How Does The Ncaa Figure The Apr? | The Boneyard

How Does The Ncaa Figure The Apr?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How is the APR determined?
Can we add some walk-ons to the squad that will get good grades?
How does Kentucky, the king of 1 and done, have an acceptable APR?

Any help on these questions would be appreciated.

Reaction Score
Id like to know too. Why is Uconn punished because a player transfers or goes pro?

Reaction Score
You only lose credit for transfers or early NBA entrants if those players are not in good academic standing. It's easier for NBA entrants - we did not lose credit for Kemba because he was in good standing academically. For transfers it's more stringent - i.e. in order to not lose a point, they need to transfer to another 4 year school (Darius Smith went to a 2 year school), they need to have at least a 2.6 gpa (I'm sure at least a couple of our recent transfers did not), etc.

caw

Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong:

APR is calculated for each semester based on the players on scholarship.
  • The school can get 2 points per player per semester.
  • School loses a point if a) player is not retained for the following semester or b) if player is not in good academic standing (on pace to graduate).
  • If player is not retained due to graduation the school does not lose a point
  • If a player is not retained but transfers to another 4-year D1 (?) school on athletic scholarship and in good academic standing, an appeal/waiver can be filed and a point can be retained. However, if the player transfers to a 2 year school, or is not on athletic scholarship or is not academically fit the point is lost.
So if you have 13 players on scholarship (max) then you can get 52 points. Say you lose one to transfer to a D-2 school, but he is on pace to graduate and everyone else comes back/graduates and is academically OK. You lose 1 point. So you have 51/52*1000 = 980 (rounded).

I am not sure if the multi-year score is a straight average or a weighted average.

caw

Reaction Score
So for this past year, assuming Beverly, Okuandu graduated both get 2 points, Kemba graduated as well and gets 2 points. All the freshman (now sophs) and Alex get 1 point for coming back and 1 if academically set (on pace to graduate). Jamal Coombs-McDaniel loses a point by transferring but this can be given back to UConn if Jamal Coombs-McDaniel fulfills the requirements of a transfer and UConn files the appeal. If Jamal Coombs-McDaniel was in good academic standing he also gets UConn that point.

At this point it appears UConn is getting a score of roughly 975 which means someone wasn't on pace to graduate or they aren't calculating Jamal Coombs-McDaniel's lost point (due to transfer) being retained.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Correct me if I am wrong:

Correct.

There are two waivers. Career (NBA ) and Transfer (with a 2.6 average)
.The waiver removes the retention point from the calculation. They become 3/3 students. Their final Semester is adjusted to 1 for 1.

A regular transfer in good standing is a 1/2. A players leaving in bad standing is an 0-2

Reaction Score
They tally up what Uconn's APR will be and then make the benchmark 10 points higher. Then they repeat this each year.

The price you pay for two decades of dominance and 3 championships that the old guard never wanted you to have

Reaction Score
The price you pay for bringing in a number of players who probably didn't belong in college.

Reaction Score
Yes... well, the price you pay for not being smarter about hiding the fact that you brought in players who probably didn't belong in college (like every other major D1 school)

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
How the APR is currently calculated according to the NCAA:

Every is eligible. Except UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
They tally up what Uconn's APR will be and then make the benchmark 10 points higher. Then they repeat this each year.

The price you pay for two decades of dominance and 3 championships that the old guard never wanted you to have

Damn. You beat me to it.

caw

Reaction Score
The price you pay for bringing in a number of players who probably didn't belong in college.

I kind of disagree with this. Most of UConn's issues are not because kid's failed out, but bc they transferred due to Basketball (lack of PT), or decided not to keep their grades up in their final semester and graduate.

Nate Miles may have been a huge f'up but honestly if the 4th year kids graduating do so (like Jerome Dyson) and the kids transferring, transferred to other D1 programs (like Jamal Coombs-McDaniel), then UConn would be in much better shape to weather the issues with Miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom