OT: - How lucky is Monty Williams? | The Boneyard

OT: How lucky is Monty Williams?

Reaction Score
Crazy that the Pistons fired him now. Unless he did something wrong off the court what is the sense of firing him after 1 season? Did the Pistons expect he was going to win right away with that team?

Reaction Score
Crazy that the Pistons fired him now. Unless he did something wrong off the court what is the sense of firing him after 1 season? Did the Pistons expect he was going to win right away with that team?
The consensus from Pistons fans is he was just collecting paychecks and not putting any effort into the job or developing any of their young players

Reaction Score
He didn't even want to take the job but the Pistons kept upping the offer, that should have been the Pistons cue to look elsewhere. Don't even understand why the Pistons wanted a veteran head coach when that squad was still a ways away from doing anything, should have hired a young assistant like the Magic and Thunder have done.

Reaction Score
The consensus from Pistons fans is he was just collecting paychecks and not putting any effort into the job or developing any of their young players
I guess that says a lot about the Pistons' ownership and basketball operations ability to determine a good coaching candidate.

Reaction Score
He didn't even want to take the job but the Pistons kept upping the offer, that should have been the Pistons cue to look elsewhere. Don't even understand why the Pistons wanted a veteran head coach when that squad was still a ways away from doing anything, should have hired a young assistant like the Magic and Thunder have done.
I have a close friend who is a Pistons HONK and this is essentially true. He did not want the job, the money made him take it.. He played Killian Hayes over Jaden Ivey for literally half a season..

Reaction Score
Monty Williams, deposed today as head coach of the Pistons just 13 months after being fired by the Suns, has now earned a combined $85M in buyouts

Worked for Pistons for a year and got 65M buyout in addition to his 20M from Suns....This guys is getting generational wealth to NOT work...SMH
Failure pays well in the NBA.

Coaches know tomorrow as a coach, is not promised to them so solid contract drafting insulates them.

Reaction Score
Monty and other fired coaches are a lot better off than a boxer with a guaranteed purse, who gets clocked in round 1.

Monty walks away unscathed, but defeated boxes not so much. I wonder if Conner will get back in the ring or not.

Reaction Score
Owners make decisions; owners reap the benefits and losses of said decisions. That's the free market, which I wholeheartedly endorse.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
85 M for not working…how would u categorize it?

Do you know anything about Monty Williams?

He signed 2 different contracts because teams wanted him to coach, then they got rid of him. Per his contract, which isn’t unique, he’s getting paid once they bailed.

He’s getting a lot of money from his contract. I don’t categorize him as a lucky guy. Look into his career and life.

To answer the OP question, “not that lucky at all,” if that wasn’t clear yet.

Reaction Score
NBA coaches are highly paid baby sitters. Teams change them more often than most people change their socks. Word was Mazzula was out if Boston lost to Dallas. My guess is within 3 years he’ll be coaching the Knicks or Philly or Memphis or someplace anyway. He had 2 years of head coaching experience at a D2 school. Otherwise he was an assistant.

Reaction Score
Hurley was offered only a bit more than that and I’m wondering if Williams got that Hurley shoulda been offered 100 million.

Reaction Score
He also seemed to have personal conflicts with some of the young players such as Ivey , and would bench them to spite them. I had some fantasy basketball players on Pistons last year and his lineup decisions were often puzzling.

He wasn’t a good coach at Phoenix, and it was a terrible hire by Pistons to begin with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom