USC basketball), Pauley Pavilian (UCLA men & women’s basketball, Mandalay Bay Arena (Las Vegas - The Aces), The Orleans Arena Las Vegas, & MGM Grand Arena (college tournament basketball games)
On campus arenas at the following Colleges/Universities: Oregon, Nevada, Pacific, Stanford, San Jose State, Fresno State, UC Santa Barbara, UNLV, Cal-State Fullerton, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, San Diego State, CS Northridge, UC San Diego, CS San Bernardino, Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine ( the college with the best view on the west coast) It sits on the side of a hill over looking the blue pacific ocean until it meets the horizon. You can see the ocean from any place on campus as long as you’re not behind a building.

These are arenas I watched a game in. I played college ball in arenas in California, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri and Louisiana. I can’t begin to name them all. Too many years ago to remember. I do remember that several of them were very nice and a couple of them were dumps. Oklahoma Baptist University had by far the best floor I ever played on. It was an NBA-quality floor. Lots of spring in it. I was able to jump 6” higher than normal anywhere on the court. No dead spots.

Last edited:

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Only 10. Hope to add a couple in the fall. Of course Cameron Indoor Stadium is special... the only arena I've been in that was built before my parents were born.

Edit: 11... WNBA games in the Charlotte Coliseum II (RIP)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Other than Freedom Hall and the Yum Center here in Louisville, I've been to Final Fours in New Orleans and Columbus, ACC Tournament in Greensboro, NCAA Regional in Rupp Arena and road games at Duke, UVA, North Carolina, Notre Dame and Ohio State. Planning on a trip to Chicago in December for Louisville-DePaul.

Saw my first WNBA game this summer in Chicago.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Los Angeles Sports Arena (Lakers/USC mens & women’s basketball), The Forum (Lakers), Staples Center (Lakers/Clippers/Sparks), The Galen Center (USC basketball), Pauley Pavilian (UCLA men & women’s basketball, Mandalay Bay Arena (Las Vegas - The Aces), The Orleans Arena Las Vegas, & MGM Grand Arena (college tournament basketball games)
On campus arenas at the following Colleges/Universities: Oregon, Nevada, Pacific, Stanford, San Jose State, Fresno State, UC Santa Barbara, UNLV, Cal-State Fullerton, UC Irvine, UC Riverside, San Diego State, CS Northridge, UC San Diego, CS San Bernardino, Loyola Marymount and Pepperdine ( the college with the best view on the west coast) It sits on the side of a hill over looking the blue pacific ocean until it meets the horizon. You can see the ocean from any place on campus as long as you’re not behind a building.

These are arenas I watched a game in. I played college ball in arenas in California, Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri and Louisiana. I can’t begin to name them all. Too many years ago to remember. I do remember that several of them were very nice and a couple of them were dumps. Oklahoma Baptist University had by far the best floor I ever played on. It was an NBA-quality floor. Lots of spring in it. I was able to jump 6” higher than normal anywhere on the court. No dead spots.
Because we were east coast based at the time, not much overlap - but Rutgers did play at Stanford and Cal one year and we made the trip; another year they were in an in-season tourney at Pepperdine. That is a beautiful campus.

Only 2 men's games, actually, I didn't include the arenas in my count. We went to a Nets game at the old Continental Airlines Arena when they were in NJ. It was a promotion, although I forget what. Also saw the Knicks play in the Rose Garden during the Portland Regionals in 2000. Dee Kantner was working the NBA at the time, and arranged for us and a couple other RU fans to buy tickets in the section available to them (she was staying in our hotel).

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
the college with the best view on the west coast
No kidding! I'm not sure how anyone gets any studying done there, withe beach mere moments away.

Reaction Score
Been chasing the UCONN women for almost 30 years from my home in Maryland:
Gampel
XL
Villanova (campus arena)
Georgetown (campus gym)
Maryland
Temple
Seton Hall (campus and Prudential Center)
NCState
East Carolina (easiest to sneak in)
USF
UCF
University of the Virgin Islands (Holiday Tournament)
FGCU (Estero Arena, Holiday Tournament)
Marquette

Reaction Score
Gampel
XL Center
University of Hartford
Bridgeport
Mohegan Sun
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Richmond, VA
Atlanta
Notre Dame
Dayton
St. Louis (2x)
Milwaukee
Alamo Dome (2x)
Boston
Indianapolis
Seton Hall
Rutgers
Marist
Louisiana
Knoxville
Villanova
Syracuse
Madison Square Garden

Reaction Score
Gampel
Xl center
msg
Univ of Hartford
Had to give up New Orleans final four tickets my wife was over 8 months pregnant

Carnac

Reaction Score
Gampel
XL Center
University of Hartford
Bridgeport
Mohegan Sun
Pittsburgh
Philadelphia
Richmond, VA
Atlanta
Notre Dame
Dayton
St. Louis (2x)
Milwaukee
Alamo Dome (2x)
Boston
Indianapolis
Seton Hall
Rutgers
Marist
Louisiana
Knoxville
Villanova
Syracuse
Madison Square Garden
Quite a list.

Reaction Score

That is awesome! Yeah, I am nowhere near your level. I have gone to all of the Big Ten basketball facilities. South Bend, Indiana is nice. Just an awesome vibe there. But so far, I have seen some really awesome places being listed.

Reaction Score
I am a true slacker. Two.

WVU Coliseum
Verizon Center (University of Maryland)

CTyankee

Proud member of King Geno's Court
Reaction Score
Did a few road trips...

When Gaby was a senior, we flew to Portland and drove down to see her play in a Nike event in Eugene... Then drove to Reno for her homecoming game... The Gabulous one!!!

Another year when UConn was sent, I think, to Nebraska, my wife and I decided to drive to Louisville, the Yum Arena, for the Regionals... (My wife swears it had the best chicken she ever ate.) Saw Tennessee get beat. Shonni Schimmel was lighting the place up with 3s. And it was a great experience traveling around Kentucky...

Another time we went to Rhode Island for Regionals and found a wonderful seafood place near Point Judith... Fresh oysters and local calamari to die for, in Matunuck.

Reaction Score
Gampel, Civic Center, Bridgeport, URI, Providence College, Providence Civic Center, Conte Forum, Boston Garden, Madison Square Garden (Vols vs Rutgers), Philadelphia, Bentley College, Mohegan Sun, St. Michael’s College, Nasson College (now defunct).

Reaction Score
Quite a list.
Carnac my buddy and I would travel by car to First Rounds (usually in CT), Regionals, then Final Fours!
We would really rack up the miles! On a trip to Regionals & San Antonio, TX we drove 4,017 miles!
As we aged and bad health and poverty entered into our lives we were forced to give up our UCONN Season Tickets and our post-season trips!
We met some wonderful people along the way! Many still our dear friends!

Carnac

Reaction Score
Carnac my buddy and I would travel by car to First Rounds (usually in CT), Regionals, then Final Fours!
We would really rack up the miles! On a trip to Regionals & San Antonio, TX we drove 4,017 miles!
As we aged and bad health and poverty entered into our lives we were forced to give up our UCONN Season Tickets and our post-season trips!
We met some wonderful people along the way! Many still our dear friends!
You had a hell of a ride during those times. Experiences you enjoyed and will never forget. You saw a lot of great basketball on those road trips. It was nice that you and your wife found something you could both enjoy.

Reaction Score
Not too many arenas in bush Alaska. I did get a chance to watch a Sonics game at the Key Arena when i dipped down into the lower 48 for grad school at the University of Washington.

Reaction Score
20 arenas in DC and Maryland including Ritchie Coliseum, Cole Field House and Xfinity Center at the University of Maryland. The arenas in Virginia , Patriot Center. The Scope in Hampton and Richmond Coliseum. That's it for me.

Reaction Score
You had a hell of a ride during those times. Experiences you enjoyed and will never forget. You saw a lot of great basketball on those road trips. It was nice that you and your wife found something you could both enjoy.
Carnac NO WIFE just a good friend!
Never been married!
My athletes I coached for over 30 years were MY kids!

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
20 arenas in DC and Maryland including Ritchie Coliseum, Cole Field House and Xfinity Center at the University of Maryland. The arenas in Virginia , Patriot Center. The Scope in Hampton and Richmond Coliseum. That's it for me.
I thought Cole Field House was a phenomenal old joint. We were there just before it stopped being used. Chris Weller was still coaching Maryland. Don't remember the year, but would count that as one of the "historic" arenas we were at, like Harvard's, the Palestra, Cameron Indoor, etc. Years later, we visited the current arena - Rutgers got trounced.

Reaction Score

Georgetown, Rutgers, Madison Square Garden, Notre Dame, Villanova, Boston, Nashville, Dallas, Columbus, South Florida, Tampa, Louisville,
San Antonio, Albany, Bridgeport, Hartford(XL), Storrs, University of Hartford, New Orleans, Providence, St. Johns, Mohegan Sun, Inianaplolis (Final Four), Denver, St. Louis, Cleveland, Knoxville, Boston College, these are the ones I can think of.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom