How inflated is Connecticut's record? | The Boneyard

How inflated is Connecticut's record?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Not really that interesting - the inflated portion of the article is more of a footnote to the premise of the article (which focuses on winning on the road).

Basically, Lunardi says some schools rig the OOC to inflate their record and proceeds to remove the sub 200 home court victories from the records to get a better idea of what the "true" record is. UConn's 12-5 record, according to Lunardi, is "comically misleading" because of the Maine, UNH, Furman, Sacred Heart, UMass-Lowell, and CCSU games (he actually lists 24 schools along with UConn that have inflated their record this way).

Reaction Score
Not really that interesting - the inflated portion of the article is more of a footnote to the premise of the article (which focuses on winning on the road).

Basically, Lunardi says some schools rig the OOC to inflate their record and proceeds to remove the sub 200 home court victories from the records to get a better idea of what the "true" record is. UConn's 12-5 record, according to Lunardi, is "comically misleading" because of the Maine, UNH, Furman, Sacred Heart, UMass-Lowell, and CCSU games.

Thanks- Figures it's another non story by ESPN.

Reaction Score
We haven't caught up to the rest of the country in terms of how to game our schedule/RPI -- still way, way too many of these sub-200 or even sub-300 cupcakes, when we could get better competition, more development of our players, and an RPI boost by playing decent local teams in the 100-150 range.

In terms of the road performance, we're actually doing pretty well so far this year. Hopefully the committee takes notice.

Reaction Score
Need an rpi-ologist on staff much like a cap-ologist in the nfl.....or just don't schedule 3 America East teams the same year you schedule CCSU & Sacred Heart....maybe lesson learned. Need to get rpi comfortably in the 50's hopefully just to keep the haters at bay.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
we play weaker cupcakes, always have

and Joe is wrong about this one, you're record is not inflated if you're beating teams 200+ vs 100+ teams, but you're RPI sure is inflated if you beat 100+ teams as opposed to 200+ teams

what should carry the most weight besides the eye test is how you fair against teams that can actually beat you on a fairly regular basis, and the Huskies record is not inflated there, it is what it is and it's not bad (5-5)

who hasn't played 7 cupcakes? not many that's for sure

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
For NCAA bracket purposes, 100+ RPI wins shouldn't be a consideration. An at-large team should win those games.

caw

Reaction Score
For NCAA bracket purposes, 100+ RPI wins shouldn't be a consideration. An at-large team should win those games.

I would only apply it to OOC home/neutral games. A team can't help who they play in conference and a road game is a road game. That said, the NCAA selection committee has put more emphasis on quality over quantity in the past.

Reaction Score
Need an rpi-ologist on staff much like a cap-ologist in the nfl.....or just don't schedule 3 America East teams the same year you schedule CCSU & Sacred Heart....maybe lesson learned. Need to get rpi comfortably in the 50's hopefully just to keep the haters at bay.

I think another big issue when it comes to selection Sunday (and I haven't seen this posted here, forgive me if it has) is the fact that we will have played without a big piece (Amida) for 6-8 weeks AND the fact that this big piece will be returning during the regular season and into the post-season therefore making the team "whole" and a better reflection of the UConn team that would be entering the dance.

Hopefully we finish in the top 3 AND win the conference tourney (automatic bid) making this discussion moot.

caw

Reaction Score
I think another big issue when it comes to selection Sunday (and I haven't seen this posted here, forgive me if it has) is the fact that we will have played without a big piece (Amida) for 6-8 weeks AND the fact that this big piece will be returning during the regular season and into the post-season therefore making the team "whole" and a better reflection of the UConn team that would be entering the dance.

Hopefully we finish in the top 3 AND win the conference tourney (automatic bid) making this discussion moot.

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA handles things this year. Duke, Cuse and UConn all have had people important to their teams out for extended time. MSU and Zona both dropped games without starters. I want to say UNC did also. Michigan had Levert put a few games, but not sure if they lost one...etc.

Not only potential bubble teams but also top seeds could be seriously changed with those things put into consideration.

Reaction Score
Beating a low major is useless no matter if they are at 300 RPI, 200 RPI, 150 RPI. The key is not to lose to low majors. I don't care if Lunardi believes beating High Point is more difficult than beating Sacred Heart. I' more interested in watching UConn play Texas, Michigan and Maryland. Lunardi's argument is pointless.

Reaction Score
RPI doesn't include where the game was played in its determination of strength of schedule

Reaction Score
RPI doesn't include where the game was played in its determination of strength of schedule

Aren't road and home games weighted? Why would they strip that out for the SOS portion?

EDIT: After some googling, I see no indication that the home and road weighting isn't included across all games.

Reaction Score
Aren't road and home games weighted? Why would they strip that out for the SOS portion?

EDIT: After some googling, I see no indication that the home and road weighting isn't included across all games.
from Ken Pomeroy

"
Tiers of joy
by Ken Pomeroy on Thursday, January 14, 2016

Home-court advantage is important in college basketball - even though it may be at an all-time low - but too often it gets ignored. I suspect we have the RPI to blame for this. The RPI doesn’t include venue in its strength of schedule calculation, and more profoundly, encourages users to look at a team’s record against say, the top 50 teams, without considering where those games were played. (Before I go any further, I have to say I don’t mind the RPI in general. It’s not a bad formula considering its origins and the history behind itis kind of endearing.)"

Reaction Score
That would seem to conflict with the RPI info I can find elsewhere that suggests home games are weighted 0.6 and road games are weighted 1.4 as of changes made in 2004. Unless he's saying that changed again since then. As I said, I didn't see anything that says the weighting doesn't carry over to the other calculations.

And maybe it's literally true that the specific venue itself isn't taken into consideration, if he really means to get that specific.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The RPI itself weighs home/road/neutral games differently. Pomeroy is referring to when the committee considers things like "record vs RPI top-50." In that specific sense, they don't consider where each game is played and therefore teams in the better conferences have an advantage because they will get to play a bunch of home (i. e. more winnable) games in the top-50 or top-100 buckets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom