How is this a "strike"? | The Boneyard

How is this a "strike"?

Reaction Score
I mean, I played baseball growing up until I was in my teens so I know the sport to an extent, don't watch it a heck of a lot these days, but it is not totally "greek to me" is the point.

So I have to say I am struggling to see how that could have been called a "strike".

Btw, that has to be one of the most painful things that can happen to an athlete in sports, I would argue, to get hit by a pitch in the face. Very tough guy to get up after getting plunked like that. I'd be out for days after getting hit like that, never mind the 3 minutes he was down.

But how atrocious, plunked and its called a strike. Snitker had every right to be enraged and to throw him out after your pinch hitter is hit like that is just insane IMO, I've seen much worse from managers who don't get thrown out.

If someone would kindly explain this to me (how it is a strike), I'd be much obliged.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
because he fouled the ball into his face? this seems like a simple thing to understand?

better question is what is the idiot manager ranting about.

Reaction Score
because he fouled the ball into his face? this seems like a simple thing to understand?

better question is what is the idiot manager ranting about.

I don’t think the bat touched it. It looks like it just went straight into his face.

Reaction Score
Maybe it was just that things move too fast for my eyes, but I did not see it hit the bat. If I had seen it hit the bat - ya, "simple", I get that is a strike, a very unfortunate one, but a strike. I will look for a slow motion video.

I don’t think the bat touched it. It looks like it just went straight into his face.
That is how I saw it, which is why I was asking, why the topic was made. It even looked like he was pulling the bat away.

But oh well, hope he gets better. That is the most important thing. Truly awful thing to happen.

Last edited:

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

i watched it a bunch of times. it looks like it changes directions a little and i think you can hear three sounds but even if he didn’t he still offered its still a strike

Reaction Score
It didn't hit the bat, but it'll be called a strike 100/100 times. It'll also be the wrong call 100/100 times because he didn't offer at the pitch

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
It didn't hit the bat, but it'll be called a strike 100/100 times. It'll also be the wrong call 100/100 times because he didn't offer at the pitch

I'm seeing it differently that you. Looked like he had every intent to make contact. The bat does not have to go forward in MLB, in fact many great bunters move the bat back a little bit to deaden the ball.

Reaction Score
It was a strike as unfortunate as it was. As for the worst, taking a slapshot in the face from a hockey puck traveling in the 90's is likely worse as a baseball has a bit more give.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom