How great is this? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How great is this?

Reaction Score
Next season will probably be both brutal and a clear upgrade. I hate gimmick defenses, so not happy about that, but if it work.....

I think we are 2 season away from looking like a competitive program but by year 4 I expect we will looking at a 10 win season.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's entirely the point though. The point is we have a competent group of coaches in now who understand how to run a football program, who understand how to call a game, who understand how to recruit, who connect with the former players, and who've proven they can win. There's a good mix of experience and youth on the coaching staff to balance the new trends of the game with the understanding of how to use it situationally.

No more Batman, no more energy vampires, no more run-run-pass-punt, no more not returning punts because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, no more going for it on 4th and 12 on the 14 in the 2nd quarter - we're rebuilding a solid competent football program.

The pieces may not be there to win lots of games immediately, but there's definitely reason for optimism that the trajectory of the program is extremely positive.

It will be a bit sad that the only team in America that ever faked a fake field goal will no longer be faking the fake field goals, though... :confused:

Reaction Score
Next season will probably be both brutal and a clear upgrade. I hate gimmick defenses, so not happy about that, but if it work.....

I think we are 2 season away from looking like a competitive program but by year 4 I expect we will looking at a 10 win season.

Meh if you don't consider RPO a gimmick offense then the 3-3-5 isn't a gimmick defense. I'm happy were trying something new for once. WVU has run it for a while and been successful

Reaction Score
I'm not sure that's entirely the point though. The point is we have a competent group of coaches in now who understand how to run a football program, who understand how to call a game, who understand how to recruit, who connect with the former players, and who've proven they can win. There's a good mix of experience and youth on the coaching staff to balance the new trends of the game with the understanding of how to use it situationally.

No more Batman, no more energy vampires, no more run-run-pass-punt, no more not returning punts because ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, no more going for it on 4th and 12 on the 14 in the 2nd quarter - we're rebuilding a solid competent football program.

The pieces may not be there to win lots of games immediately, but there's definitely reason for optimism that the trajectory of the program is extremely positive.

Agree with 1000% of that. DOn't think I said anything different. Just not sure it's going to lead to a satisfactory number of wins immediately.

Reaction Score
On the other hand Biz, to a starving man that fish will taste just fine.

Certainly agree with that. If anyone read my caution as meaning I won't be a heck of a lot more excited in the parking lot on a late summer Thursday night before Holy Cross than I've been in a long time, they are not reading it right.

Reaction Score
Meh if you don't consider RPO a gimmick offense then the 3-3-5 isn't a gimmick defense. I'm happy were trying something new for once. WVU has run it for a while and been successful

Ever read a note from me saying I am a fan of RPO? Though gimmick offenses bother me less than gimmick defenses. Yes WVU has run it for a long time. It is still a gimmick, didn't say it couldn't or wouldn't work....just not my thing. If we win I won't care. I am a boring meat & potatoes 4-3 guy.

Reaction Score
On the 3-3-5 I don't think it is that much of a gimmick in this era of offense. You see lots of 5 dbacks. You ad going to see less of linebackers covering backs and tight ends and some blitzing from all over his he field.

Reaction Score
On the 3-3-5 I don't think it is that much of a gimmick in this era of offense. You see lots of 5 dbacks. You ad going to see less of linebackers covering backs and tight ends and some blitzing from all over his he field.

It isn't a gimmick as an option. It is a gimmick as a base set. I doubt more than 10% of D-I Programs run it as a base defense. If I am correct, that makes it a gimmick. Again, if it work for us I will be just as happy as the next fan.

Reaction Score
It isn't a gimmick as an option. It is a gimmick as a base set. I doubt more than 10% of D-I Programs run it as a base defense. If I am correct, that makes it a gimmick. Again, if it work for us I will be just as happy as the next fan.

I think it is mostly just an adaptation to try to get better matchups in an era when the offenses are running hurry ups and spreads. Wasn't that long ago that the hurry up was considered a gimmicky approach. Now it is almost standard. The extra d-back is really something of a hybrid safety/linebacker rather than the hybrid lb/de we saw in lots of 4-3/3-4 sets.

Reaction Score
Agree with 1000% of that. DOn't think I said anything different. Just not sure it's going to lead to a satisfactory number of wins immediately.
What's your definition of satisfactory? Also, I've made the argument elsewhere, it'll be difficult to be strictly results oriented with this year's team. The more telling metric will be how the product on the field actually looks and performs. If we're highly competent, well-coached, schemes are executed, decision making and playcalling are on point and sensible but we end up 4-8 or 5-7 with some close tough losses then I'm OK with that.

Reaction Score

I think it is mostly just an adaptation to try to get better matchups in an era when the offenses are running hurry ups and spreads. Wasn't that long ago that the hurry up was considered a gimmicky approach. Now it is almost standard. The extra d-back is really something of a hybrid safety/linebacker rather than the hybrid lb/de we saw in lots of 4-3/3-4 sets.

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath 8m 8 minutes ago
Edsall on the new defense: A 3-3-5 defense can create problems because it’s not something a lot of schools run

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath 38s 39 seconds ago
In the fifth defensive back position, he wants someone with athleticism of a safety but a linebacker mentality.

Shawn McGrath‏ @ShawnMMcGrath 10s 11 seconds ago
It allows you to keep your base defense in more situations. He can cover a slot receiver in a three-wide formation

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
There was a very good thread on this a few months back. It's no gimmick - NFL teams are actually playing 3-3-5 base now, the Steelers advertised it in their starting lineup in the playoffs and the Pats (among other teams) played enough nickel to consider it a base D. It is the best way to combat the spread, and everyone is running the spread. SEC schools with LB's who run 4.5 40's don't need to do it, but in our world it will work very well.

Reaction Score
There was a very good thread on this a few months back. It's no gimmick - NFL teams are actually playing 3-3-5 base now, the Steelers advertised it in their starting lineup in the playoffs and the Pats (among other teams) played enough nickel to consider it a base D. It is the best way to combat the spread, and everyone is running the spread. SEC schools with LB's who run 4.5 40's don't need to do it, but in our world it will work very well.

As a Steelers fan it's hilarious they actually did that when they have only 2 DB's worth keeping on a roster (Burns, Davis)

Reaction Score
It will be a bit sad that the only team in America that ever faked a fake field goal will no longer be faking the fake field goals, though... :confused:
Still shaking my head on that beauty. Got to be a first.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom