how does UConn sports compete? | The Boneyard

how does UConn sports compete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
The reported TV money isn't even enough to pay for the coaching staff. These are truly grim times.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Hang on.

Here's the thing - the money absolutely blows, but it's only a $1.5M drop from where we are now and we have a bit pot of cash that will be distributed going forward.

We're not falling from where we are - the bills can still be paid - it's that we're simply not making what the other conferences will make.

What impact that will have, I dunno. We've always made less than almost everyone, and by a wide margin, and basically have been able to keep up.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
We can compete because we are still running other contracts that bring in revenue (SNY, IMG, Nike, etc.). Also, combined revenues are currently over 60 million for our athletic department even though we are currently under a 4 million dollar per year contract. We have many sources of revenue, not least of which is a state government that has shown itself willing to promote the well being of UConn and UConn Athletics.

But we are on the clock. We're on the clock as athletic teams. We're on the clock as fans. We have to all bring our "A" game over the next 6 years, so that either we transform this league into something that is worth much much more than 2 mil per year in 2019, or so that we transform ourselves into the most desirable property out there for a much better paying league...keep your hopes up...

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
It's a different world now.

UConn won't have to change much, this is similar to what they're used to working with. The difference comes when compared to the big conference teams, for hiring/keeping coaches, building facilities, etc. Too early to tell.

UConn's margin of error will be much slimmer on big projects, like a coaching staff.

Reaction Score
The reported TV money isn't even enough to pay for the coaching staff. These are truly grim times.

This is easy, raise tuition. 15,000 students times a $1,000 increase equals $15,000,000. I don't give a darn if they screw the students, just give me good football and basketball.

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
This is easy, raise tuition. 15,000 students times a $1,000 increase equals $15,000,000. I don't give a darn if they screw the students, just give me good football and basketball.

And when that happens, we can start taking bets on which professor heads the 'UConn 1000' campaign. Outright mutiny...

Reaction Score
And when that happens, we can start taking bets on which professor heads the 'UConn 1000' campaign. Outright mutiny...

None of the students will be forced to pay, they can transfer at will. The point is tuition will increase long before UCONN starts giving up on sports. Sports and Jim Calhoun made UCONN what it is today. Anyone who thinks the death of UCONN athletics is at hand is not smart enough for the school anyway. UCONN would still be on par with UMASS without its athletic success.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I THINK WE NEED TO PANIC THAT WILL SAVE EVERYTHING
I think we need to burn ESPN to the ground. Metaphorically speaking of course.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
With this TV contract, the smart thing to do would be to shut the football program down unless the school is willing to put political pressure on ESPN that it has shown absolutely no willingness to show in the past. UConn would make more money in the C7 than it would in the Big East. It is better off not playing football.

As an aside, there is very strong political opposition to the ESPN tax breaks simply on philosophical grounds. It would not take much to swing the state legislature against those tax breaks, and Connecticut has reneged on tax breaks in the past so don't think it won't do it again in the future. It is really just a question of will by Herbst, are is all this "support" of the athletic program simply a song and dance by her?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Shut it down. There is no coming back from this. Playing under this contract would be like an actress who does a little to pay the bills while she waits for her "break". Once you do , the "break" never comes.

zls44

Reaction Score
It was a brilliant late run by Nelson, but "Let's Shut the Football Program Down" was nipped by "Let's Raise Tuition $1,000" in the Dumbest duck*ing Idea Ever Derby.

Congrats to the winner.

I feel like Linford Christie in the 1996 Olympic 100M Final.

That's an obscure reference, but those of you who get it will appreciate it.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
There is zero, and I mean zero, political appetite to fund losses for a football program that no one gives a crap about. With the kind of losses that football is going to generate, Malloy's $2bn plan for UConn will be more DOA than it already is. If Herbst wants the legislature to approve a nickel of new spending, she better get the athletic program to permanent profitability, which is impossible in a conference that is playing for free.

The only way this works is if UConn starts selling road games to SEC schools. How many 45-3 beat downs by Alabama and LSU will it take before recruiting evaporates and 5k are showing up at the rent?

This current league is not financially viable for UConn. Unless Herbst has an ace up her sleeve, this is over. UConn has lost.

zls44

Reaction Score
This current league is not financially viable for UConn.

This would have been enough, but the greats show the commitment to overbearing zeal that we see displayed in the rest of your posts this evening.

I salute you, sir. May the tinfoil that layers your hat be a strong semiconductor for years to come.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
This would have been enough, but the greats show the commitment to overbearing zeal that we see displayed in the rest of your posts this evening.

I salute you, sir. May the tinfoil that layers your hat be a strong semiconductor for years to come.

The week when news breaks that UConn's athletic program is all but dead is probably not the best night to be trolling. I have invested a lot of time and money into the university and the athletic program, and watching the program die and the university take a major hit is not nearly as much fun for me as it clearly is for you.

It's not a freaking joke that ESPN destroyed UConn's athletic program. It is a proven fact, in which principals involved HAVE GONE ON THE RECORD.

Reaction Score
With this TV contract, the smart thing to do would be to shut the football program down unless the school is willing to put political pressure on ESPN that it has shown absolutely no willingness to show in the past. UConn would make more money in the C7 than it would in the Big East. It is better off not playing football.

As an aside, there is very strong political opposition to the ESPN tax breaks simply on philosophical grounds. It would not take much to swing the state legislature against those tax breaks, and Connecticut has reneged on tax breaks in the past so don't think it won't do it again in the future. It is really just a question of will by Herbst, are is all this "support" of the athletic program simply a song and dance by her?

Where is this "very strong political opposition to the ESPN tax breaks"? I have seen nothing concrete other than wishful thinking on the BY

Also don't forget that NBC Sports received over $35m in tax breaks to locate into the Governor's hometown.

zls44

Reaction Score
Also don't forget that NBC Sports received over $35m in tax breaks to locate into the Governor's hometown.

Which pays for the contract and then some.

Shoot, I need to start a TV network!

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Where is this "very strong political opposition to the ESPN tax breaks"? I have seen nothing concrete other than wishful thinking on the BY

The political opposition has nothing to do with UConn. It is an objection to paying over $1MM per job for Malloy's pet corporations when the state is running a massive budget deficit. Talk to anyone connected to Hartford and they will tell you that Malloy is way out over his skis on this issue. My point is that there is enough existing opposition to these tax breaks in the state house that it would not take much to cause real problems for Malloy on this issue.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the contract does not have uconn or cincy in it. it also has no gor because usf, temple and memphis wont sign one. the gor would get it to about 30-33mil but it wont be signed. tulsa, marsh and udel are all in play.

Reaction Score
Fishy, can you save this thread and the shut it down thread?

Some of us realize, while there is only one set of foot steps in the sand, there is a power far greater than Nelson who will take us to the promise land.

When we get there we will need to present the 2 previous mentioned threads to this almighty being in order to keep the non believers in the heat.

Reaction Score
I get that this isn't a huge drop from where we were before, but or competitors, SU, RU, PITT, VILLE ETC. are all going to be playing with a huge cash influx advantage over us. We have a couple of years before we are at a huge financial disadvantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom