How good a duo do you expect Paige & Azzi be? | The Boneyard

How good a duo do you expect Paige & Azzi be?

Project where you think Paige & Azzi will rank amongst top UConn Duos?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Although neither Paige or Azzi have played a game for UConn yet, they are popular topics of discussion. It got me wondering exactly how high those expectations have been set.

When all is said and done after their careers are over where do you project the duo of Paige & Azzi will rank in comparison to the previous UConn duos listed in the table below?

The table consists of 10 top Uconn Duos (complied based on AA's awarded).

1605797649106.png

Note: My original criteria was 3 seasons played together but thought I should include DT somehow to avoid complaints.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I won't vote because I feel like that is just begging for a mojo slap down. Instead I provide this entirely unrelated musical interlude:

(Still doomed.)

Reaction Score
Ditto @CL82. I won't vote as well. However, I want Paige and Azzi to be the best duo EVER. Is that asking for too much??

My daughter's 7th/ 8th grade AAU team played against Azzi's AAU team back in the summer of 2014. A 6th grader at the time, Azzi had an injured right arm, but she was warming up shooting jumpers with her left hand. :eek: Needless to say, they shellacked us by 30+ without her. Terrified to this day to think about what would have happened, if she played. :rolleyes: I've seen her run the point as a 5th grader back in 2013 with only a seven player AAU team and she was giving other teams the business. I didn't know her at the time, but #35 with the power braids stuck out like a "golden" thumb.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
By your metric, it is hard (for me) to imagine either Paige and Azzi not being AA from their respective Sophomore to Senior Years so for their 3 overlapping years, they get 15AA out of total of 18 available or 83%

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I like to enjoy my heroines for who they are when they are and not pit them against each other. That said, no doubt what's coming is going to be very sweet, and I'm not just talking Azzi and Paige.

Reaction Score
Only one of those combinations was two guards, namely Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi, and that is the most relevant comparison. They didn't play enough together for the AA measuring stick together to be a fair comparison, but that duo was great, certainly in the discussion for best ever as potentially could be Paige and Azzi, but time will tell.

Reaction Score
Always fun to predict the success of the young pups, but I believe there have been zero former Huskies with the demonstrated overall high school skill set of either Paige or Azzi. That includes Maya, Diana, and Sue. Stewart would be the only one close, and very close! Remember, I'm talking High School performance, not what they will be as college players.

Reaction Score
I voted but really have no clue. I expect they'll both be really good and we'll see what happens.

Both have gotten more hype than I remember of other high school players of the year that played for UConn, with the possible exception of Stewie and D. This may be because media, including social media, has more to say about women's basketball than it used to, or it may be I just don't remember it. I know that Stewie and D were regarded as generational type talents that were expected to be impact players from day one.

How Paige and Azzi's freshman years will compare to the other UConn HS POY's remains to be seen. We've had 8 of them, which is amazing. Just looking at freshman season average points, this is how they did;

1998 - Tamika Williams 13.5
2000 - D 10.9
2002 - Anne Strother 10
2007 Maya 17.8
2011 KM-L 15
2012 Stewie 13.8
2015 KLS 11
2017 Megan 5.8
2018 Christyn 11.7

I just used Wiki as my source, which didn't give game start numbers except for D (14 of 33), Megan (no starts) and Christyn ( started every game).

The team is too loaded for Paige or Azzi to challenge Maya as a scorer as a freshman but low teens should be very doable.

Reaction Score
at just about any other program they'd most likely be voted number one in a heartbeat.................just impossible to do that at UConn such is the wealth of past talents............that said, number one is certainly not out of the question.........

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Although neither Paige or Azzi have played a game for UConn yet, they are popular topics of discussion. It got me wondering exactly how high those expectations have been set.

When all is said and done after their careers are over where do you project the duo of Paige & Azzi will rank in comparison to the previous UConn duos listed in the table below?
Paige and Nika will be the 2nd best duo.

Reaction Score
Only one of those combinations was two guards, namely Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi, and that is the most relevant comparison. They didn't play enough together for the AA measuring stick together to be a fair comparison, but that duo was great, certainly in the discussion for best ever as potentially could be Paige and Azzi, but time will tell.
I rewatched the 2002 NC game against Oklahoma recently. As a duo Sue and DT did not make a single 3 nor did the team. However at the end of the game in the most critical possession it was DT who backed her defender down, forced Stacy Dales to provide help defense, made the jumper and 3 point play and fouled Dales out. It was Bird, everyone's National Player of the Year who controlled the game and made big plays and foul shots at the end despite the shooting woes. This game, in which Swin was magnificent, was very far from one of this duo's best but they still were the reason we put it away in the last 2 minutes. They are the measuring stick right now, no one else, as the greatest women's backcourt of all time and the only true comparison and not by awards alone. Yes, time will tell but I have never ever seen a shooter in the women's game like Azzi and she is still in high school.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
:cool:
At this point I think the word I want is arbitrary. This is an exercise that could apply to multiple combinations of 2's and a few combinations of the "Big Three" for years to come. The potential is off the chart.

However. . .
No body's done _______ yet.
Just Say-N :)

Reaction Score
Yes, they are the measuring stick. Sort of like a backcourt version of a "Hartley Unit".

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I voted 2nd best. Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are the greatest duos hands down. I DON'T see anyone coming close to what they have done, and still doing with the U.S.A. Women basketball team.

Reaction Score
I voted top 3 because they’re friends and they’re both really talented. I guess I’d want to see a compilation (when they’re done) of stats, awards, and wins (especially national championships) and compare that to those of the other duos to decide since stats are more concrete than nostalgic memories of past UConn duos or limiting the criteria to points scored or awards.

Reaction Score

View attachment 61465

Note: My original criteria was 3 seasons played together but thought I should include DT somehow to avoid complaints.
Great chart, you put some time into it.

Could you please add another column for National Championships? Individual awards are great, but....

The goal should be to win 39-40 games.

Shorty Dee

Number 1 UConn fan
Reaction Score
I voted 2nd best. Sue Bird and Diana Taurasi are the greatest duos hands down. I DON'T see anyone coming close to what they have done, and still doing with the U.S.A. Women basketball team.

Oops...I voted top 3 :).

Reaction Score
at just about any other program they'd most likely be voted number one in a heartbeat.................just impossible to do that at UConn such is the wealth of past talents............that said, number one is certainly not out of the question.........
UConn was pretty deep when Stewie came in, yet when things really mattered she was clearly the best player on the team, even though KML averaged more points per game, I think Stewie was still the better player. I expected the same out of Lou, then I expected the same thing from Walker, then I expected the same thing from Williams. Williams still has a chance but she seems to defer to her teammates in bigger games. I think Paige and Azzi will be the best #1 recruits UConn has gotten since Stewie.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

View attachment 61465

Azzi and Paige are two "exceptional" players Their skills and BB IQ ARE NOT going to diminish over the next 4 years. They will get better and improve as they matriculate through the program. They will be playing against some of the same elite players they played against in AAU competition, so they won't be in over their heads. The fun starts when the college game slows down for them, they learn the system, and they KNOW what they're doing.

IF they can stay on the same talent and skill trajectory they're on now, I see no reason why they can't carve out a legacy of their own that can stand along side the greats in UConn lore. We'll have to wait until season's end to intelligently evaluate Paige's freshman year. We can project the next 3 years from there. The same for Azzi. If they're good today, they should be even better tomorrow. I don't think we have to be concerned about those two.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We're getting way ahead of ourselves. Fudd just had serious injuries to her knee. Let the kids play and then after all is said and done, then carry on with whatever rankings you guys come up with.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom