How in the world do we beat u C f without Samuelson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How in the world do we beat u C f without Samuelson

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
BIFF: Thank you. Am thinking we could use some of your armor also.

With Lou out I'm afraid that Phees will be the primary target of "agressive" defense. I made a prototype of my Bubble suit for her to wear but admittedly it does slow her movement "slightly". ;)

Phees_bubble.jpg

Reaction Score
Kudos to Williams in yesterdays game. She face guarded one of the guards and did a fantastic job.
We know she can score but if she continues to be our shut down guard defender, that is a big plus.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
You can’t fool me! That photo has been Biffed!

Reaction Score
With Lou out I'm afraid that Phees will be the primary target of "agressive" defense. I made a prototype of my Bubble suit for her to wear but admittedly it does slow her movement "slightly". ;)

View attachment 40797

BIFF: yup, I can see where you might think it's a bit cumbersome. Sure looks serviceable though. Design impressive. Numerals and all. You might have a future with this. The ways women's ball is going - Shark Tank??

Reaction Score
Megatron = Enforcer #2

Although Megan is not a dedicated enforcer, she has flattened a defender in each of the last two games. She clearly knows how to play rough. UCF has seen the games and surely understands.

Reaction Score
Although Megan is not a dedicated enforcer, she has flattened a defender in each of the last two games. She clearly knows how to play rough. UCF has seen the games and surely understands.

TOD: noticed that too. She IS a load when she chooses to be.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I say this with trepidation, because there are Boneyarders who will likely take it the wrong way, but I wonder if the loss of Lou for a few games is exactly what this team needs. Halfway through the season Geno remarked that whenever Lou was on the bench, the offense lost its flow. The first game without her, that was quite evident. But they learned by the second game without her.

My hope is that they'll function even better as a team when she returns. Assuming that she comes back for the first game of the NCAA tourney, they should be able to work any kinks out against virtually no competition, and for the second game, they should be able to polish it up against minimal competition.

I'm quite optimistic.

Reaction Score

View attachment 40797
Suspect Crystal will need bubble as well.

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
I say this with trepidation, because there are Boneyarders who will likely take it the wrong way, but I wonder if the loss of Lou for a few games is (a good thing...).

Geno has said as much and Lobo was even more direct about it. The answer is yes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I question the bolded statement above, especially the second part. There have been a few games earlier this year when ONO was in double figures in scoring with very limited minutes. What I have seen in the two games this weekend is that both ECU and USF found it necessary to keep two defensive bodies close to her in the low post to stop passes from coming into her. That is a level of defensive attention that is usually reserved for Kalani Brown or McCowan, and obviously it opens up the rest of the court and helped to allow Pheesa to do what she did.

I think that if UCF chooses to single-cover her, she will score in double digits rather easily. However, since they are a height-challenged team themselves, I don't think they will do that.

JoeP, thanks for the reply. You wrote that you questioned the BOLDED part of my post which I wrote that K.K. Wright was their best player and their leading scorer. You do know that Wright was selected to this year's AAC 1st team All-Conference team right?

First Team All-Conference
Kornelia "Kay Kay" Wright, UCF
IImar’I Thomas, Cincinnati
Napheesa Collier, UConn*
Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn*
Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
Mia Davis, Temple

No other UCF player made the first team, so it would be a fair statement to say that Wright is their best player. It's a fact that she is their leading scorer at 18 ppg. The second leading scorer is at 8.0 ppg.

I also said that if UConn could hold her to 14 points or less, they had a good chance of winning the game. Wright scored 4 points tonight. I said that Coombs was the new 6th man. Tonight she was the first player off the bench. She replaced ONO after she received her second foul. UConn won. ;)

[Box score]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
I say this with trepidation, because there are Boneyarders who will likely take it the wrong way, but I wonder if the loss of Lou for a few games is exactly what this team needs. Halfway through the season Geno remarked that whenever Lou was on the bench, the offense lost its flow. The first game without her, that was quite evident. But they learned by the second game without her.

My hope is that they'll function even better as a team when she returns. Assuming that she comes back for the first game of the NCAA tourney, they should be able to work any kinks out against virtually no competition, and for the second game, they should be able to polish it up against minimal competition.

I'm quite optimistic.

BIG B: Makes a lot of sense, start to finish,

Reaction Score
I could see Olivia starting over Christyn in some of the later games against taller teams.

Reaction Score
Score more points. Obviously. ;)

But more seriously, making sure that all of the starters are making scoring contributions is key tonight. If Coach Abe sees that it's going to take a 30+ point night from Phee for UConn to squeak out a win, they'll pummel her the same way they did Lou in the last meeting.

That, and bring in Touly for a little extra... control.

:D Touly was not required for this game.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
JoeP, thanks for the reply. You wrote that you questioned the BOLDED part of my post which I wrote that K.K. Wright was their best player and their leading scorer. You do know that Wright was selected to this year's AAC 1st team All-Conference team right?

First Team All-Conference
Kornelia "Kay Kay" Wright, UCF
IImar’I Thomas, Cincinnati
Napheesa Collier, UConn*
Katie Lou Samuelson, UConn*
Crystal Dangerfield, UConn
Mia Davis, Temple

No other UCF player made the first team, so it would be a fair statement to say that Wright is their best player. It's a fact that she is their leading scorer at 18 ppg. The second leading scorer is at 8.0 ppg.

I also said that if UConn could hold her to 14 points or less, they had a good chance of winning the game. Wright scored 4 points tonight. I said that Coombs was the new 6th man. Tonight she was the first player off the bench. She replaced ONO after she received her second foul. UConn won. ;)

[Box score]
Kay Kay was very good in the prior 2 games, scoring 41 points, I believe. Crystal and Mikayla didn't give her any room to move. For the second half of the ECU game, the full USF game, and much of the UCF game, our defense was as good as it has been all season. Mikayla is a heck of an athlete.

Reaction Score
Mikayla and CD were lights out defensively in the first half (reminded me of MoJeff). Second half you could tell that they didn't extend as much and let up a bit. The one takeaway from this is that we have that one extra player that can really come in and help CD and CW help defend a top scorer on an opposing team. This means that come 4th quarter when scoring is needed in addition to defense, our scorers will be that much fresher. Mikayla's job would be to defend and also make that player work that much harder on offense and most likely affect the defensive effort on the other end. In addition, with Liv having minutes Pheesa is less likely expending as much on the denfensive end and on rebounding. The development of these two players (ONO, Mikayla) is paramount and I believe is necessary for UCONN to win the NC, especially given that we will see some good guards along the way.

Reaction Score
BIGB: If you remember a couple of years ago, Aleana Coates @ SC went down with an injury and the whole offense opened up and gave Wilson more room to operate. The rest is history.
Lou missing from the tourney was, as they say, a blessing in disguise.

Reaction Score
Thread title reminds me of the joke that got Soupy Sales thrown off the air.

I C F .....................

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Geno has said as much and Lobo was even more direct about it. The answer is yes.

Yeah, I heard it during the broadcast last night. Nice to know I get something right now and then. :rolleyes:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Thread needs updating:

How in the world do we compete in the NCAA's w/o Collier?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom