How many All Big East Selections? | The Boneyard

How many All Big East Selections?

Reaction Score
A lot of discussion on player/coach of the year, curious how many all big east selections will UConn get this year?

My predictions

1st Team
Newton
Kolek
Carter
Richmond
Scheierman
Spencer

2nd team
Alexander
Jones
Clingan
Castle

Dixon

HMs
Karaban
Jenkins
Kalkbrenner
Olivari

I actually think the first team could be very close to unanimous, it feels to me statistically those guys have separated when factoring in team performance.

Reaction Score
Having a first team with 6 guys who play PG or SG would be something. My guess is Clingan and Kalk get heavy consideration for first team.

I would guess our starting 5 all get something.

Newton - lock for 1st team and probably slight fav to win POY
Spencer - 1st or 2nd
Clingan - 1st or 2nd
Karaban - 2nd or HM
Castle - lock for 1st team all freshman and freshman of the year

Reaction Score
Having a first team with 6 guys who play PG or SG would be something. My guess is Clingan and Kalk get heavy consideration for first team.

Spencer - 1st or 2nd
Clingan - 1st or 2nd
Karaban - 2nd or HM
Good point wasn't really considering positioning at all

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score

Spencer - 1st or 2nd
Clingan - 1st or 2nd
Karaban - 2nd or HM

Clingan put up much better numbers considering he missed time and only plays 25 minutes compared to Kalk who plays almost 40

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score

Spencer - 1st or 2nd
Clingan - 1st or 2nd
Karaban - 2nd or HM
2014 all America team had three point guards. All from the mighty AAC

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

Spencer - 1st or 2nd
Clingan - 1st or 2nd
Karaban - 2nd or HM
None of the above would be undeserved if they all occurred, even with slight tweaks. I wouldn't predict on the full slate.

Are there votes for 6th Man and Most Improved?

If so, I'd vote Diarra for both, but that's based entirely on my joy and surprise in watching him play, combined with my being completely inattentive regarding his competition.

Based strictly on the current, nearly-complete, regular-season record, I'd vote Hurley as Coach of the Year and Most Improved Head Coach. Too little explicit mention is made that the coaching staff may well be the most dramatically improved element of the team this year.

Reaction Score
A lot of discussion on player/coach of the year, curious how many all big east selections will UConn get this year?

My predictions

1st Team
Newton
Kolek
Carter
Richmond
Scheierman
Spencer

2nd team
Alexander
Jones
Clingan
Castle

Dixon

HMs
Karaban
Jenkins
Kalkbrenner
Olivari

I actually think the first team could be very close to unanimous, it feels to me statistically those guys have separated when factoring in team performance.
Where is oso?

Reaction Score
Where is oso?
I was between him and Olivari for the last HM spot the real answer is he probably slots in where Castle is, but I do think Castle deserves that level of recognition he is so good defensively and advanced metrics show he may be our best player. But Castle probably just ends up FOY and doesn't get 2nd team

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
More importantly, which one of our five starters is going to win BET MVP? Then NCAA Tournament MVP

I'm going with Clingan in the BET because his size will matter

and then Newton in the NCAA for leadership and balance

I know I know, doomed

But I like WINNING

Reaction Score

Spencer - 1st or 2nd
Clingan - 1st or 2nd
Karaban - 2nd or HM
Wasn’t the 2011 team guard heavy with Kemba and that thief Ben hansborough.

Reaction Score
Wasn’t the 2011 team guard heavy with Kemba and that thief Ben hansborough.
Good memory. All guards. Even the second team was very guard heavy.

2011 ALL-BIG EAST FIRST TEAM
Kemba Walker, Connecticut, G, Jr., 6-1, 172, Bronx, N.Y.
Austin Freeman, Georgetown, G, Sr., 6-3.5, 227, Mitchellville, Md. *Ben Hansbrough, Notre Dame, G, Sr., 6-3, 206, Poplar Bluff, Mo. Ashton Gibbs, Pittsburgh, G, Jr., 6-2, 190, Scotch Plains, N.J. Marshon Brooks, Providence, G-F, Sr., 6-5, 200, Stone Mountain, Ga. Dwight Hardy, St. John's, G, Sr., 6-2, 195, Bronx, N.Y.

2011 ALL-BIG EAST SECOND TEAM
Preston Knowles, Louisville, G, 6-1, 190, Winchester, Ky.
Darius Johnson-Odom, Marquette, G, Jr., 6-2, 215, Raleigh, N.C.
Brad Wanamaker, Pittsburgh, G, Sr., 6-4, 210, Philadelphia, Pa.
Rick Jackson, Syracuse, F, Sr., 6-9, 240, Philadelphia, Pa.
Corey Fisher, Villanova, G, Sr., 6-1, 200, Bronx, N.Y.

Reaction Score
The group who picks this team is the same group that didn't give a single UConn player a POTW. So I don't expect any UConn player on the first team. Just like the preseason team.

Be honest, if you were starting a team which BE player would pick tho build around? Clingan for me. An easy choice.

Reaction Score
The group who picks this team is the same group that didn't give a single UConn player a POTW.
Newton won it once.

It's crazy how spread out the POTW awards were. Nobody won it more than 2 times. 6 players won it twice and 4 players won it once. I wonder if that's typical. I'd bet it isn't.

Reaction Score
How about this for a fair solution?

Give Kolek or Carter BE POY, and the entire UConn starting 5 BE 1st Team honors.

F the voters! I'd take our starting 5 the way they play on both ends of the floor over any combination of 5 other BE players!

Reaction Score
How about this for a fair solution?

Give Kolek or Carter BE POY, and the entire UConn starting 5 BE 1st Team honors.

F the voters! I'd take our starting 5 the way they play on both ends of the floor over any combination of 5 other BE players!
Did someone hack your account? You’re all fired up in another thread. You’re throwing out F bombs here. The posts are short. It’s like we don’t even know you any more. :)

Reaction Score
Newton won it once.

It's crazy how spread out the POTW awards were. Nobody won it more than 2 times. 6 players won it twice and 4 players won it once. I wonder if that's typical. I'd bet it isn't.
If those who won it twice how many total mentions did they get? How many are picked for HM each week? I bet AK is up there with total mentions.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
2014 all America team had three point guards. All from the mighty AAC
Had to look this up. Not fully true. Yes there were 3 point guards (well two were combo guards) but just 2 were from the AAC... Bazz and Russ Smith. The third was Nick Johnson from UA.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Had to look this up. Not fully true. Yes there were 3 point guards (well two were combo guards) but just 2 were from the AAC... Bazz and Russ Smith. The third was Nick Johnson from UA.
There was at least one version of the team that had Napier, Smith and Sean Kilpatrick from Cincinnati. Not consensus, I guess.

Reaction Score
If those who won it twice how many total mentions did they get? How many are picked for HM each week? I bet AK is up there with total mentions.
Click on the link I posted. It's all there. Karaban had 4 honor rolls. 2 players had 5 and Carter had 6 and 2 POTW.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom