How does the timing of the investigation affect KO’s status | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How does the timing of the investigation affect KO’s status

Reaction Score
Ollie really is putting together one of the most complete resumes imaginable.

Championship, AAC tournament title, near-complete ruination of a basketball power and now potentially an NCAA case.

Guy is checking off every box he sees.

That deserves its own banner, because that is some accomplishment.

Reaction Score
Agreed, but smearing him is one thing. NCAA violations are a different can of worms. If he is found to have committed NCAA recruiting transgressions, you aren't smearing him. Those would be his responsibility to answer for.

Tbe OP brings up a valid and very important question. NCAA investigations typically take years, not months, and nobody at NCAA HQ is going to speed ours up just because we want to fire a coach without having to pay his buyout. If you assume the school decides to fire him at the end of this season, it's likely the investigation isn't going to be over by then. If you wait until it's over, you could be waiting another season or even two until you know the results. Obviously the school can't keep waiting to make the call if committed to firing him. You either pay the buyout or you end up in limbo for some indeterminable period of time while he's still your coach.

I dunno - maybe you can correct me on this - but I read that they've already conducted about 100 interviews so far so it sounds like this has been ongoing and going on for a while. Which is another can of worms I suppose, but my hope here is it's a molehill rather than a mountain and we get a speedy resolution. My fear is - it's been 100 interviews so far. That's not usually the type of thing that indicates a minor infraction.

Reaction Score
I really hope people don't decide to smear the guy on the way out the door because he can't win basketball games. By all accounts, he's a great guy. And while some of the RUMORS of his conduct aren't necessarily professional, I don't think there's anything that says he's a bad human.

Even in the event they fire him for cause - that's obviously on him. And I suspect - again not based in fact but in a general pooling of things I've heard/observed over the years - that he likely would have this happen and not be privvy to it. He seems like a straight arrow, almost too straight for his own good. But he also doesn't seem to be a very conscientious manager and there's clearly issues of communication on multiple levels in the program between him, past coaches and players. So that's what i'd suspect/assume. He's still responsible - he's the head guy. But its not an implication on him as a person, but rather as a manager.

But if he DID know, man... what a killer.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I dunno - maybe you can correct me on this - but I read that they've already conducted about 100 interviews so far so it sounds like this has been ongoing and going on for a while. Which is another can of worms I suppose, but my hope here is it's a molehill rather than a mountain and we get a speedy resolution. My fear is - it's been 100 interviews so far. That's not usually the type of thing that indicates a minor infraction.

100 interviews, or 100 hours of interviews? I highly doubt there have been 100 people interviewed, or even 100 interviews without a few leaks along the way.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
100 interviews, or 100 hours of interviews? I highly doubt there have been 100 people interviewed, or even 100 interviews without a few leaks along the way.
It's also nearly certain "100 hours" was an exaggeration. A throwaway line to put a cherry on top of the dramatic sundae.

Reaction Score
Is it possible to fire KO and hold payment until “just cause” is determined? The school and KO know what did or didn’t happen. If it was something KO was guilty of then K O won’t oppose the non payment. The school knows whether they will be on the hook or not.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I once had a job where everyone was there for 3-4 years. We had a running joke of everyone does one of four things while doing the job. 1. Get married, 2. buy a truck, 3. have a kid, 4. get divorced. Accomplish all 4 within that time and it was called a grand slam. Ollie is on a similar path of greatness.
Know I g the part of the country you live in I'd wager that the great majority completed it in this order:

Buy a truck
Have a kid
Get married
Get divorced.

I'd also guess that the time from item to item gets considerably shorty as they progress from truck to God to marriage to divorce.

Reaction Score
Timing is fishy imo, as if it is done at a moment when it will be hard to find a replacement no matter what.

Reaction Score
Is it possible to fire KO and hold payment until “just cause” is determined? The school and KO know what did or didn’t happen. If it was something KO was guilty of then K O won’t oppose the non payment. The school knows whether they will be on the hook or not.

Sounds like the makings of a deal where KO takes a modest lump sum and just goes. I think the university holds the cards here. They could fire Ollie "with cause" and just bet that an NCAA ruling comes before the resolution of any Ollie lawsuit. I think KO might jump at the chance to get out of the morass with a million or two in hand.

Reaction Score
It's also nearly certain "100 hours" was an exaggeration. A throwaway line to put a cherry on top of the dramatic sundae.
Thing that bothers me most is this info is leaked and the horrible press takes full advantage of a frontal attack in ignorance.,on the University which under penalty of sanctions is not allowed to say anything.
Typical of the evil use of a fake news media.
Who leaked ?
If it was the NCAA than any gag order is certainly questionable.
They violated their own rule .
If it was University sources useing the media than anyone who doesn’t suspect bad intent like a get KO vendetta to save a few bucks is extremely naive.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If KO is replaced for performance or actual cause that's one thing. But smearing him on the way out the door to try to save money would be a huge mistake in terms of future hires and just respect. We don't want to go down that road.
I would imagine it would be more of a quiet conversation and reasonable settlement.

Reaction Score
If we are cheating to get 2-3 star players, we get what we deserve from the NCAA. If we are cheating, which I doubt that we are, at least cheat to land a 5 star stud with some game.
It is more likely that we are being investigated for violations for players we didn't get.
If it is about payments that is one thing and the school would fire KO. If the alleged violations are for an assistant's phone calls or something minor UConn may not have cause for firing KO. This is about UConn so expect the severest NCAA penalties as possible.
I'm wondering if Nike is involved but right now it is all speculation.

Reaction Score
How is it possible for a team’s recruiting staff to not know the rules when the team was so recently punished? It’s hard to fathom.

Reaction Score
The Courant got their story from a disgruntled idiot named Jacobs who may be just grabbing at straws
Is that what Benedict said in the Athletic Dept management meeting you attended on Friday?
If KO is not here next year that's fine but he doesn't need to be pushed out the door by the disgruntled who claim to know all this insider crap
UConn has been on notice and communicating with the NCAA for awhile per the athletic department. All Jacobs did was his job and reported it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom