How good a duo do you expect Paige & Azzi be? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How good a duo do you expect Paige & Azzi be?

Project where you think Paige & Azzi will rank amongst top UConn Duos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
By your metric, it is hard (for me) to imagine either Paige and Azzi not being AA from their respective Sophomore to Senior Years so for their 3 overlapping years, they get 15AA out of total of 18 available or 83%

I agree with you logic. I don't think we're putting too much pressure on these two. They've both been rated or ranked as the best players in the age group. Why all of a sudden should that change? I understand they will now be playing against the best college level players in the country.

All we're doing is looking at past and present behavior, and using that as a barometer to predict future behavior. It's done everyday. I see greatness in them today. I'll see greatness in them tomorrow. Think about it, when was the last time a player came to UConn ranked #1 in their HS class and was a bust? :eek:

Last edited:

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Will either one of them accomplish what Mo Jefferson did in college? College is all that matters now in their careers. She even had MOP award taken from her in one FF. Stewart even admitted it. She was one of the best ever at UConn, imo. I know this is about duos. Also, Muhl and Bueckers could be one of the best duos if they got the chance, but that will probably never happen as long as Fudd is on the team.

Reaction Score
No attack on the OP, simply can't vote. Have there been some great combinations? Yes but with supporting cast to ward off double teaming etc, no two players ever won a basketball game by themselves. I think it would be nice and respectful to discuss this years tandems and possibilities over something that may happen an entire season away. Azzi is good, very good but she is not coming in against chopped liver at the highest level of D1 ball. I get all the over zealous with her but there is plenty to respect that will be playing this season. Great off season topic of who she might move from a starter to the bench or not next year for me.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here's an informal poll: This is purely speculation because all we've got to go on at this point, is the bits and pieces of news about various players we're getting from their practice sessions.

Who do you think will win The Kibitzer's "Bad Ass" Award for the Quinnipiac game?

Aaliyah Edwards
gets my vote. ;) Even Geno has come out and said how "tough" she is, and we all know how hard it is to impress him after 35 years.

Reaction Score
We're getting way ahead of ourselves. Fudd just had serious injuries to her knee. Let the kids play and then after all is said and done, then carry on with whatever rankings you guys come up with.

I could not agree more.

Reaction Score
Here's an informal poll: This is purely speculation because all we've got to go on at this point, is the bits and pieces of news about various players we're getting from their practice sessions.

Who do you think will win The Kibitzer's "Bad Ass" Award for the Quinnipiac game?

Aaliyah Edwards
gets my vote. ;) Even Geno has come out and said how "tough" she is, and we all know how hard it is to impress him after 35 years.
Christyn has a lot to prove to herself and the team to show that this year she will be a better player. I think and hope she will take charge in the game, hit a bunch of shots and end up the Bad Ass of the game.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Christyn has a lot to prove to herself and the team to show that this year she will be a better player. I think and hope she will take charge in the game, hit a bunch of shots and end up the Bad Ass of the game.
How about Liv? This is a team that she should dominate on both ends of the court.

Reaction Score
How about Liv? This is a team that she should dominate on both ends of the court.
Liv for sure should dominate. All of the starters could go off in this game. It just seems to me that a big against an undersized, less talented team has an easier time of it than a guard that has to drive and shoot and make both jumpers and layups. There is more pressure in this game for Christyn than Liv.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
Gird your loins and let the games begin! At least we hope so. After coaching for 45 years I have learned one immutable fact, things rarely turn out the way we think they will. Hopefully we will have 5 years to debate this thread. While SB remains my favorite UCONN player and at this time she and DT remain what I consider the GOAT duo, I hope that that they are replaced by Paige and Azzi. Is there any Husky fan who doesn't want this to happen?
We are in line for an amazing ride the next 5+ years, will we then be able to debate who will ever be able to dethrone PB and as the UCONN GOAT duo? Time will tell.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
. . . then I expected the same thing from Williams. Williams still has a chance but she seems to defer to her teammates in bigger games. I think Paige and Azzi will be the best #1 recruits UConn has gotten since Stewie.

That's a great insight. The Huskies won't have the problem of nobody wanting the ball in her hands or taking the last shot for some time now. Paige just has it; CD and Jamelle have had at Nelson-Ododa and Edwards; Muhl will be able to get them the ball; Westbrook certainly appeared to have high confidence at Tennessee. . . Then we get to next year.

Reaction Score
Azzi and Paige are two "exceptional" players Their skills and BB IQ ARE NOT going to diminish over the next 4 years. They will get better and improve as they matriculate through the program. They will be playing against some of the same elite players they played against in AAU competition, so they won't be in over their heads. The fun starts when the college game slows down for them, they learn the system, and they KNOW what they're doing.

IF they can stay on the same talent and skill trajectory they're on now, I see no reason why they can't carve out a legacy of their own that can stand along side the greats in UConn lore. We'll have to wait until season's end to intelligently evaluate Paige's freshman year. We can project the next 3 years from there. The same for Azzi. If they're good today, they should be even better tomorrow. I don't think we have to be concerned about those two.
I don't think we have to be concerned either. One thing we don't know on the college level yet is exactly how the two of them will play together. I'm not talking about whether or not they are good or great, I am talking about who does what, how do they set each other up, etc. We can project but we don't know. One thing we do know is how Bird and DT played and still play together, how they always find each other, how they feed off each other, how they know exactly what the other is doing on the court at a given moment etc. They are simply nonpareil. The greatest point guard ever combined with the greatest player ever. Yet, I know we are all thinking it- neither had Azzi's release or pull up J or Paige's handle and that is saying an awful lot when you consider how incredibly high the bar is with those two.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom