How far have they fallen? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How far have they fallen?

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
LOL. UT has two quality players [Collier and Taylor] and Collier will be going pro after this season. It will take Schaefer a minimum of 2 more recruiting classes [and likely 3] to compete for a Big XII championship. Aston proudly proclaimed that she was the new sheriff in town also........guess how that proclamation played out.

As an aside, wondering which AAU programs in Texas you expect UT to start mining for talent. Other than CyFair, Horns have little current traction in recruiting.

Agreed that Schaefer will need at least two more recruiting classes to get HIS players in place for what I perceive as a "sustained" run in the BIG 12. Up to now, Mulkey has had her pick of the liter in Texas. Those days are gone. Baylor will still be a drawn, but so will Texas. I say he's off to a good start. Baylor is down. This year's team will not be as dominate as those of year's past. They have 6'5" freshman Hannah Gusters as their tallest post player. Can she carry the team on her shoulders all year? I don't think so. She's got a lot to learn, and a lot of adjustments to make, and she better not get hurt. Junior Queen Egbo is her backup at 6'3". Big difference from last year. I said that Vic is the new sheriff in town because I believe that transition has already begun. Mulkey is not clueless, she sees the landscape changing. She saw the moving vans go by. :oops:

Whether Collier leaves as you predict (I'll believe it when it happens) or not, someone will take her place. You said: "Collier will be going pro after this season". That to me is a statement of FACT. How do you know she will leave? Do you have personal knowledge of that? Are you suggesting that Collier is the last BIG that Vic will ever have in his program? Vic has no problem attracting BIGS! To compare Aston and Schaefer as you did is not relevant. They are two totally different coaches with different appeal and approaches. Schaefer recruits from all across the country, not just in Texas. He was able to attract some very highly talented players to Starkville. Texas is a much higher profile program. He certainly won't have a problem attracting talent there.

I obviously like Schaefer more that you do. Your take is noted. Right now, all either of us can do is give this "lip service". Time will tell which one of us is right. Let's see how they do against each other in their two meetings this season. This team is basically a team of players he inherited except for the players he was able to recruit at the last minute, and the transfers he was able to get. Let's see what this Texas team looks like in two years when most of the players on this team will be HIS recruits. Let's see where they and Baylor are in the national standings.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I watched part of that game. The camera panned over to show Muffet and her husband in the stands. The action in this game was as "lackluster" as was the South Carolina game. ND head coach Niele Ivey has a lot of work to do. ND looked very "average" and pedestrian yesterday. I believe MM saw the writing on the wall, and did not want to endure another season like last year.

Kenny Rodgers' song, "The Gambler" was a perfect fit for Muffet's dilemma last year............."You've got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run". Muffet knew!!! She bailed out. The South Carolina team we saw yesterday didn't look anything like the one we saw last year. Boston never showed up, and like another poster noted, looked gassed at times.

One their worst day, I can't see UConn looking as bad as these two did yesterday. Too much talent, energy and fire power from the starting 5, plus more energy waiting to come in on the bench. With number one South Carolina going down in flames, who is going to be the new number one team next week?
New head coach, Covid practice restrictions… I wouldn’t count the Irish out quite yet

Reaction Score
Your statements prove how little you know on this topic.

Egbo is the starter [not the backup]. Gusters is the backup [not the starter].
Everyone in the Texas AAU sphere of discussion knows Collier is going Pro after this year. Every. single. person. She/family has been very clear on this point.

“Mulkey has had her pick of the [litter] in Texas. Those days are gone.” Your exact words.
Please tell us the AAU programs in Texas that Schaefer will be able to mine for talent. Will sit back and wait for your highly informed opinion.

Baylor has deep ties with the five major AAU programs and deep ties with the 8 second tier AAU programs in Texas. Please tell us which programs that Schaefer has links into?

Carnac

Reaction Score
Your statements prove how little you know on this topic.

Egbo is the starter [not the backup]. Gusters is the backup [not the starter].
Everyone in the Texas AAU sphere of discussion knows Collier is going Pro after this year. Every. single. person. She/family has been very clear on this point.

“Mulkey has had her pick of the [litter] in Texas. Those days are gone.” Your exact words.
Please tell us the AAU programs in Texas that Schaefer will be able to mine for talent. Will sit back and wait for your highly informed opinion.

Baylor has deep ties with the five major AAU programs and deep ties with the 8 second tier AAU programs in Texas. Please tell us which programs that Schaefer has links into?

I'm not going back and forth with you on this. It's not that important to me. I stated my opinion and I stand by it. If you disagree that's fine. Time will tell. You ask me to provide you with sources of information while you provide none. We're not going to convince each other of anything.

Carnac

Reaction Score
New head coach, Covid practice restrictions… I wouldn’t count the Irish out quite yet

I've said in past comments that Ivey will return the Irish to prominence, but it will take 2-3 years. It's not going to happen THIS year. All any of us can do is go by what we see. I was not impressed by what I saw from ND (1-2) in their first 3 games. They should win today against IUPUI (2-0), a mid-major program. If they fall to the Jaguars, I'd be concerned if I was an Irish fan. If things change, so will my opinion.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I'm not going back and forth with you on this. It's not that important to me. I stated my opinion and I stand by it. If you disagree that's fine. Time will tell. You ask me to provide you with sources of information while you provide none. We're not going to convince each other of anything.

Didn’t ask for any source. Asked for specifics to support your general assertion.

You deflected. As lawyers say, “when you have the law pound the law, when you have facts pound the facts, when you have neither pound the table”. In response to simple questions, you pounded the table.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Didn’t ask for any source. Asked for specifics to support your general assertion.

You deflected. As lawyers say, “when you have the law pound the law, when you have facts pound the facts, when you have neither pound the table”. In response to simple questions, you pounded the table.

As I said, we're not going to convince each other of anything. I'm not trying to convince you of anything. I stated an opinion. You have your opinion and I have mine. I'm not a Baylor fan, but I do have an opinion of their program. Time will bear one of us out. I'll leave it here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I don't know about that, IUPUI has soundly beaten two teams that are about the same level as Ohio and Miami-Ohio. ND seems to be slow and not as crisp in running plays like they did over the past. They appear to be worse than last years team at the moment.

I still think that ND will be okay. Worse than last years squad? Nah. They will develop a flow once players understand their roles within the squad. I see a lot of forced shots. But that happens with every team. Players not understanding their role within the offense. ND will adjust and make some nice improvements.

Reaction Score
Heck we posting about how the ND women's basketball program has fallen off...why nobody talking about that Oklahoma WBB program? Now they have fallen off!! Wow!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom