How does Rutgers outrecruit us? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How does Rutgers outrecruit us?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Here is one of if not the MAIN reason why RU out recruits us right now in NJ aside from them being good old home state U. When Scott Lakatos was here ( Edsall hured him from Rutgers) we had a good rep in NJ and beat RU for our fair share of recruits. When Lakatos left for Georgia and was replaced by Darrell Perkins we were pretty muched screwed in NJ. Top that with Schiano hiring Jeff Haffley after he was let go when Wanny staff at Pitt was purged after his firing (Cignetti too)...and bingo...perfect storm. DeLeone has a TON of contacts in NJ and hopefully they pay off in 2013 & 2014. It is time for Coach P to take a VERY HARD LOOK at this staff...and maybe it is time fir some if these guys to move on. Name 1 big recruit Cersosimo has landed since being named recievers coach. He should be point man in CT...his dad is a long time respected CT hs coach and grandfather was legendary. Name 1 big recruit Perkins has landed since he has been here. Wholley as well. It is time for P to put his own stamp on this program Asst coach wise. If he doesn't do it, and these guys continue to not deliver...it will all be a moot point when the new AD decides to move in another direction and they are all gone! I have been following BCS level football for 30 years....this is one of the first times I have EVER seen a coach leave for another job, and his old staff retained by the new head coach except for the coordinators.

Reaction Score
Eagleton makes on reasonalbe point here...I don't think most peole have any sense of just how enormous the budget for a place like Rutgers is. And how relatively minor the athletic department, and for that matter the State contribution is to that budget. I think $3 billlion is a bit high. If I remmeber it is closer to $2 billion, but I did look it up one time and it, like UCONN's is enormous. The other thing is that the state's share of those budgets has been consistently trending down. Again UCONN is similar though not as bad. For all the griping form "taxpayers" in New Jersey more than 80% of Rutgers annual operating budget comes from sources other than direct appropriations. It is really coming toward the day when calling these institutions state universities is somethig of a misnomer. States make at best a modest contribution toward their operations.

Reaction Score
Here is one of if not the MAIN reason why RU out recruits us right now in NJ aside from them being good old home state U. When Scott Lakatos was here ( Edsall hured him from Rutgers) we had a good rep in NJ and beat RU for our fair share of recruits. When Lakatos left for Georgia and was replaced by Darrell Perkins we were pretty muched screwed in NJ. Top that with Schiano hiring Jeff Haffley after he was let go when Wanny staff at Pitt was purged after his firing (Cignetti too)...and bingo...perfect storm. DeLeone has a TON of contacts in NJ and hopefully they pay off in 2013 & 2014. It is time for Coach P to take a VERY HARD LOOK at this staff...and maybe it is time fir some if these guys to move on. Name 1 big recruit Cersosimo has landed since being named recievers coach. He should be point man in CT...his dad is a long time respected CT hs coach and grandfather was legendary. Name 1 big recruit Perkins has landed since he has been here. Wholley as well. It is time for P to put his own stamp on this program Asst coach wise. If he doesn't do it, and these guys continue to not deliver...it will all be a moot point when the new AD decides to move in another direction and they are all gone! I have been following BCS level football for 30 years....this is one of the first times I have EVER seen a coach leave for another job, and his old staff retained by the new head coach except for the coordinators.
You couldn't be more spot on with this assessment of Cercosimo . I played for his dad & there is no doubt that he was retained by Coach P for political reasons in an attempt to win over the states recruiting crop. Should be interesting to see what he does w/ the most talented core of receivers Uconn has ever had coming in next season. God knows he had nothing to do with getting them here!

Reaction Score
I think FHCRE was just an awful recruiter (In terms of selling the program, opposed to finding quality players). Things have already gotten better and will go up from here on out.

Reaction Score
You couldn't be more spot on with this assessment of Cercosimo . I played for his dad & there is no doubt that he was retained by Coach P for political reasons in an attempt to win over the states recruiting crop. Should be interesting to see what he does w/ the most talented core of receivers Uconn has ever had coming in next season. God knows he had nothing to do with getting them here!
I find that funny Doggie...Cersosimo's father was very vocal about NOT being part kf the group that wrote the letter in support of Coach P getting the UConn job, as was Manchester HC. I see Cersosimo did a REAL bang up job keeping Ct kids home again this year. Cochran came to UConn because of P and DeLeone's past relationship with his father! It is beyond time for him to move on down the road in my opinion!

Reaction Score
There's a little city about 40 minutes north of their campus that young people really seem to like.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
I find that funny Doggie...Cersosimo's father was very vocal about NOT being part kf the group that wrote the letter in support of Coach P getting the UConn job, as was Manchester HC. I see Cersosimo did a REAL bang up job keeping Ct kids home again this year. Cochran came to UConn because of P and DeLeone's past relationship with his father! It is beyond time for him to move on down the road in my opinion!
interesting. the manchester coach wasn't in with the rest hugh? funny that his prized player is heading northeast.

Reaction Score
john, i think it's image as much as anything. RU is in the community, doing good deeds etc. So people feel part of the RU community long before they actually join the team. Once at UConn, a NJ kid may feel just as at home. But part of being the state school is that you have a broader service mission. People feel they are a stakeholder in the state U.

Add the top ranked APR and stuff like that...and an image get's made.

That's fine, but you can't say that it's an "advantage" Rutgers has over UConn. UConn recruits kids that are just as good as the ones at Rutgers. For a few years we graduated a higher percentage of our black players than any other school in the country.

And Rutgers may be going deeds in the community for their state, but it's not like UConn's not a state school with their players doing the same thing.

Reaction Score
Why?
Not the 53K stadium, doesnt look all that great with 20% empty seats.
APR is terrific and should be congratulated, ours have been fairly strong.
Family, many recruits at many schools cite this.
NFL potential, maybe.

Why?
Rutgers has a recruiting gold mine in their backyard. All NEast programs need to recruit well there to be successful.
Schiano is a good recruiter. Milked that 06 year for all that it was worth
Rutgers is a pretty good school.

Biggest reason, Edsall, went down hill in NJ following around the 05 or 06 class.
Something happened after that, dont know what. It wasnt Lakatos leaving, he left Jan 2010. Maybe the NJ HS coaches thought he was too much of a tight ass(the kids too) or didnt like him or his methods. Totally gave up in his last 3 classes, assigning his youngest, least experienced coach(Wholly) NJ as a recruiting territory. Edsall did not recruit NJ well this year too.
Think P is trying to re-establish UConn in NJ, he has three from NJ this year and has brought in a ton of NJ kids this past year for a look see.
We need an 11 win breakout year.

Reaction Score
mattp, so you are saying that Rutgers' 3 billion dollar budget, and NJ's 30 billion budget, are at risk due to Rutger's 100 million stadium expansion that is being paid out in bonds over 30 years?

obviously NJ's fiscal prblems run a lot deeper than Rutgers. i think the stadium expansion is a symptom more than the cause

Reaction Score
Because history matters more than you believe. First impressions are very lasting, and to many (not players but parents and coaches) RU was a place where future NFL players went long before UConn was. I do not believe that Esdall was/is a good recruiter, in terms of winning and losing head to head battles. But you are going to find out over time that the lack of a I-A history is not going to be totally overcome in a decade.

Or we can avoid getting bogged down with history and start selling the fact that it's a program (right now) where if you are good (really good, BCS caliber) the opportunity to get on the field quickly exists in an abundance that doesn't exist in other places. Besides, how much history does Oregon have that is relevant to today's kids. What good is history doing for Notre Dame when they still can't beat the best teams? Army's got a lot of history, so does Ole' Miss. Just play exciting football, get an coach that's a really good recruiter and stuff will begin sorting itself out - sooner rather than later.

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Carl, how many varsity sports does UConn field? The football team I think was 1 mil in the red last year, and was in the black the year before. The 18 mil is what the rest of the athletics department costs.

I think the only thing UConn has over RU is two BE championships. So kudos on that. But for facilities, coaching, player development, on field performance, the two programs generally stack up evenly. The three things RU has over UConn are:

1. We are the U of NJ, and NJ has more talent than Connecticut. This is a bid advantage and always will be.
2. Schiano - Great recruiter, and has stability. He's not leaving for another job. So despite all the attempts to portray RU as shaky, we are rock solid in terms of what kids want and will stay that way.
3. Taking care of the kids. RU has worked hard to make sure they take care of the kids. The APR is the highest among public schools. They don't get into trouble at the same rate as other schools. There is a strong community there. Parents feel safe sending their kids to RU and that makes a difference.

l m f a o

Reaction Score
Carl, how many varsity sports does UConn field? The football team I think was 1 mil in the red last year, and was in the black the year before. The 18 mil is what the rest of the athletics department costs.

I think the only thing UConn has over RU is two BE championships. So kudos on that. But for facilities, coaching, player development, on field performance, the two programs generally stack up evenly. The three things RU has over UConn are:

1. We are the U of NJ, and NJ has more talent than Connecticut. This is a bid advantage and always will be.
2. Schiano - Great recruiter, and has stability. He's not leaving for another job. So despite all the attempts to portray RU as shaky, we are rock solid in terms of what kids want and will stay that way.
3. Taking care of the kids. RU has worked hard to make sure they take care of the kids. The APR is the highest among public schools. They don't get into trouble at the same rate as other schools. There is a strong community there. Parents feel safe sending their kids to RU and that makes a difference.

bad

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
Holy irony Batman

Reaction Score

This is gold, man...ttt.

JaYnYcE

Soul Brother
Reaction Score
Schiano is a better recruiter than anyone we've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Snooki scorned & left at the altar (Week before National Signing Day). Oh, the irony. Why would ANY recruit sign a letter of intent with Rutgers under these circumstances? It's playing Russian roullette with one's athletic future. What if your skills don't fit the coaching philosophy of the new head coach once he's hired? It's terrible timing for the Scarlet.

Reaction Score
Schiano is a better recruiter than anyone we've ever had.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You have to admit, that about 24 hours after he posted that Schiano is gone. That in itself is pretty hilarious. Where is he now to give lectures on the stability at RU?

Reaction Score
The RU posters like that tiger only come around here when they have a meaningless thing to throw in our faces. If you are gonna be "that guy" at least come back for your medicine.

Reaction Score
The RU posters like that tiger only come around here when they have a meaningless thing to throw in our faces. If you are gonna be "that guy" at least come back for your medicine.

I'm right here TOP!

epark88

Throat's all better now, thanks for asking...
Reaction Score
I'm right here TOP!

Took ya long enough.

So, is Cristobol going to pull a PP and keep most of the assistants on board?...

Reaction Score
epark88 that decision by Coach P will eventually be his downfall.

Reaction Score
Took ya long enough.

So, is Cristobol going to pull a PP and keep most of the assistants on board?...

First of all, I'm not here to flame, and get into verbal sparring spats with anyone! That's numero uno. So i'm going to try to ignore anyone who tries to get me there.

And to answer your question, I haven't a clue, all I know is that Some of the list of candidates seem to be very strong, but it's not the strength that bothers me, it's the intelligence to hire a good person and face for the program. At this point, now at least, I know how PITT and you guys felt, especially you guys, when Edsall bolted the way he did, and the embarrassing dismissal of Wanny occurred. The most critical thing here is attempting to keep this class together for the most part.

I like Coach Cristobal a lot! But I like Coach Adazzio even more. Both resepcitve guys bring aces and trump cards to the table, but it's Coach Dazz, to me, that plays you under it! He's a NE guy, and he's tough, his team has played very good D, and Physical O. You could see this when he single handedly OUTCOACHED, practically, the entire Penn State staff this past season (JMO, because i think that Temple ran out of gas). They are in your face, and no matter who you are, they're going to make every attempt to RAM both feet down your throat. So it's pretty clear, if I were the AD, what I would make every attempt at doing. Plus, he ain't going t be at Temple for long, just for arguments sake.

Cristobal, well, he's a very sexy choice. Young, guy, and an up and comer. It's no secret the tremendous job he has done at FIU. Likes speed, he's from Miami, and comes from a tremendous pedigree, and is a proven winner. And yes I say winner, because before he got there, FIU, was less than nothing! He built that program brick by brick, and whatever body parts he could find left in the state of Fla, to field a nicely competitive team. Recall last year, his team beat up on aTm for over 3 quarters before running out of gas. So he's also a great choice for a hire.

Due to the gravity of the situation, Pernetti is playing this very close to the vest, so no one knows what he is doing. This is as CIA as it gets. All we know are the candidates, and the rumors of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom