How interested are you | The Boneyard

How interested are you

Status
Not open for further replies.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
In the NBA finals?

Don't much care for the style of BB but seeing big-shot Miami get destroyed gave some pleasure.

Anyone watching?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In the NBA finals?

Don't much care for the style of BB but seeing big-shot Miami get destroyed gave some pleasure.

Anyone watching?
Don't watch, but follow. I might peek in a bit to see who's ahead.

And yes it was quite pleasant to see the Heat get destroyed. Have always liked Tim Duncan anyway. It would be good to see him get another ring. But I doubt the Heat will go easily, if at all.

Reaction Score
The NBA is about as legit as wrestling.... it is unwatchable

* defensive 3 seconds
* special star treatment
* traveling rarely called
* bogus fouls called
* etc. etc. etc.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
The Spurs actually play decent basketball. They pass well, set screens and play excellent defense. Tim Duncan is incredible...he's so calm and collected yet really gives his all every game. He makes the hustle plays and said after the game that he prides himself on gettin his teams extra possessions. The next few games should be good!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
The NBA is about as legit as wrestling.... it is unwatchable

defensive 3 seconds
special star treatment
traveling rarely called
bogus fouls called
etc. etc. etc.
Star treatment happens in every sport.

Refs suck in every sport.

There has been and extra 1/2 step allowed in the NBA for years. Why does that bother you?

These are the best basketball all players in the world. They don't turn the ball over a lot, they make amazing passes, some of the moves college kids only dream of making.

I think the NBA gets a bad rap.

When was the last time you watched for an extended period?

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I find myself flipping channels during commercials to get updates on the score and will watch during commercial break of the show I'm watching. If the game is close in the 4th quarter, I'll continue to watch the game until its over. Rooting for the Spurs to win as I don't like the Big Three of Miami. I like LeBron, but don't care for Wade or Bosch.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
While I watch sporadically in the playoffs like most have described. These are the two teams I most enjoy.

Reaction Score

There has been and extra 1/2 step allowed in the NBA for years. Why does that bother you?

These are the best basketball all players in the world. They don't turn the ball over a lot, they make amazing passes, some of the moves college kids only dream of making.

It has been a long time since I watched a full game. I can see in 5 minutes how bad the product has become. If you are old enough to remember Magic, Bird, and Jordan in their prime, that was good basketball. Despite the rule changes making it easier to score, scoring is way down in the last 30 years.

The NBA allows as many steps as you need to dunk the ball.... not an extra 1/2 step. DEFENSIVE 3 seconds ? another rule to create more dunks. If you are a star, and miss a shot in traffic a foul is called.

The " best players in the world " lack fundamentals.

Bad rap ? no..... it is entertainment for people who know little about classic basketball

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
It is a game designed for entertainment, I think, and - after all - for the prices you pay to go to a game, it probably has to be.

Like many, I don't follow, have at times caught bits and pieces during the playoffs, don't like Miami, do like Tim Duncan and the reputation of the Spurs. Agree that Miami won't go easily, but hope the Spurs can do it. Especially as they are an older team.

Interestingly, my wife likes both LeBron and Tim Duncan (again, for as little as we follow it) but is also going with the Spurs.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Bad rap ? no..... it is entertainment for people who know little about classic basketball

I was going to respond to your points but I read this and figured this would end ugly. I will just add that my favorite teams were the Knicks with Walt Frazier and the lakers with Jerry West. I watched pro basketball for the last 45 years and I know plenty about classic basketball and I find today's NBA to be a very high performance brand of basketball played by the best players in the world.

Reaction Score
Red Holzman, and Red Auerbach would roll over in their graves if they watched todays game. I laughed when someone said last night Eric Spoelstra would be in the Hall of Fame.

I cannot understand how a Jerry West, and Clyde Frazier fan could enjoy todays game. Imagine Wilt playing with todays rules, he would average 10-15 dunks a game.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Red Holzman, and Red Auerbach would roll over in their graves if they watched todays game. I laughed when someone said last night Eric Spoelstra would be in the Hall of Fame.

I cannot understand how a Jerry West, and Clyde Frazier fan could enjoy todays game. Imagine Wilt playing with todays rules, he would average 10-15 dunks a game.

You don't watch enough to have a valid opinion about today's game.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I guess I have a different opinion. I am not a fan of Lebron James...he is such a power player, a man among boys...but I have to admire his skill level...he is a great passer, he has a strong will to win, his shooting has improved greatly and sometimes he is just outright unstoppable. Miami with the big three and Ray Allen off the bench are a dominant bunch...but, that being said...I really like San Antonio as a team. Sure, they are on the old side...but Tony Parker and Ginobli what a duo. Watching Tim Duncan play classical style of basketball, fundamentally sound, probably the best PF to play the game in my opinion..and watching Danny Green go off like that yesterday and to see the pure joy in his face...playing for the love of the game...it was refreshing. I have enjoyed watching this finals...sure there were two blow-outs one for Miami and one for San Antonio but we are watching basketball at its highest level...you gotta give these guys some credit...it has been a long season...they are playing hard and they do things normal people can only dream of. Finally, in a very short while the NBA will be shutting down for the season and it will be a long wait until they open again...so, I am just enjoying these last few games.

Reaction Score
I was going to respond to your points but I read this and figured this would end ugly. I will just add that my favorite teams were the Knicks with Walt Frazier and the lakers with Jerry West. I watched pro basketball for the last 45 years and I know plenty about classic basketball and I find today's NBA to be a very high performance brand of basketball played by the best players in the world.
I have watched since Walt Frazier and Jerry West as well and the players of today do one thing that annoys me more than anything. Some of them try to show up their opponents and take great joy trying to humiliate them. I never remember West or Frazier making a great play then turning to the defender and thumping their chest at them or pointing to himself. That is why I prefer most college sports over professional. That being said, today's player's are unbelievable and I love watching the top plays of the day/week.

Reaction Score
You don't watch enough to have a valid opinion about today's game.

It doesn't take 48 minutes of watching garbage time to determine it is garbage time. I have coached, and played for over 40 years... it includes playing and coaching in college.... I know good basketball when I see it. That is why I started following UConn WBB a few years ago.

Good night

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
It doesn't take 48 minutes of watching garbage time to determine it is garbage time. I have coached, and played for over 40 years... it includes playing and coaching in college.... I know good basketball when I see it. That is why I started following UConn WBB a few years ago.

Good night
You're an old fuddy duddy. I know cause I am too. I don't like the new NBA. (I really only go back to the Bird, Magic, Jordan era though)

But, but, I do realize that either of these teams would blow a West or Frazier team right off the floor. They are just too much bigger, faster, quicker, stronger. Fundamentally, eh maybe not, but it wouldn't matter. Wouldn't even be close.

Reaction Score

Don't forget the dead-eye shooting. From VERY long.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Don't forget the dead-eye shooting. From VERY long.

I'm actually in the camp that doesn't really watch the NBA much anymore, outside of a few Celtics games (mostly playoffs) when they were really good the last few years. I don't deny the much improved size, athleticism, and in some cases (not all) greater skill but the subjective quality of the game isn't my cup of tea anymore as a general rule. This isn't to say I could not find a given NBA game on a random night entertaining; rather it's just that I don't find myself compelled to keep tuning in the way I used to.

But you're really dead-on about the dead-eye shooting. There are some ridiculous shooters out there in the game these days. From deeeeeeeeeeeeep. No joke! That's one improvement that is really impressive to me. Dale Ellis, Larry Bird, Majerle, Steve Kerr, Reggie Miller, Craig Hodges - all great shooters but today the shooting I see (from highlight footage, mostly) is sometimes just mind-boggling.

Incidentally, if there's anyone who might get me back to watching regularly again, it would probably be Steph Curry....

Reaction Score
Speaking of long-range shooting, I"ve always loved watching Ray Allen play -- from his days at UConn through his career in the NBA.

Hell with the Spurs, I'd love nothing more than to see Ray win another ring or two before he retires.

Go Heat!

Reaction Score
Only for the pleasure of seeing Miami lose. The athletic talent is amazing, but the game is like watching Tenn.--mostly one-on-one, little team play.

Reaction Score
I can see where people are turned off by the Heat's Big 3 and the way LeBron left Cleveland but how can you watch the Spurs and not be impressed? Tim Duncan is one of the most fundamentally sound big men out there. Tony Parker is an unselfish point guard who can pass with the best of them. Ginnobli is a great wing player. Some of this is just old people who think the olden days are always better, they say baseball was better in the 1950s, basketball was better 50 years ago, and its just a flaw in their thinking. The Spurs play the game the right way and if you can't admit that then you have some biases against the NBA. The Spurs hit 50 percent of their 3 pointers the other night and had more than 2 assists for every 1 turnover. Those type of stats are not found much anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom