How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How hard will it be for UConn to repeat as NCAA champion?

Reaction Score
Another National Championship would be awful nice, but not likely realistic.

I would love to have a run of BE championships (regular & tourney). Let's make the Elite8 each of the next 5-7 years with multiple Final4's.

I think the main reason Husky detractors are able to take shots at us is that since 2009, our championship runs came unexpectedly. Everyone forgets consistent JC had the machine running from 1990-2009. Every 4 or 5 years we would have an off season - but when JC's teams were good, they took no prisoners.
When a few people have "hinted" we were lucky in 2011 and 2014 I've told them we were unlucky in 1996, 1999, 2006 and 2009 but we don't walk around with t-shirts proclaiming that.

Reaction Score
Very optimistic for this coming season due to a strong starting lineup and what appears to be significant depth. Even more stoked for the long term success of the program given the apparent excellence in recruiting, culture, player development, chemistry, etc that Coach Hurley has developed.
Culture and chemistry were the keys this year and Krzyzewski mentioned the camaraderie that was so evident.
No hero ball, no forced shots by players trying to "get theirs", and great unselfish play all around, even by the guys that had limited minutes (like NA, JC and DC). They were a team with a goal, knew their roles and followed the script.

Reaction Score
Glad you left out Karaban. He appears immune to pressure.
He also gives great interviews. Very thoughtful, seems to have thought things through, and must be an English major based on his vocabulary and grammar.

Reaction Score
He and JC were together somewhere in Connecticut the other night at an awards ceremony.
Franciscan Sports Banquet and Silent Auction.. 6/6/23.. Aqua Turf Club

Edit: Posted before I saw post #36 saying the same.. My mistake.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Some musings about this issue:
-That sounds like a goal for Marquette.
-The Big East should be so good the champion should at least get to the Elite 8.
-It would be great to know what DH will say and do to motivate the players this year, but I don't think it will be:
"It's too hard to repeat so let's save ourselves from potential disappointment by agreeing to settle for the Sweet Sixteen".

JM's message applies: "It's so easy to give in. HARD things are HARD. And if you don't embrace that, if you ever give in to it, then you will never get to where you want to be."
Of course the team should shoot to be champions. I personally just want us to win our conference for the first time in a long time which is pretty attainable compared to being the third team ever to go back to back. Then just put together a good tourney run.

But hey, if we can do it again I’ll make sure I’m there again!!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We might actually be more talented next season. If Castle is who we want him to be then we are going to conquer and dominate. Nobody has the raw talent + championship experience combination.

Reaction Score
I've said over and over again that the defending champ is almost always overrated, with an undue benefit of the doubt that massive personnel losses will be easily replaced.

Only 1 time out of 4 did our preseason ranking translate to our NCAAT seed, and that year (2005) we were probably overseeded.

We will be a good team. Top 15 and a top-4 seed is very likely. But more than that is asking a lot.
2000 and 2005 were both years that injuries really screwed with what could have been good runs.

2000 had finally gotten its act together and then the KEA injury knocked them out in R2. Had they won, they'd have gotten the 8 seed and then the 7 seed in the E8 and then a 5 in the Final Four. Decent chance they would have played MSU for a chance at the title.

2005 had the Rashad injury—and the AJP injury—in the background.

If you're just looking at roster changes, etc., I think 2005 is the closest parallel. Okafor and Gordon were top two scorers, inside out, just as Sanogo and Hawkins. Taliek brought a toughness and defense like Jackson. Then they brought in a Top 10 guy in Gay and had a strong group of rising sophomores (Charlie, Josh, Marcus) who had to step up. I don't think that team beats Illinois or UNC that year, but with a healthy AJP & Rashad they're a real threat.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom