How is it possible? | The Boneyard

How is it possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have not read it but, why would our board have a 90 post thread dealing with the scheduling of two teams we don't play? Simple, it has something to do with BC. Some people can't seem to get over their BC fixation.

Reaction Score
I have not read it but, why would our board have a 90 post thread dealing with the scheduling of two teams we don't play? Simple, it has something to do with BC. Some people can't seem to get over their BC fixation.

We're up over 100 now!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
Same reason BC fans come on the football board... there is mutual interest.

I guess that is a good explanation. I may not understand because I have been away from CT for so long, I did not live there during the brief period when both schools were in the same conference for FB. As a result I have a tough time seeing them as a relevant rival. In my mind a rival is a school with which one is competitive. We dominated them in BB, never beat them in FB, and I am not sure we ever played hockey.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
I guess that is a good explanation. I may not understand because I have been away from CT for so long, I did not live there during the brief period when both schools were in the same conference for FB. As a result I have a tough time seeing them as a relevant rival. In my mind a rival is a school with which one is competitive. We dominated them in BB, never beat them in FB, and I am not sure we ever played hockey.
I believe the contempt from the UConn side comes more from BC's off-the-field dealings and cowardice than on-the-field competition.

Reaction Score
Same reason BC fans come on the football board... there is mutual interest.
Agree. This is a UCONN discussion board. Fans here are entitled to discuss whatever interests them. One look at all the thread topic discussions here there does not appear to me to be an overemphasis by Uconn fans here with BC at all. Why some are troubled by a thread topic.. of any topic area... seems an overconcern by them on what people might like to discuss from time to time.

Reaction Score
well, they are the closest P5 FCS team, they were a rival and its a hell of a lot more interesting than talking about SMU, Houston, Tulsa, ECarolina, Temple, Tulane, Memphis, UCF and whatever other crappy schools Uconn has to play every year.

don't worry, in a few years there may not be discussions about BC or any other team on these boards

Reaction Score
uconn does compete with BC, unfortunately not on the field of play. Although as of late that may be changing. both recruit the same areas, and go after the same players.
both are former members of the BE so there is a decent amount of history, just not in football.
best thing both schools could do is play against each other in football, make it a new england event, and hype it up. similar to the beanpot, but in football. with just two teams.

Reaction Score
I would like to see something similar to the Commander-In-Chiefs Trophy awarded to the best service academy, just geared for New England football. Include UMass and BC as they are the only other D-1 programs and let it grow or die but try it. You just have to find something to call it that is common in all of New England. Nutmeg Cup won't do it, Patriot's Trophy....no. Will BC go for it? Probably not as they only have 3 non conference games but they would if the stakes were high enough(say playing a highly ranked New England team). Maybe make it a multi-sport competition.

Reaction Score
best thing both schools could do is play against each other in football, make it a new england event, and hype it up. similar to the beanpot, but in football. with just two teams.

I'd like to see both schools play football again ( they will, in time , imo). But the analogy with the Beanpot does not work, as the Beanpot really has little interest outside of Greater Boston. What interest is there in Connecticut for a Hockey tourney made up of 4 Massachusetts colleges ? I'd say little to none. Its pimarily of interest to sports fans in Greater Boston, where it is a very big deal. This is illustrative and instructive of the appeal interest of a potential future UCONN- BC football game too. Its primary interest would be with sports fans of Connecticut, but does does not generate anywhere near the interest and appeal level in Greater Boston for the few followers of college football in Greater Boston that you think it will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
It would if the schools were ranked highly and the outcome of the game effects a shot at the upcoming playoff structure. Anything less and your right..... the Boston crowd won't rally around anything less than a national champion.

Reaction Score
A UConn - BC game and rivalry will flourish once the Huskies are in the ACC (or at least another P5 Conference). Until then . . . too many hard feelings. BC and Flipper did everything in their power to scuttle UConn getting into the ACC. That was/is bull crap. Between BC and ND the Catholic schools are showing a great deal of hatred for the blue and white.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yawkey Way said:
I'd like to see both schools play football again ( they will, in time , imo). But the analogy with the Beanpot does not work, as the Beanpot really has little interest outside of Greater Boston. What interest is there in Connecticut for a Hockey tourney made up of 4 Massachusetts colleges ? I'd say little to none. Its pimarily of interest to sports fans in Greater Boston, where it is a very big deal. This is illustrative and instructive of the appeal interest of a potential future UCONN- BC football game too. Its primary interest would be with sports fans of Connecticut, but does does not generate anywhere near the interest and appeal level in Greater Boston for the few followers of college football in Greater Boston that you think it will.

The Beanpot is of interest to most college hockey fans. I went to a non-Harvard ECAC school back in the day. I still check out the Beanpot though I have no interest in the winner.

A similar UConn/Yale/Quin/??? Would certainly draw interest to the XL in December.

Reaction Score
A UConn - BC game and rivalry will flourish once the Huskies are in the ACC (or at least another P5 Conference). Until then . . . too many hard feelings. BC and Flipper did everything in their power to scuttle UConn getting into the ACC. That was/is bull crap. Between BC and ND the Catholic schools are showing a great deal of hatred for the blue and white.

This is the first time that I've heard that BC has the power to keep the Commish of the ACC and the other ACC schools from bringing UCONN into the ACC if this is what ACC Commish Swofford and all the other ACC schools wanted,, or want... to do. People apparently believe that BC wields this large level of muscle power within the ACC, but I just don't see it. Maybe they are this powerful within the ACC, but I don't believe so frankly. I think ND has considerable power and influence however in the ACC, but BC is no ND when it comes to ACC power and influence. If the ACC wanted Uconn, BC couldn't prevent this from happening by their lonesome ( or even with Syracuse in tow ). Thats my assessment on this anyway.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think a lot of schools in the ACC look at UConn as this snowball that started out as nothing really nationally, but... in the last 20 some odd years has turned into an avalanche that they don't care to be buried under. It might be basketball today but they all know that sooner or later if the powers that be want, it will be football or soccer or whatever the prevailing winds dictate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom