How far have they fallen? | The Boneyard

How far have they fallen?

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It was not until this morning that I realized that ND WBB played a game in South Bend yesterday which they lost by 10 to Michigan. I assume it was on tv somewhere, while we were all watching NC St vs SC. ND has again been hit by the injury bug. Senior RS center Vaughn is out as is prized freshman Marshall. SB was back from her injury last night. She took all 6 of her shots from the arc making 2, finishing with 6 points, 2 rbs, 2 to’s while fouling out.

There was no mention of the ND game on the UConn or General Women’s Boards. How things have changed from when BY’ers rooted first for our beloved Huskies and secondly for whoever was playing ND. Perhaps it’s because the Irish are not on the schedule this season. Perhaps it’s because they are no longer ranked. Maybe it’s because MM has retired. Whatever the reason, my sense is that we are reaching the end of a traditional rivalry that used to galvanize the emotions of both UConn and ND fans.

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It was not until this morning that I realized that ND WBB played a game in South Bend yesterday which they lost by 10 to Michigan. I assume it was on tv somewhere, while we were all watching NC St vs SC. ND has again been hit by the injury bug. Senior RS center Vaughn is out as is prized freshman Marshall. SB was back from her injury last night. She took all 6 of her shots from the arc making 2, finishing with 6 points, 2 rbs, 2 to’s while fouling out.

There was no mention of the ND game on the UConn or General Women’s Boards. How things have changed from when BY’ers rooted first for our beloved Huskies and secondly for whoever was playing ND. Things have certainly changed. Perhaps it’s because the Irish are not on the schedule this season. Perhaps it’s because they are no longer ranked. Maybe it’s because MM has retired. Whatever the reason, my sense is that we are reaching the end of a traditional rivalry that used to galvanize the emotions of both UConn and ND fans.

I watched part of that game. The camera panned over to show Muffet and her husband in the stands. The action in this game was as "lackluster" as was the South Carolina game. ND head coach Niele Ivey has a lot of work to do. ND looked very "average" and pedestrian yesterday. I believe MM saw the writing on the wall, and did not want to endure another season like last year.

Kenny Rodgers' song, "The Gambler" was a perfect fit for Muffet's dilemma last year............."You've got to know when to hold'em, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away and know when to run". Muffet knew!!! She bailed out. The South Carolina team we saw yesterday didn't look anything like the one we saw last year. Boston never showed up, and like another poster noted, looked gassed at times.

One their worst day, I can't see UConn looking as bad as these two did yesterday. Too much talent, energy and fire power from the starting 5, plus more energy waiting to come in on the bench. With number one South Carolina going down in flames, who is going to be the new number one team next week?

Last edited:
Reaction Score

There was no mention of the ND game on the UConn or General Women’s Boards. How things have changed from when BY’ers rooted first for our beloved Huskies and secondly for whoever was playing ND. Things have certainly changed. Perhaps it’s because the Irish are not on the schedule this season. Perhaps it’s because they are no longer ranked. Maybe it’s because MM has retired. Whatever the reason, my sense is that we are reaching the end of a traditional rivalry that used to galvanize the emotions of both UConn and ND fans.
No, I still hate them. There just isn't that much to talk about nowadays. Enjoyed watching them go down to Michigan. Did not enjoy halftime interview with Muffet, still sporting her creepy animal prints (and her commentary made no sense to me - "[ND] has to rebound better because they only have one more rebound than Michigan," etc.). Dara Mabrey has that same "Mabrey sneer" that Marina had - easy not to like.

Slightly O.T.: Really hoping for a Clemson beat-down of ND in their probable ACC football championship game rematch. Something like a 4 touchdown margin, or at least enough of a lopsided game to knock ND out of contention for the 4-team playoff.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There is a tipping point that ND has to be aware of and that is that several years of mediocrity can translate into a long term decline in recruiting. ND is not there yet, and the University has a lot going for it, but you only need look at the decline of TN as a National/SEC power to understand the potential for ND to fall behind Louisville, possibly a resurgent Duke under Kara Lawson and perhaps other ACC schools.

Carnac

Reaction Score
There is a tipping point that ND has to be aware of and that is that several years of mediocrity can translate into a long term decline in recruiting. ND is not there yet, and the University has a lot going for it, but you only need look at the decline of TN as a National/SEC power to understand the potential for ND to fall behind Louisville, possibly a resurgent Duke under Kara Lawson and perhaps other ACC schools.

An excellent observation OD. Another example of a program on the come, and rebounding after several years of decline is TEXAS. Vic did an excellent job over the summer of doing some last minute recruiting. My sources say that Vic Schaefer and Texas is poised to give Baylor and the rest of the BIG 12 programs all they want THIS YEAR!!!

Move over Kim Mulkey. Your dominance of the BIG 12 is coming to an end. Vic Schaefer is the new Sheriff in town, and it appears that Charli Collier and the rest of her teammates are ready to back his play. :eek: While it's true that mid-major North Texas (C-USA) has never been perceived as a juggernaut, still Collier's 44 point - 16 rebound performance against them cannot be minimized.

I would guess that 97% of all female WCBB players go their entire college career and never score 40+ points in a game. Collier did that in 34 minutes shooting 82% (14/17) from the field and 14/15 from the line.

Tip in - Who was the last UConn woman to score 40+ points in a game? :eek: Do you know?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
An excellent observation OD. Another example of a program on the come, and rebounding after several years of decline is TEXAS. Vic did an excellent job over the summer of doing some last minute recruiting. My sources say that Vic Schaefer and Texas is poised to give Baylor and the rest of the BIG 12 programs all they want THIS YEAR!!!

Move over Kim Mulkey. Your dominance of the BIG 12 is over. Vic Schaefer is the new Sheriff in town, and it appears that Charli Collier is ready to back his play. :eek:
And Celeste Taylor [from my neck o' the woods] is contributing mightily albeit under the radar..

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score

Move over Kim Mulkey. Your dominance of the BIG 12 is over. Vic Schaefer is the new Sheriff in town, and it appears that Charli Collier is ready to back his play. :eek:
For many years we've watched Karen Aston field very good TX teams that just couldn't get by Baylor. Under Vic, this could be the year.

Reaction Score
I will say Westbeld looked good. Mabrey is Mabrey. To me, SB looks out of shape, which is to be expected as she has been rehabbing from injury. The rest of the group didn't impress.

a bunch of players just coming back from injuries was one reason for their lackluster play but it was easy to see that this is one of the slowest and least athletic ND teams I've seen in years............they'll get some much needed talent in the back court next season......

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Yes, they are slow. However, they are not alone. Most of the teams I have watched are slow. ND will get better after they get all their players back and as Charliebball said, they have some highly rated guards coming in next season. SB looks definitely out of shape. Speaking of shape, if anyone watched Arkansas last night, they saw Dungee lost most of the weight she had last season and looks as thin as she did her sophomore season. She's quicker too.

Reaction Score
RE: Notre Dame; the best way to hate them is to completely ignore them..crying babies eventually stop crying when you ignore them. I think Maya was the last to score 40 or maybe it was Tiffany Hayes....

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I too was surprised that the Michigan/ ND game was not mentioned on the Yard. Watch a lot of the game while flipping to the UConn men's game.

This is definitely not the ND of old. Two things that stood out were ND's lack of foot speed and their lack of offensive flow. Brunelle had her first game back from rehab which explains her play and eventual foul out. Little Mabrey was unimpressive. Westbeld looked very good for a frosh under the boards. Surprising that ND only shot 55% from the free throw line. Very uncharacteristic.

Going to be another rough season for the ND faithful. Ivey's got a big job ahead of her.

Credit to KBA and her charges. Gusty, gritty group who do not give up. We'll see if they cam remain in the Top 25.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
And Celeste Taylor [from my neck o' the woods] is contributing mightily albeit under the radar..
I'm a big fan of Taylor. She's a scrapper, will do anything to win, and if there's a loose ball she's the first to hit the floor. My kinda player.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I too was surprised that the Michigan/ ND game was not mentioned on the Yard. Watch a lot of the game while flipping to the UConn men's game.

This is definitely not the ND of old. Two things that stood out were ND's lack of foot speed and their lack of offensive flow. Brunelle had her first game back from rehab which explains her play and eventual foul out. Little Mabrey was unimpressive. Westbeld looked very good for a frosh under the boards. Surprising that ND only shot 55% from the free throw line. Very uncharacteristic.

Going to be another rough season for the ND faithful. Ivey's got a big job ahead of her.

Credit to KBA and her charges. Gusty, gritty group who do not give up. We'll see if they cam remain in the Top 25.

They did not get their own thread but their was interest on the Games of week 2 thread

ND plays Michigan at 6:00pm on ACC network today...does anyone know what might be the latest word on ND players who are being isolated from the team due to Covid19?
ND defense showing up. I didn't know former Nebraska Huskers Leah Brown had transfered to Ann Arbor. Either the Michigan ranking was a tad optimistic or ND's season opening loss was a fluke.
Game is interesting. Pretty evenly matched.

49-46 Michigan 4' left in Q3

Reaction Score
Here’s a question: we all know ND will not win the college football championship. But would it be more fun to see them win the first of the two games just to see them thoroughly humiliated by Alabama, or just go down in flames right from the outset. After all, it’s not really ND we hate so much as their whiny and over-entitled fans. I’m sure ND can’t beat a healthy Clemson team, but I almost want their fans to become breathless with excitement, just about tasting it, before getting their hopes dashed. Two outcomes are certain: they will blame the refs, who are always against them, for their loss, and they’ll start talking about all the “thugs” on the team that blasts them. Fun to watch!

Reaction Score

Move over Kim Mulkey. Your dominance of the BIG 12 is coming to an end. Vic Schaefer is the new Sheriff in town, and it appears that Charli Collier and the rest of her teammates are ready to back his play. :eek: While it's true that mid-major North Texas (C-USA) has never been perceived as a juggernaut, still Collier's 44 point - 16 rebound performance against them cannot be minimized.

I would guess that 97% of all female WCBB players go their entire college career and never score 40+ points in a game. Collier did that in 34 minutes shooting 82% (14/17) from the field and 14/15 from the line.

Tip in - Who was the last UConn woman to score 40+ points in a game? :eek: Do you know?

I'll bite...believe it was Katie Lou...

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

KLS against USF in the AAC Championship game on 3/6/17. She shot 10 for 10 3 pointers and 2 for 4 2 pointers and 6 for 6 at the line in less than 28 minutes. If Geno had left her in for a couple of more minute she would have most likely passed Sales for the single game record of 47.

Carnac

Reaction Score
KLS against USF in the AAC Championship game on 3/6/17. She shot 10 for 10 3 pointers and 2 for 4 2 pointers and 6 for 6 at the line in less than 28 minutes. If Geno had left her in for a couple of more minute she would have most likely passed Sales for the single game record of 47.

Katie Lou Samuelson had a record-breaking night, scoring 40 points and hitting all 10 of her 3-point shots, to lead the No. 1 Connecticut women’s team (32-0) to an American Athletic Conference tournament title in a 100-44 rout of South Florida (24-8) in Uncasville, Conn. Samuelson set a Division I record for consecutive 3-pointers in a game and also set the tournament’s single-game scoring mark.

Not to split hairs Don, but Sales' single game record is 46 points, not 47.
sales sets big east mark with 46 as uconn beats stanford
Dec 22, 1997 — Nykesha Sales set a Big East record with 46 points Sunday to lead .UConn over Stanford.. Teammate Amber Hall scored 24 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Katie Lou Samuelson had a record-breaking night, scoring 40 points and hitting all 10 of her 3-point shots, to lead the No. 1 Connecticut women’s team (32-0) to an American Athletic Conference tournament title in a 100-44 rout of South Florida (24-8) in Uncasville, Conn. Samuelson set a Division I record for consecutive 3-pointers in a game and also set the tournament’s single-game scoring mark.

Not to split hairs Don, but Sales' single game record is 46 points, not 47.
sales sets big east mark with 46 as uconn beats stanford
Dec 22, 1997 — Nykesha Sales set a Big East record with 46 points Sunday to lead .UConn over Stanford.. Teammate Amber Hall scored 24 points and grabbed 13 rebounds.
Sorry I thought it was 47, should have done the proper research. Shame on me and thanks for the correction.:D

Reaction Score
Really? I don't think that the ND women's program has fallen off. Keep in mind they are a slow start from being 2-1 this season. Heck if some of the ND players could make shots, they would be 3-0. That Michigan game was pretty tight for a moment. Players are showing the effects of a limited preseason. Conditioning is down and it shows. ND plays IUPUI tomorrow. Pretty sure that we will see a better game tomorrow, if they are on any of the Sports Leaders expansive channels! UGH!!!

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Really? I don't think that the ND women's program has fallen off. Keep in mind they are a slow start from being 2-1 this season. Heck if some of the ND players could make shots, they would be 3-0. That Michigan game was pretty tight for a moment. Players are showing the effects of a limited preseason. Conditioning is down and it shows. ND plays IUPUI tomorrow. Pretty sure that we will see a better game tomorrow, if they are on any of the Sports Leaders expansive channels! UGH!!!
I don't know about that, IUPUI has soundly beaten two teams that are about the same level as Ohio and Miami-Ohio. ND seems to be slow and not as crisp in running plays like they did over the past. They appear to be worse than last years team at the moment.

Reaction Score

LOL. UT has two quality players [Collier and Taylor] and Collier will be going pro after this season. It will take Schaefer a minimum of 2 more recruiting classes [and likely 3] to compete for a Big XII championship. Aston proudly proclaimed that she was the new sheriff in town also........guess how that proclamation played out.

As an aside, wondering which AAU programs in Texas you expect UT to start mining for talent. Other than CyFair, Horns have little current traction in recruiting.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
ND has fallen off, they fell out of the top 25 preseason poll vs. being an annual top 5 program. However, just like Mark Twain, the rumors of their demise are greatly exaggerated. Charlie noted correctly and many agreed, injuries this year have taken a huge toll-so I say to their opponents, take that opportunity NOW and beat them as this program will bounce back into the top 25 before we know it. Maybe this year but definitely next year.

As far as Texas goes, let's throttle back the enthusiasm and expectation this year. They beat SMU, Univ.of North Texas and La Tech. Not exactly a murderers row of teams. How they do tomorrow vs. a good Texas A&M team will be a very good litmus test. Doubtful that they beat Baylor this year but that's why they play the games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom