How does Hamilton affect our APR? | The Boneyard

How does Hamilton affect our APR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Was he in good shape academically? Did he just pull out of classes without worrying about his standing? This is what killed us in the past, guys just took off.

Anyone in the know?

Reaction Score
Was he in good shape academically? Did he just pull out of classes without worrying about his standing? This is what killed us in the past, guys just took off.

Anyone in the know?
It's been reported that he will take online classes while in California. If he follows through on that I assume we will be in decent shape.

Reaction Score
Who knows, but rest assured we'll get a front page story on ESPN sometime next season (the only front page story we'll get) which will prominently feature our APR score and the writer's general tone will be condescending

Reaction Score
We always seem to have a loyal hoops alumni following. That was definitely the case with Calhoun players. Hopefully it will be the same with Ollie's players. I would make it clear that the program will always support your decision to do what you think is in your best interest regarding the NBA, but that is only the case if you finish out your time in a way that doesn't hurt the program's APR. It's not asking much and it shows respect to your school, your program, and your coach. Leave the wrong way and don't expect support or to be part of the UConn family.

Reaction Score
after what happened last time wouldn't the academic advisors and tutors have this covered?

Reaction Score

Anyone in the know?

Well, he definitely has taken off -- no interest in being on campus any longer than he has to be.

As long as those online classes are legit, the APR shouldn't be affected though. (It is kind of pathetic that we feel the need to ask about this with every transfer/defection, I don't think any other major program does.)

Reaction Score
Do you guys really think he's gonna finish his online classes? I don't.

Whatever though, our APR is solid enough to take a hit or two im sure.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I don't know those double hits on kids leaving school are brutal.

That said, I'm confident that he'll meet his obligations.

Reaction Score
I don't know those double hits on kids leaving school are brutal.

That said, I'm confident that he'll meet his obligations.
Even if he did not with the shape our APR is in it would not matter, it would affect it, but it would not put us close to being in danger

Reaction Score
If I was 2-5 years away from being moderately wealthy i wouldn't finish an online class either :cool:

No guarantee he will be moderately wealthy. He is not a sure fire pro prospect.

Reaction Score
No guarantee he will be moderately wealthy. He is not a sure fire pro prospect.

Eh? No one thinks he can't make some decent coin in Europe at the very least.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
(It is kind of pathetic that we feel the need to ask about this with every transfer/defection, I don't think any other major program does.)

Because they don't have to worry about it. Kentucky has a perfect APR damn near every year. I've read they have independent study classes for freshman basketball players. lol If they need a grade, they'll get a grade. SEC schools are very well schooled in this practice.

Reaction Score

I think the APR has been almost perfect the last 3-4 years so even if the APR takes a minor hit this year, they should be fine. Youre only in jeopardy of a ban if your two year or four year average is below a certain number. I forgot what the number is you have to reach, but I dont think this team is anywhere near the danger zone, even with one bad year

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
I think the APR has been almost perfect the last 3-4 years so even if the APR takes a minor hit this year, they should be fine. Youre only in jeopardy of a ban if your two year or four year average is below a certain number. I forgot what the number is you have to reach, but I dont think this team is anywhere near the danger zone, even with one bad year

But one bad year, defined by the press in our case as any decline in our APR, no matter how unsubstantial, will result in massive amounts of negative press.

Reaction Score
Because they don't have to worry about it. Kentucky has a perfect APR damn near every year. I've read they have independent study classes for freshman basketball players. lol If they need a grade, they'll get a grade. SEC schools are very well schooled in this practice.

That's the part of it I don't get, that should make people question if the APR standard is a sham. With a program like Kentucky's where players are leaving early regularly, you're telling me that none of those guys ever said "I'm going to be a millionaire in 3 months, what do I care about going to class?" I'm not saying it should happen with a lot of guys, but it should happen with a few. If they have set up a system where work the players do over winter break completely covers the school for the spring semester and they get 100% compliance, then how does that realistically mirror "real" school?

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
That's the part of it I don't get, that should make people question if the APR standard is a sham. With a program like Kentucky's where players are leaving early regularly, you're telling me that none of those guys ever said "I'm going to be a millionaire in 3 months, what do I care about going to class?" I'm not saying it should happen with a lot of guys, but it should happen with a few. If they have set up a system where work the players do over winter break completely covers the school for the spring semester and they get 100% compliance, then how does that realistically mirror "real" school?
No one here seems to get it. APR was developed by Emmert and the NCAA to specifically get even with UConn after his dismissal. If a few other schools got caught up in it - oh well collateral damage. The fact that no other school has been penalized is troubling. The fact that Emmert dismissed UConn's "current players not involved" and then turned around 2 years later and used it to justify no ban for SU is more troubling. My bet is we never hear a word about APR, UNLESS UConn steps on their academic d!cks again.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Jacobs said in his article this morning that according to his sources, Hamilton is in good shape academically and there isn't any concern over him failing to meet his academic obligations the rest of the way.

EDIT: Here you go; from Jacobs' article this morning:

Hamilton is from a good, stable family environment. His brother Jordan plays in the NBA. The Hamiltons are immersed in the game. They know the ropes. I'm told he is not in academic peril. In fact, he's doing online work from home in Los Angeles to finish up the semester in good standing.

Reaction Score
No one here seems to get it. APR was developed by Emmert and the NCAA to specifically get even with UConn after his dismissal. If a few other schools got caught up in it - oh well collateral damage. The fact that no other school has been penalized is troubling. The fact that Emmert dismissed UConn's "current players not involved" and then turned around 2 years later and used it to justify no ban for SU is more troubling. My bet is we never hear a word about APR, UNLESS UConn steps on their academic d!cks again.
Where do people come up with this stuff?

Reaction Score
Where do people come up with this stuff?

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I definitely don't write off the idea that Emmert concocted the retroactive APR thing in part to get back at Calhoun for Drummond.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom