How does Kemba's 2010-2011 sesaon rank among the all-time best? | The Boneyard

How does Kemba's 2010-2011 sesaon rank among the all-time best?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I was just thinking about this the other day as I was watching some of the Big East tournament games from last sesaon. You don't quite realize how much he carried the team on his back until you actually watch the games again. He wasn't just the best offensive player on the team, he was the best defensive player as well in my opinion. He got every loose ball, he got every rebound within his reach, and I can't tell you how many times he dived onto the floor. Statistically people will point to his low shooting percentages and the teams mediocre play during the Big East part of the schedule. But as far as I'm concerned you have to throw the stats out the window and just watch the games, look at the results, watch how every single game he played harder than everyone. Didn't matter if it was a 60-35 game against Harvard or a 60-60 game against Kentucky, he always had that look in his eye. So where does it rank? He took a group of unheralded freshman and led them not only to the National Championship, but he also guided the young freshman to a Big East tournament title, as well as the Maui Championship. Jay Bilas on the the UConn freshman: "They almost feel bad about it if they don't play just as hard". And that pretty much sums it up.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
His performance was really incredible. As you said, he not only scored points, he got the big rebounds when we had to have them, he split zone defenses single-handedly with the shot clock winding down, and he had amazing endurance. Throw in charismatic and positive leadership as well as an amazingly improved jumpshot and you have the greatest Husky season ever and one of the all-time NCAA season greats.

Reaction Score
Best season ever. I'm not even sure that is debatable.

His shooting percentages dropped during the season, mostly because he was the only option. As soon as Lamb emerged, his shooting percentages started to rise again. Not many players can shoot a high percentage when the whole team is keying in on you--Jimmer was pretty good, but he just had such an unnatural range that it opened things up more than just about any player.

Okafor's '04 was awesome, but he had Gordon--the #3 pick in that draft.
Caron had a great season with young players, but they lost in the Elite 8.
Rip had a great season in '99, but the rest of his team was significantly better than Kemba's.
Ray had a great season in '96, but his team was better and they lost in the Sweet 16.
Donyell had a great season in '94, but choked on the line.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I was just thinking about this the other day as I was watching some of the Big East tournament games from last sesaon. You don't quite realize how much he carried the team on his back until you actually watch the games again. He wasn't just the best offensive player on the team, he was the best defensive player as well in my opinion. He got every loose ball, he got every rebound within his reach, and I can't tell you how many times he dived onto the floor. Statistically people will point to his low shooting percentages and the teams mediocre play during the Big East part of the schedule. But as far as I'm concerned you have to throw the stats out the window and just watch the games, look at the results, watch how every single game he played harder than everyone. Didn't matter if it was a 60-35 game against Harvard or a 60-60 game against Kentucky, he always had that look in his eye. So where does it rank? He took a group of unheralded freshman and led them not only to the National Championship, but he also guided the young freshman to a Big East tournament title, as well as the Maui Championship. Jay Bilas on the the UConn freshman: "They almost feel bad about it if they don't play just as hard". And that pretty much sums it up.
+1
I wouldn't consider him the most talented player in UConn history, but I would consider him the most valuable. Without a doubt in my mind the greatest single season performance by a UConn player ever when you take into consideration all the things Kemba did this season and the construction of the team. I agree with Dogbreath, one of the NCAA all time season greats.

Reaction Score

His shooting percentages dropped during the season, mostly because he was the only option. As soon as Lamb emerged, his shooting percentages started to rise again. Not many players can shoot a high percentage when the whole team is keying in on you--Jimmer was pretty good, but he just had such an unnatural range that it opened things up more than just about any player.

Rip had a great season in '99, but the rest of his team was significantly better than Kemba's.
Ray had a great season in '96, but his team was better and they lost in the Sweet 16.

Oh I know he had the greatest UConn seasn ever...I'm just wondering if there has been a better performance in NCAA basketball over the last ten years. Can't think of anybody

Reaction Score
KW=Irreplaceable...& cumulatively his single season performance was the best ever at UConn. He was literally a coach on the floor and off as well. There is a huge huge void to fill.

Reaction Score
I think with this roster UConn is an elite 8 team before the exit doors begin to open. The question is despite the exit doors being opened @ elite 8 will there be a driver of the bus that can navigate the team around the paths that lead to finality. Last year we had KW this year we have....I am hoping Alex Oriakhi but...we shall see. This problem is not unique to UConn. Almost all teams are asking themselves the same question as October nears.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
If we're talking from an NCAA perspective ... I'd really have to think about it for a while. Definitely the best single season from a UConn perspective and I really don't think thats up for debate.

Reaction Score

100% correct

Reaction Score

Simply the best. He did it all and did it with panache, guts and a big smile.

mets1090

Probably returning some video tapes...
Reaction Score
kemba-walker-dance.jpg

Legend

Reaction Score
Funny thing is that if this team does something magical again this season, I think I may owe some of that to Kemba Walker. The fact that the majority of this group had the chance to play with him and see what type of work ethic/passion is required to be the best is something that will likely rub off on them for a lifetime.

For my money, it's the best run of any player in Uconn history. And it was needed as much as the first title - least we not forget the state of the program/recruiting going into last year - nothing that changes that perception better than winning.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
BUT GUYS, JIMMER LIKE, AVERAGED 29 POINTS A GAME AND CAPTURED THE NATIONWITH JIMMERMANIA!!

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I'm sure if I put my mind to it, I could think of a final four performance or two in the ball park, but we're talking the full post season here. BET and the whole dance. What the kid did can't be looked at in terms of numbers. Other than the numbers that make up the post season record. 11 & 0. ELEVEN and ZERO. That is Kemba's legacy.

I'm not sure there has ever been an iconic "It's OK guys, I got this," moment in CBB quite as perfect as Kemba's closer against Pitt. If we'd been really astute observers, I suspect that's the moment we should have realized that the man was never going to lose again in a Husky uniform.

As excited as I am about the upcoming season, it's going to be tough to adjust to life after Kemba.
legend600.jpg

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
It looks like everyone's answering everything except the question you asked. I can't answer the question, but I'll start with this: Can anyone name 5 better seasons in the past 10 years? 10 better seasons in the past 25 years? 25 better seasons in 50 years? This is across all teams. Just start populating the list. If KW gets knocked off, so be it. Ready, set, go.

Reaction Score
It looks like everyone's answering everything except the question you asked. I can't answer the question, but I'll start with this: Can anyone name 5 better seasons in the past 10 years? 10 better seasons in the past 25 years? 25 better seasons in 50 years? This is across all teams. Just start populating the list. If KW gets knocked off, so be it. Ready, set, go.

Just to get it started:
Danny Manning immediately springs to mind
Carmelo Anthony would rank just behind Kemba, I think - if for no other reason than Cuse got smoked in the Big East semis
Larry Bird carrying Indiana State to a near perfect record was remarkable, but they did lose the title game.
David Robinson leading Navy to the Elite Eight (but came up short of FF)
Stephen Curry leading Davdison to the Elite Eight (ditto)
Glen Rice had a postseason run that was ridiculous, but you could make the case that Rumeal Robinson was the leader of the team
Isiah Thomas in '81 - less statistically dominant than Kemba, but some similarities
David Thompson at N.C. State in '74 - but he did have help
Alcindor and Walton played on dominant teams, but were dominant individuals as well - tough to compare (Ewing in '84 as well)
Bill Bradley leading Princeton to the Final Four.
Oscar Robertson and Jerry West are right at the 50-year cutoff.
Pete Maravich put up huge numbers, but LSU never advanced far

Reaction Score

totally agree. by far the best season ever for a husky.

Reaction Score
Clearly the best season ever by a husky. All time I would agree with the previous poster that Carmelo and Manning are the two that came to mind first. Larry Bird may have an argument because even though they didn't win it all, it was Indiana State.

BUHusky

The original. Accept no substitutes.
Reaction Score
Best ever. Enough said.

Reaction Score
I was just thinking about this: Imagine if Kemba decided to stay for his senior year and we added AD (for hypothetical sake, pretend Boat Show is a 2012 to keep the same # of schollies). I think that team could probably finish 7th in the NBA Eastern Conference.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Just to get it started:
Danny Manning immediately springs to mind
Carmelo Anthony would rank just behind Kemba, I think - if for no other reason than Cuse got smoked in the Big East semis
Larry Bird carrying Indiana State to a near perfect record was remarkable, but they did lose the title game.
David Robinson leading Navy to the Elite Eight (but came up short of FF)
Stephen Curry leading Davdison to the Elite Eight (ditto)
Glen Rice had a postseason run that was ridiculous, but you could make the case that Rumeal Robinson was the leader of the team
Isiah Thomas in '81 - less statistically dominant than Kemba, but some similarities
David Thompson at N.C. State in '74 - but he did have help
Alcindor and Walton played on dominant teams, but were dominant individuals as well - tough to compare (Ewing in '84 as well)
Bill Bradley leading Princeton to the Final Four.
Oscar Robertson and Jerry West are right at the 50-year cutoff.
Pete Maravich put up huge numbers, but LSU never advanced far

Part of the reason why I posted my question the way I did was because Manning, Anthony & Bird came first to mind, but I didn't want to do any outside research and wondered if I was missing an obvious answer. Every name on your list sparks memories. Elvin Hayes in-season, and Howard Porter post-season come up as memorable in a similar (though limited) way, but I'm inclined to regard KW's 2010-2011 as start-to-finish very close to the top. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Not only did he do all that you mention but I was just reminded by some SDSU fans (I live in San Diego) about his "flop" against them which destroyed SDSU's momentum and gave Kemba some free throws. Someone aptly said SDSU was playing checkers and Kemba was playing chess.

Reaction Score
Oh I know he had the greatest UConn seasn ever...I'm just wondering if there has been a better performance in NCAA basketball over the last ten years. Can't think of anybody

That kid at ND had a better season than Kemba according to some idiots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom