How good will UConn be next year? | The Boneyard

How good will UConn be next year?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will you guys finally have the depth and players for Diaco to orchestrate his turnaround plan?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
We can hope and pray, but at this point it's anyone's guess. Most of us don't feel good, especially given the utter lack of known commodities at QB and talent at other skill positions. His recruiting class features players with great size and physical attributes, but unfortunately the majority look to be projects who will take a while to learn the schemes.

Then again, you have to consider that a good 25% of the fanbase has already given up on Diaco's "plan" and is biding its time waiting for him to be fired.

An aside: props to you for still showing up. However, if these Memphis-B12 rumors heat up again I would suggest bringing a security detail with you... ;)

Reaction Score
Will you guys finally have the depth and players for Diaco to orchestrate his turnaround plan?

Dude - I usually give visiting people a lot of latitude before I pass judgement but you are starting to be a patronizing hole.

The season just ended, we had no extra practices, and National Signing Day is still over a month away so we have no clue what additions there are to the team.

Go away and come back in August...please.

Reaction Score
Dude - I usually give visiting people a lot of latitude before I pass judgement but you are starting to be a patronizing hole.

The season just ended, we had no extra practices, and National Signing Day is still over a month away so we have no clue what additions there are to the team.

Go away and come back in August...please.
Here's another example of a Husky fan shooting "good will towards men" in the leg, Jeeeshhh... why don't you go away and come back in August?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Here's another example of a Husky fan shooting "good will towards men" in the leg, Jeeeshhh... why don't you go away and come back in August?

Doesn't that only apply when we beat the teams visitors root for?

Reaction Score
Well it can't get much worse so it should get a lot better. The O-line should improve as they don't lose much there to graduation(Mateas & Cruz but as of 1/2/15 who really knows how many are coming back next season). They take a pretty good hit at wide receiver though with Geremy Davis and Deshon Foxx graduationg. The one thing everyone wants to see is how they overcome losing Whitmer and Cochran. Boyle? I don't know, just looks too slow to me but you don't have to be lightning fast to hand the ball off as all of the running backs should be coming back next season a little bigger and hopefully faster. Boyle does have an arm, just not sure about how effective he can be keeping defenses honest with his legs. I'll be curious to see how many holes Diaco plugs with Juco's or experienced transfers.

Lot of work to do for the coaching staff this winter so we'll see how many buy in and how many walk.

Reaction Score
Nice feedback. Your class has some nice and rangy players. Diaco and. Fuente recruit very similar. Fuente emphasizes on recruiting tall players for our defense as well. I think it is a good strategy when your safeties can be 6'3-6-4' and challenge opponents receivers when those 50/50 balls are thrown in the air. Having tall lineman also is a plus.

Reaction Score
We can hope and pray, but at this point it's anyone's guess. Most of us don't feel good, especially given the utter lack of known commodities at QB and talent at other skill positions. His recruiting class features players with great size and physical attributes, but unfortunately the majority look to be projects who will take a while to learn the schemes.

Then again, you have to consider that a good 25% of the fanbase has already given up on Diaco's "plan" and is biding its time waiting for him to be fired.

An aside: props to you for still showing up. However, if these Memphis-B12 rumors heat up again I would suggest bringing a security detail with you... ;)
Lol we will see if these rumors are real or fake. If nothing heats up end of January or March our realignment gurus are full of bs then. I am cool in whatever conference my team is. I just like to see my team win and the kids have fun.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
O-line needs to be dominant, competent QB play is a must, and more speed at LB. If we get all 3 it could be a good year. Will need the O-line to make a leap for a bowl game to be possible. It's hard to make the case the team improved over the season based on the results. We'll need a lot of good surprises at a lot of positions.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Positives:

- OL progressed fairly well as the season progressed. If we can hit the ground running with that unit, the playbook will open up a bit and not resemble that God awful strategy that we saw against USF this past season of running up the middle 3 times and punting.

- We found 2 very good young RBs this past season. Ron Johnson seems to have 1A status going into 2015 because he is stronger and doesn't fumble. Newsome can be a very good 1B and I expect the fumbling issues to resolve itself once he puts on more Soph muscle this offseason. I think both will contribute if we move more to a read-option offense.

- Noel Thomas emerged as a go-to WR for when we put the ball in the air. He will keep opposing defenses honest.

- We played a TON of FR this past season. Game experience is important for our program heading into 2015 and beyond. I think that we will see quite a few members of incoming recruit class see the field next year. DL has some big boys up front and we found some talent.

"Areas of Improvement":

- We have been searching for a QB since Orlovsky graduated and 2015 will be no different. We obviously have no idea what kind of offense Shirreffs can/will run. We do know that Boyle appears to be not ready for D-1 level action. Kid has a good arm but needs work on accuracy and decision making. Lots of it. I don't think we'll see Davis see the field next year but you never know. If he shows off some skill in practices, it's not unheard of for a FR to see the field here at UCONN. Personally, I hope that we are in the market for a 5th year transfer. Golson recently announced he will graduate in May and I hope/pray that Diaco has some sort of built-up relationship with him to be able to lure him to Storrs. He would be our starting QB the second he would arrive on campus, if he decides to go the 5th Year route.

- LB. I thought Junior Joseph showed promise as a RS FR. When that kid hits you, you're going down. Needs some work on his angles but that is to be expected from a young LB. I think he possesses the athleticism to contribute. Vann will be returning as captain and SR and we will need him to make the defensive calls. I would love to see if Vontae Diggs can supplant Graham Stewart for a full-time role in the spring and summer. He's longer and better fits what Diaco & staff are recruiting with size/length and was a big commit when he switched from Ball State to UCONN last winter. Overall, this unit struggled in 2014 with gap control and taking the right tackling angles. Hopefully we will see improvement in 2015.

- Secondary. When we lost Byron Jones, our depth (or lack of) at CB really stood out. I thought Jhavon Williams improved slowly thoughout the season but has a long way to go (like trying to find the ball in coverage). McAllister should prepare to be the starting CB on the other side of the field unless Diaco plans on using a true FR. Obi struggled mightily in the beginning of the season and seemed to have gotten somewhat better as the season progressed, until his injury. I thought Andrew Adams was our best player in the secondary this past year. Overall, we saw tons of games where our secondary was torched and/or penalized on long pass plays. Our guys seemed incapable of turning their heads in coverage to try to locate the ball. I don't know if they're being coached that way or not. I know shielding isn't a penalty in college but we went beyond shielding too many times for too many very easy PI penalties against us.

- Special Teams. Puyol doesn't have the strong leg that was advertised coming out of high school. He didn't cost us any games but he certainly doesn't inspire the type of confidence needed either. Our punting was atrocious. I don't know what the stats are but the average length of punt and net yardage gained has to be close to the bottom in the country. Simply put, we never turned any fields the way we needed to with such a stagnant offense. We all know our kickoff coverage was outstanding (although I still can't believe we were offsides against Temple that cost this unit a freebie TD!), but our kick/punt return teams struggled mightily. Our punt returners would let way too many balls hit the turf and that would cost us 10-15+ additional yards of field position on the majority of punt returns. Our kick return teams could barely get to the 20 yard line before being stuffed by a swarm of gunners and runners. If our offense is going to struggle again in 2015, it is imperative that we find someone who will 1) at least catch the majority of punts before they hit the ground and 2) possess the vision/speed to advance kick returns beyond the 25-30 yard line. We'll need very good starting field position.

I think my floor expectation for 2015 is 5 wins. We used the entire 2014 as "practice" getting guys ready and giving the majority of our roster in-game experience. That's all good as long as there is an improvement in the W/L record this season. Anything less than 5 wins should/would result in more changes in the staff.

Reaction Score
TigerJ said:

We might be more optimistic if we knew what the "plan" was . . .

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The line still bothers me. Its the key to everything on offense and it's difficult to really measure the improvement when you start out as the worst of all time. My gut tells me that they learned how to play but the results even at the end were not good enough compared to where they need to be, If the Brown and Todman seasons are a 10, I think they peaked at a 3 this year. Still an upgrade from the 0 they started the season with, but need another level jump this offseason in strength, technique and cohesiveness.

On D, I'd love to see Obi take Stewarts spot at OLB in the 3-4. Move Stewart inside if you like his physicality. In the secondary, I'd be ok with another year of experience on McAllister, Adams, and Jh Williams.

Reaction Score
HOW GOOD? HOW GOOD? Are you kidding? Anyone knows a head coach going into their second year with one recruiting class of mostly projected future players is going to at least win the conference. Heck with all this new found depth we could shock the world! We"re talk'n Rose or Sugar here son.
Of course much will hinge on who Diaco desides to use as a long snapper in the red zone. ;)

Reaction Score
If we don't get better than average QB play I don't think we will be very good at all. Sadly.

Reaction Score
Every time I say "we can't be any worse than last year" I'm prove wrong. So.... I'll go with 1-11.
You're more optimistic than me. I don't see any victories on our schedule.

Reaction Score
Every time I say "we can't be any worse than last year" I'm prove wrong. So.... I'll go with 1-11.
That's the spirit. Do you tell your kids, there is no such thing as Christmas every year too?

Reaction Score
I hoping for a return to PP/GDL level with 5 wins next year and then a big improvement in year 3. In reality 5 wins would be real progress with a new QB. If we get lucky we might get to 6.

Reaction Score
We lose Davis & Foxx and still have Cummings.
I don't see any wins. Who are we better than?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom