How good will UConn be next year? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How good will UConn be next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
We lose Davis & Foxx and still have Cummings.
I don't see any wins. Who are we better than?

We lost games where we theoretically had better talent this year because of how the games were coached. I would assume that his style should change now that he has a year under his belt. If you are that pessimistic you should probably throw your laptop out the window and come back in 5 years.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Maybe there will be one "WTF" win à la UCF?

Reaction Score
if Shirreffs is good maybe it will be like 2007 when we went from last place to first place because of Lorenzen.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
If we don't get better than average QB play I don't think we will be very good at all. Sadly.
This really is it, isn't it? Through these past 4 years our QB play, minus three games of CC at the end of 2013, was below average and it didn't matter who we had to surround the QB. If Sherriffs isn't any good and Boyle hasn't improved by 100%, we're in deep crap. I'm hoping that either of those too turn out to be some what competent enough to get the ball to some of our young receivers who showed some promise this year. Having a passing game will open things up for our strong RB corps.

Without QB play improvement by a lot, next year will look a lot like this year. I'm really hoping someone at the QB position turns into something servicable or better.

Reaction Score
I think with some good offseason work the OL can replace the losses and move forward with continued improvement from the guys who saw time last year. That is the key to any implementation of scheme on offense but we need way better leadership from a single QB to get the timing where it needs to be. No more talk about "key backups" or "future of the program".

We should be better, but we won't unless there's some clear definition of roles and expectations that last for more than a quarter or a half of football. And the DeLorenzo situation still has me a little annoyed because I haven't a clue why he was selected for the doghouse with all the chaos swirling around our offense.

Reaction Score
We should be better, but we won't unless there's some clear definition of roles and expectations that last for more than a quarter or a half of football. And the DeLorenzo situation still has me a little annoyed because I haven't a clue why he was selected for the doghouse with all the chaos swirling around our offense.
Opening the season's very first offensive play with a fumble didn't help and Johnson showed he is a more complete back. Can he be utilized as a fullback next season? Hopefully, but can he put a blitzing defender on their back side? With Newsome and Johnson emerging as slashers and pounders it looks to me that Delorenzo's niche is gonna have to be blocking back or slide over to tight end as it seems he can catch a football and bull forward to grab that extra yard or two on the outside for a first down.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I really hope they have the signing day event at the Rent again in February... Need to hear from Diaco on where things stand... probably something respectful and loving but I still need to hear it.

Reaction Score
Looking at the schedule, here are my (way too early) predictions:

Home: Villanova (W), Army (W), East Carolina (L), Houston (L), Navy (L), South Florida (W)

Away: BYU (L), Missouri (L), UCF (L), Cincy (L), Temple (W), Tulane (W)

Best Case: 10-2
Worst Case: 2-10
Realistic Projection: 5-7

When looking at this schedule now, the only two games that I can chalk up as for sure loses would be at Missouri and BYU, because I think that the talent gap between us and those teams would be too much to close in one season. Other than that, I can point to both the UCF and ECU games from this past season where we not only beat UCF, but frankly outplayed ECU on the road. Regardless of the countless stinkers that our team put out this year (Memphis and SMU), our conference isn't spectacular and I could see us making that 9-3 or 10-2 flip in 2015.

Reaction Score
Weird how we play Temple and Tulane on the road, again... (2 years in a row)

Reaction Score
Positives:

- OL progressed fairly well as the season progressed. If we can hit the ground running with that unit, the playbook will open up a bit and not resemble that God awful strategy that we saw against USF this past season of running up the middle 3 times and punting.

- We found 2 very good young RBs this past season. Ron Johnson seems to have 1A status going into 2015 because he is stronger and doesn't fumble. Newsome can be a very good 1B and I expect the fumbling issues to resolve itself once he puts on more Soph muscle this offseason. I think both will contribute if we move more to a read-option offense.

- Noel Thomas emerged as a go-to WR for when we put the ball in the air. He will keep opposing defenses honest.

- We played a TON of FR this past season. Game experience is important for our program heading into 2015 and beyond. I think that we will see quite a few members of incoming recruit class see the field next year. DL has some big boys up front and we found some talent.

"Areas of Improvement":

- We have been searching for a QB since Orlovsky graduated and 2015 will be no different. We obviously have no idea what kind of offense Shirreffs can/will run. We do know that Boyle appears to be not ready for D-1 level action. Kid has a good arm but needs work on accuracy and decision making. Lots of it. I don't think we'll see Davis see the field next year but you never know. If he shows off some skill in practices, it's not unheard of for a FR to see the field here at UCONN. Personally, I hope that we are in the market for a 5th year transfer. Golson recently announced he will graduate in May and I hope/pray that Diaco has some sort of built-up relationship with him to be able to lure him to Storrs. He would be our starting QB the second he would arrive on campus, if he decides to go the 5th Year route.

- LB. I thought Junior Joseph showed promise as a RS FR. When that kid hits you, you're going down. Needs some work on his angles but that is to be expected from a young LB. I think he possesses the athleticism to contribute. Vann will be returning as captain and SR and we will need him to make the defensive calls. I would love to see if Vontae Diggs can supplant Graham Stewart for a full-time role in the spring and summer. He's longer and better fits what Diaco & staff are recruiting with size/length and was a big commit when he switched from Ball State to UCONN last winter. Overall, this unit struggled in 2014 with gap control and taking the right tackling angles. Hopefully we will see improvement in 2015.

- Secondary. When we lost Byron Jones, our depth (or lack of) at CB really stood out. I thought Jhavon Williams improved slowly thoughout the season but has a long way to go (like trying to find the ball in coverage). McAllister should prepare to be the starting CB on the other side of the field unless Diaco plans on using a true FR. Obi struggled mightily in the beginning of the season and seemed to have gotten somewhat better as the season progressed, until his injury. I thought Andrew Adams was our best player in the secondary this past year. Overall, we saw tons of games where our secondary was torched and/or penalized on long pass plays. Our guys seemed incapable of turning their heads in coverage to try to locate the ball. I don't know if they're being coached that way or not. I know shielding isn't a penalty in college but we went beyond shielding too many times for too many very easy PI penalties against us.

- Special Teams. Puyol doesn't have the strong leg that was advertised coming out of high school. He didn't cost us any games but he certainly doesn't inspire the type of confidence needed either. Our punting was atrocious. I don't know what the stats are but the average length of punt and net yardage gained has to be close to the bottom in the country. Simply put, we never turned any fields the way we needed to with such a stagnant offense. We all know our kickoff coverage was outstanding (although I still can't believe we were offsides against Temple that cost this unit a freebie TD!), but our kick/punt return teams struggled mightily. Our punt returners would let way too many balls hit the turf and that would cost us 10-15+ additional yards of field position on the majority of punt returns. Our kick return teams could barely get to the 20 yard line before being stuffed by a swarm of gunners and runners. If our offense is going to struggle again in 2015, it is imperative that we find someone who will 1) at least catch the majority of punts before they hit the ground and 2) possess the vision/speed to advance kick returns beyond the 25-30 yard line. We'll need very good starting field position.

I think my floor expectation for 2015 is 5 wins. We used the entire 2014 as "practice" getting guys ready and giving the majority of our roster in-game experience. That's all good as long as there is an improvement in the W/L record this season. Anything less than 5 wins should/would result in more changes in the staff.

Great Analysis. I expect that progress under Diaco will be similar to what Butch Jones is doing in TN. We will be fortunate to get 5 Wins.

I will take 2-2 right know against Villanova, Army, Missouri and BYU. Home: East Carolina, Houston, Navy, USF Away: UCF, Cincinnati, Temple, Tulane - This is gonna be a challenge. The conference looks tougher than the Big East to me. Temple, Tulane and USF on the surface are the easiest teams and they beat us last year. ECU, Houston, Navy, UCF and Cincy will be tougher. This conference is no picnic!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I really hope they have the signing day event at the Rent again in February... Need to hear from Diaco on where things stand... probably something respectful and loving but I still need to hear it.
Whether it is at the Rent or not, you are sure to hear it.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
We ain't beating 'Nova, and Bobby Boy has shown he cannot stop the option. Army is also a loss at home.
2 wins. Tops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate