How is UCONN doing (via ESPN) | The Boneyard

How is UCONN doing (via ESPN)

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score

"Last season, UConn's defense made history in all the wrong ways.

The 2018 UConn defense took the field for 138 drives, not including 15 that were ended by either the halftime or end-of-game buzzer. Of those 138 ...

• 28 ended in a punt. No other FBS team forced fewer than 37.
• 11 resulted in a turnover. Only four teams forced fewer.
• 81 resulted in a touchdown. Only two other teams allowed more than 68 -- Louisville (71) and Oregon State (76). Nearly three touchdowns to every punt!

Let's put it this way: Oklahoma's offense averaged 8.6 yards per play and 570.3 yards and 48.4 points per game. But really, it was at any point only the second-best offense in the country behind Whoever Was Playing UConn That Week.

This historic defense has improved significantly this season. The unit is up 30 spots in defensive SP+! And 13.9 points per game. And 2.5 yards per play. And 27 passer rating points.

Granted, those improvements have still produced bad numbers, and the offense has regressed almost as much as the defense has progressed. The Huskies are now 128th in offensive SP+ and are 123rd overall; they are single-handedly dragging the AAC down -- without the Huskies*, the league's SP+ average rating would be plus-3.7 adjusted points per game, almost identical to the ACC (4.0).

But hey, if you're going to be bad, the least you can do is be bad in a different way than last season, right?"

Reaction Score
And prime time vs UCF on ESPN2... another window to show us off...

Reaction Score
I like those stats. Might discuss tomorrow in the daily.

Anyhow, I Don’t think the offense is as bad as those numbers. It’s a snapshot when they played two superior teams last two weeks.

I think Mensah has 2 100 yard games, receivers are dangerous enough and o-line is ok.

The defense is better, and that is after it was torched by UCF. They won’t play another offense like that.

I don’t know how many games UConn will win, I am thinking 3-9 or 4-8 tops. But, those numbers should get better as season goes on.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I expect us to score at least 24 or so ppg the rest of the way now that we finally have the guy who should have playing all along at QB.

Reaction Score
I'm not sold on Steven Krajewski yet. Let me see him against USF first.

Reaction Score
The play last year set such a low bar that there had to be improvement this season. The defense has improved dramatically with a very young group. I know the offense has been terrible, but with all new and inexperienced QBs that should be expected. Without Pindell running like crazy last season the offense would have been about as bad as the defense was. We have a young and talented receiving corps and Mensah is as good a back as we've had since Todman. I know it's snail paced, but there is progress being made.

Rand'y primary challenge this season will be keeping these guys motivated and focused to grab another 2 or 3 wins so that there is some momentum heading into 2020.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom