How Far Will UConn's Defense Take Them? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How Far Will UConn's Defense Take Them?

Reaction Score
A problem on defense for UCONN that is not new this year, is the inability to defend against three point shots early in the game. I have seen many games begin with opponents driving to the basket and kicking out to wide open three point shooters. If opponents have hot 3 point shooters, it can mean a deficit right away. Later in games, UCONN seems to adjust, but a hand in the face of the shooter in the first quarter might save a lot of trouble.

Reaction Score
You need both. Offense and defense.

Olddude made a comment I put in bold::

". . . chucking up ill-advised shots and then fouling Baylor players and sending them to the line.. ."

Just as an example: Without a good offense they are ultimately going to take bad shots. And with bad shots the next step follows that you are at the mercy of a good team's fastbreak offense.

One without the other is a recipe for disaster. It's that simple.

Reaction Score
Carnac, just one small correction on the "in our house" statement, the Baylor game was at the XL Center. You are correct in them not being intimidated in the playing on our home court. Although I have never understood why UConn plays half of their home games in the XL Center. Maybe two or three a year with the rest at Gampel, it is a college game and the college students should have the right to see their team in Gampel.
Thank you for that thought MSGRET. I love going to a game at Gampel. The atmosphere is electric and the student body really gets into it and brings a lot more energy. Going to a game at the XL center is a nightmare. The traffic is congested, they should be wearing ski masks at the parking lots, and, the layout of the center was designed by someone who went off their meds, Rush, rush, rush.

Reaction Score
..Yes, a few teams are “slightly “ more talented than we are. There is no shame in that. The difference is they play like it, and didn’t shrink under the bright lights in a mega game against us. UConn was the biggest game on their schedule this year.
I really doubt Oregon thought Uconn was the biggest game on their schedule. Perhaps if your conference does not have any other teams that can to challenge you. In years past perhaps, but this year Uconn was never that much of a threat to teams like Oregon. I suppose some might need to believe that those teams gave their best super efforts against Uconn to help justify the outcomes.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I really doubt Oregon thought Uconn was the biggest game on their schedule. Perhaps if your conference does not have any other teams that can to challenge you. In years past perhaps, but this year Uconn was never that much of a threat to teams like Oregon. I suppose some might need to believe that those teams gave their best super efforts against Uconn to help justify the outcomes.

Don’t forget at one point in the season, UConn was ranked 1. I’m not sure if Oregon played another team that had that ranking this year. During the time UConn enjoyed that distinction, I would think all teams left on their remaining schedule thought so.

Admittedly, this year’s team has lost some of its normal “bite”. In the past 10 years, UConn on your schedule was your biggest game, especially during the Breanna Stewart era.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. UConn is still the benchmark by which all other WBB programs measure themselves, and the seniors on OR, Ionescu and Hebard, were on a personal mission to expunge the embarrassing 38 pt loss to the Huskies in the Elite 8 game in 2017.

If you watched the Ducks celebrate at the end of the game in Storrs, or listened to their postgame remarks, it was pretty clear the win over the Huskies was a really big deal for OR.

Reaction Score
I respectfully disagree. UConn is still the benchmark by which all other WBB programs measure themselves, and the seniors on OR, Ionescu and Hebard, were on a personal mission to expunge the embarrassing 38 pt loss to the Huskies in the Elite 8 game in 2017.

If you watched the Ducks celebrate at the end of the game in Storrs, or listened to their postgame remarks, it was pretty clear the win over the Huskies was a really big deal for OR.
Beating UConn was one of Sabrina's 3 goals for taking care of her 'unfinished business'.

Reaction Score

They also had been stomped by UConn in the elite 8 Three years ago. Exactly like Miss State when they beat UConn in the semis.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Carnac, just one small correction on the "in our house" statement, the Baylor game was at the XL Center. You are correct in them not being intimidated in the playing on our home court.
Sue Bird said, " The XL Center has a little piece of my heart. … XL Center marked a big game for us."

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
They also had been stomped by UConn in the elite 8 Three years ago. Exactly like Miss State when they beat UConn in the semis.
I think we’re referring to the same game in 2017. MS St was hammered in the 2016 game against Stewie and company in the famous, “piranhas on a roast” game in Bridgeport. A year later the Bulldogs earned some measure of revenge in the national semifinals in OT, against a good UConn team, although the Big 3 had all graduated.

Last edited:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It seems to me that the kids are really in there heads on the offensive end of the floor.
Oddly, that gives me some hope. The light bulb could go off any game now. I still think UConn has potential to get the O going with Makurat being the key.

Reaction Score
I think that the original question was: How far will the Defense take them? My lowly opinion is: safely through the AAC including the AAC tournament and the the first two game of the NCAA tournament; maybe 3. After that, they are going to meet severe competition who play defense and can score.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom