How does Isaiah Whaley’s improvement impact the Huskies? | The Boneyard

How does Isaiah Whaley’s improvement impact the Huskies?

Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, Whaleys PnR defense is elite--years ahead of most college bigs. This skill alone makes him our best center unless someone else can make surprise us. If he plays like he did the half of the season, we will be very good.

Stats last 12 games:

10.3 PPG
7.9 RPG
0.8 APG

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.5 BLK

53%FG (6.4 attempts)
78% FT (3.3 attempts)

27.5 Minutes per contest

A competent center (particularly on defense) elevates our team so much. We have been stuck with Carlton at the 5, who as much as he is a great kid, can't do the things most needed in Hurley's kind of big man: defend pnr, block shots, effeciency, aggressive defense on the perimeter, opportunistic and positional offense, rather than 3 dribble post ups.

Reaction Score
His size and quickness allows him to be the primary big against quicker teams with smaller bigs like Creighton, Villanova and St. John's. We'd have a really hard time defending those teams without him.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think his play has good enough to put us ahead of schedule this season. Amazing how everything is falling into place behind him in the front court.

OkaForPrez

Really Popular Poster
Reaction Score

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The way Whaley can hedge and recover makes me wonder if he's best used guarding stretch fours. He's not a stay in the paint shot blocker but he is smart and mobile and who can upset the flow of an opposing offense.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
As others have pointed out, Whaleys PnR defense is elite--years ahead of most college bigs. This skill alone makes him our best center unless someone else can make surprise us. If he plays like he did the half of the season, we will be very good.

Stats last 12 games:

10.3 PPG
7.9 RPG
0.8 APG

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.5 BLK

53%FG (6.4 attempts)
78% FT (3.3 attempts)

27.5 Minutes per contest

A competent center (particularly on defense) elevates our team so much. We have been stuck with Carlton at the 5, who as much as he is a great kid, can't do the things most needed in Hurley's kind of big man: defend pnr, block shots, effeciency, aggressive defense on the perimeter, opportunistic and positional offense, rather than 3 dribble post ups.
I’m guessing it will be matchup dependent who we use at the 5. Whaley getting the nod against a PnR heavy team and Sanogo getting the nod vs everyone else, with Whaley moved over to the 4.

Reaction Score
I am very excited to see how Hurley rotates the entire roster this year, but particularly the bigs. What is everyone's thoughts on the NCAA granting winter athletes another year of eligibility? Whaley seems like an ideal candidate to take advantage of this and return next year. In my opinion, he isn't an NBA player, but still a highly effective college player.

Reaction Score
The way Whaley can hedge and recover makes me wonder if he's best used guarding stretch fours. He's not a stay in the paint shot blocker but he is smart and mobile and who can upset the flow of an opposing offense.

Most PnRs at going to be run with the 1 and the 5... not the 1 and the 4. He can defend the 4, but like Hurley said--he's obviously at his best playing the 5. Him being able to show out his PnR defense is a big part of it

Reaction Score
I am very excited to see how Hurley rotates the entire roster this year, but particularly the bigs. What is everyone's thoughts on the NCAA granting winter athletes another year of eligibility? Whaley seems like an ideal candidate to take advantage of this and return next year. In my opinion, he isn't an NBA player, but still a highly effective college player.
Yes, and he can likely carve out a nice role playing internationally after college.

Reaction Score
Another impressive improvement by Whaley during his season ending spree was his ability to stay in the game. Remember he was a fouling machine but once it became apparent we needed 25 plus minutes out of him he kept his hands “in his pockets” when he had to in order to be more available.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think having players on the roster who have improved their skills and shown that improvement to the coaching staff will elevate the overall performance of the team and provide the coaches with more lineup options.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Another impressive improvement by Whaley during his season ending spree was his ability to stay in the game. Remember he was a fouling machine but once it became apparent we needed 25 plus minutes out of him he kept his hands “in his pockets” when he had to in order to be more available.
Yep I’m excited to see him this year.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score

Stats last 12 games:

10.3 PPG
7.9 RPG
0.8 APG

1.4 TO
0.8 STL
2.5 BLK

53%FG (6.4 attempts)
78% FT (3.3 attempts)

27.5 Minutes per contest

his ability to go off for a double double in the right match up us also incredibly valuable, there are moments where hes playing like the best player on the court and you need.

GoDAWGS

"I Love Whaley"
Reaction Score
I was going to ask the same question, but if whaley plays like he did at the end of last season I can definitely see him getting some over seas offer, and at that point he has to go make his money id think.

Reaction Score
I was going to ask the same question, but if whaley plays like he did at the end of last season I can definitely see him getting some over seas offer, and at that point he has to go make his money id think.
At this point it's just a question of whether he wants to come back, he'll have plenty of offers to play overseas. Guys like Christian Foxen are playing overseas and actually playing well, so Whaley is a lock

Reaction Score
I love when Isaiah Whaley is on the court. He hedges well and is such a live body. The 13.8 and 8.7 he averaged over the last 6 games made him a star in the making.

Reaction Score
Two more years of Whaley is really exciting. If ever a guy could benefit from the extra year, he’s one of them.

Samoo

Providence-Newark-San Antonio
Reaction Score
I think having players on the roster who have improved their skills and shown that improvement to the coaching staff will elevate the overall performance of the team and provide the coaches with more lineup options.
This is downright Chiefian...

Reaction Score

He's the poster boy for player development and personal initiative based on how little DH played him his first year. He really wanted to stay and make something of himself and he sure did.

Reaction Score
He's the poster boy for player development and personal initiative based on how little DH played him his first year. He really wanted to stay and make something of himself and he sure did.

He is an amazing success story, especially on the offensive end. Great to see such considerable development.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom