How does the FBI investigation impact AAU? | The Boneyard

How does the FBI investigation impact AAU?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
We're all talking about Louisville and Pitino. Then the other heads will start rolling at individual universities. We may even see the NCAA itself come under scrutiny. No one has really had a chance to get to the real festering sore, the catalyst, if you will, of all this: AAU basketball. Who's watching it? Who's responsible for it? Who really controls it?

We all know the things the FBI investigation will bring to light have been going on for decades and the AAU is only the latest facilitator of the fraudulent activity but I wonder if the AAU will get ripped apart or some form of a regulated AAU will emerge.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
We're all talking about Louisville and Pitino. Then the other heads will start rolling at individual universities. We may even see the NCAA itself come under scrutiny. No one has really had a chance to get to the real festering sore, the catalyst, if you will, of all this: AAU basketball. Who's watching it? Who's responsible for it? Who really controls it?

We all know the things the FBI investigation will bring to light have been going on for decades and the AAU is only the latest facilitator of the fraudulent activity but I wonder if the AAU will get ripped apart or some form of a regulated AAU will emerge.

I don't know if AAU is any worse or better than the prep schools or any high school that recruits.

Reaction Score
Oh the AAU is a swamp into which untreated sewage flows on a daily basis in a chemical dump site. It should be blown up and if the shoe companies are forced out of the equation by this it will be at least set back significantly. Their tournament which used to be played in high school gyms in Jersey City and Somerville and Bakersfield now take place in Vegas and other hot spots. It is really the only sport that does that. And it's populated with far too many scum balls. If it could be blown up tomorrow it wouldn't be too soon.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
How though? AAU isn't affiliated with any governmental entity, so a lot of the tools that are being used to after coaches aren't available. I'd guess the weapon of choice would be tax evasion.

If you really want to blow it up, just have the NCAA say playing AAU disqualifies you from college eligibility. If (and that is a big if) they could make that stick, all they'd do is move the low lifes to a new organization.

For what it is worth, my kid played AAU ball. It's not all bad, though some of it definitely is.

Reaction Score
AAU basketball is great for the most part. It gives decent high school players a chance to play loosely against better competition, thus making them more confident in their abilities. Most teams are funded by the players parents and fundraising. Some programs actually have very good coaches...some have idiots coaching. It isn't hard to figure out after you watch a game or 2. In New England there are only 6 teams sponsored by shoe companies. CBC, NE Playaz, Mass Rivals, Expressions, BABC and I'm forgetting one. Most of the kids on those teams are playing their asses off to try to earn a D1 scholarship. Only a handful are talented enough to really draw any personal interest from shoe companies, and even then, there is no guarantee they end up at a college that is sponsored by the same shoe company that their aau team is affiliated with. For example, a few years ago Drummond and Kris Dunn played for CBC which back then was sponsored by Adidas (now it is with Under Armour). Both Drummond and Dunn ended up going to Nike universities anyway because of other factors (close to home, good relationships with coaches, etc) and didn't sign with Adidas when they made the NBA either. Do things like that piss off a company like Adidas? I'm not sure but I guess they want some return on their investment for paying for gear and flights for all of these AAU teams but regardless, there are only like 6 basketball players in the world that really have an effect on if a kid wants to buy a pair of Nike's or Adidas, but I guess it is all worth it if you land that very rare star.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
How though? AAU isn't affiliated with any governmental entity, so a lot of the tools that are being used to after coaches aren't available. I'd guess the weapon of choice would be tax evasion.

If you really want to blow it up, just have the NCAA say playing AAU disqualifies you from college eligibility. If (and that is a big if) they could make that stick, all they'd do is move the low lifes to a new organization.

For what it is worth, my kid played AAU ball. It's not all bad, though some of it definitely is.

For sure, the AAU itself isn't bad but there are obviously rogue components. And while the AAU does have an agent policy it does distance itself from members and clubs at the local level too. From the AAU codebook: http://image.aausports.org/codebook/national_policies.pdf

G. Sport Agents, Agencies and Representatives.

Any person who is a registered sports agent or a representative or employee of a sports agent

or agency, or any person who has received compensation or consideration of any kind directly

or indirectly from a sports agent or agency, is prohibited from involvement in the AAU

throughout the entire fiscal year (September 1 through August 31) during which any such

compensation or consideration is received except as specifically set out herein.

Violation of this policy may subject a club and/or athletes affiliated with the agent to penalties

set out in the Code.

An agent, employee or representative of an agent may apply in writing to the AAU for an

exception to this policy. If, in the sole discretion of the AAU, it is determined that the interests

NATIONAL POLICIES 45

of the AAU are best served, an exception may be granted. The exception may only be granted

by the Chairman of the Board of Review. The exception must be in writing and is subject to

reconsideration at any time and may be revoked by the Board of Review Chair at his sole

discretion.

H. Agency. Membership in the AAU does not create an agency relationship. The authority of

any member providing services to the AAU is limited to the terms of the agreement for

services. The AAU does not organize clubs, or teams, and does not select coaches or club

managers. Members shall not represent themselves to be agents of the AAU without specific

written authorization from the National AAU. Acts of an AAU member not related to a

licensed AAU event are not authorized by the AAU and therefore no agency relationship is

created thereby.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom