How in the world do we beat u C f without Samuelson | The Boneyard

How in the world do we beat u C f without Samuelson

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
Score more points. Obviously. ;)

But more seriously, making sure that all of the starters are making scoring contributions is key tonight. If Coach Abe sees that it's going to take a 30+ point night from Phee for UConn to squeak out a win, they'll pummel her the same way they did Lou in the last meeting.

That, and bring in Touly for a little extra... control.

Reaction Score

But more seriously, making sure that all of the starters are making scoring contributions is key tonight. If Coach Abe sees that it's going to take a 30+ point night from Phee for UConn to squeak out a win, they'll pummel her the same way they did Lou in the last meeting.

Touly = Enforcer ;);):cool::D

Reaction Score

ARGO: Wise guy. Chuckles here. Speaking of Touly in all seriousness, would be very curious about how you and any others size up the way the staff is handling her. Despite the obvious build up of rust, she seems to me fill some major needs for us. Wonder why not getting more time? All about injuries?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Seemed to work for us yesterday, eh? :cool: Signed: The Worry Wart.....but hopeful!
Was gonna say...

301.jpg

Let's hope it works.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I watched Samuelson yesterday. She was much more active than during the ECU game. During the ECU game she seemed to be walking a bit gingerly, not so yesterday. She was also jumping up and down on the bench whenever UConn made a good play. During halftime warmups she stood under the basket and passed to her team mates. Something she didn't do the day before. All in all her demeanor during the game indicated (to me at least) that she was feeling pretty good.

One of the times that she sat she actually paused to move a water bottle while only half way down to her seat. Anyone who has had back spasms knows that once you start to sit there is no pausing. :)

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
The answer is: play the same way as yesterday. UCF is not a high scoring team. Keep Wright and Koda in check.

UCF will find out quickly that you drive the lane at your peril. They are not a good 3 point shooting team. Olivia has changed our defense and UCF hasn't seen it before.

Balance scoring like yesterday and against ECU. Force UCF to guard straight up. No double downs.

Argonaut

No, not that Providence.
Reaction Score
ARGO: Wise guy. Chuckles here. Speaking of Touly in all seriousness, would be very curious about how you and any others size up the way the staff is handling her. Despite the obvious build up of rust, she seems to me fill some major needs for us. Wonder why not getting more time? All about injuries?

This is just based on a lot of speculation from a lot of reading, but I think when Touly fires on all cylinders, it takes her body a while to bounce back from it. I think she’s probably about as healed as she’s going to get, for better or worse, so they’re strategically using her when they really need her. She’s an awesome defensive (read: punishing) option off the bench, but I think Geno knows when he uses her for major minutes (i.e. the last UCF game), she isn’t a viable option again for a little while.

Again, 100% speculation.

Reaction Score
This is just based on a lot of speculation from a lot of reading, but I think when Touly fires on all cylinders, it takes her body a while to bounce back from it. I think she’s probably about as healed as she’s going to get, for better or worse, so they’re strategically using her when they really need her. She’s an awesome defensive (read: punishing) option off the bench, but I think Geno knows when he uses her for major minutes (i.e. the last UCF game), she isn’t a viable option again for a little while.

Again, 100% speculation.

ARGO: Thanks - sounds very reasonable to me. Hope some others will send their thoughts as well.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

UConn also needs to contain their best player and leading scorer, K.K. Wright. Hold her to under 15 points. UCF is going to score. Make them work for every basket they get. Limit out turnovers. Make our free throws. None of the starters can get in foul trouble. Our 6th man is not available (she's starting).

Coombs has become the new 6th man. She does not have the green light to take jumpers...........yet.
ONO is still limited in her offensive production. Right now, if a starter goes out, it's almost like being 3 on 5. Crystal, Phee and Megan would have to take the majority of the shots, and carry the offense.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score

Batouly could have a significant role to play if Liv starts collecting fouls. I suspect UCF will be game planning to go right at Liv to take her out of the game.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
If our seniors could will an attribute or skill to a retuning player or an incoming freshman, who would you like to see get what?

I would like for Collier to will her "hands" and her ability to score under the basket to ONO.
I'd like to see LOU will her ability to shoot treys to Mikayla Coombs. :cool:

Reaction Score
Seemed to work for us yesterday, eh? :cool: Signed: The Worry Wart.....but hopeful!
The answer to the Title Question: Play ONO for 39 minutes. CW for 35, Walker 35, Danger 35 and Collier for 10. We don't want to run up too high a score do we?? 129 to 40 would still be considered "decent", right???

Reaction Score
If our seniors could will an attribute or skill to a retuning player or an incoming freshman, who would you like to see get what?

I would like for Collier to will her "hands" and her ability to score under the basket to ONO.
I'd like to see LOU will her ability to shoot treys to Mikayla Coombs. :cool:
Naphees can keep her hands and under basket ability, they are safe. Olivia Nelson Odado hand are getting familiar with the bullet passes, the over the shoulder pass, and working on moves to the basket. Can you believe what she can be by November. I was terribly worried about not getting a BIG for next year. That's past tense.
When I look at her critically and evaluate her potential--I'm shocked, I have no end to the potential, that's scary.
AND she learns quickly and strongly.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
C-STREAM: Very well said....and not even any head banging this time around! Nice to be on the same page.
Appreciate your thoughts @winlots
I was definitely really, really rude to you and apologize.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
UConn also needs to contain their best player and leading scorer, K.K. Wright. Hold her to under 15 points. UCF is going to score. Make them work for every basket they get. Limit out turnovers. Make our free throws. None of the starters can get in foul trouble. Our 6th man is not available (she's starting).

Coombs has become the new 6th man. She does not have the green light to take jumpers......yet.
ONO is still limited in her offensive production. Right now, if a starter goes out, it's almost like being 3 on 5. Crystal, Phee and Megan would have to take the majority of the shots, and carry the offense.
I question the bolded statement above, especially the second part. There have been a few games earlier this year when ONO was in double figures in scoring with very limited minutes. What I have seen in the two games this weekend is that both ECU and USF found it necessary to keep two defensive bodies close to her in the low post to stop passes from coming into her. That is a level of defensive attention that is usually reserved for Kalani Brown or McCowan, and obviously it opens up the rest of the court and helped to allow Pheesa to do what she did.

I think that if UCF chooses to single-cover her, she will score in double digits rather easily. However, since they are a height-challenged team themselves, I don't think they will do that.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom