How does Geno do it? | The Boneyard

How does Geno do it?

Reaction Score
This man has somewhere around 17 players in the WNBA, has sent even more there who've retired now. Lots of people say that UCONN is the best at making its players WNBA ready, but does anyone know what UCONN does different than others? Is it the scheduling? The conditioning? What is it?

Reaction Score
It's Geno's genius mind and his rigid philosophy of how the game must be played.. Another thought is his genius in selecting the players he wants at Uconn that he feels will continue the Uconn tradition of excellence, My opinion in a nutshell.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
It's Geno's genius mind and his rigid philosophy of how the game must be played.. Another thought is his genius in selecting the players he wants at Uconn that he feels will continue the Uconn tradition of excellence, My opinion in a nutshell.
I agree with all of this, but I'll build on it.

First is selection: He looks for players who are 1) team oriented; 2) will listen to him; 3) hard workers; 4) intelligent; 5) high character; good passers; 6) willing (and in many cases, eager) to play defense.

There are probably more. Talented, of course. He's not alone in looking for most of these characteristics, but I think he's a little more rigid about it.

He has a basic philosophy and model for how the game should be played, but he does tweak things every year to play to his players' strengths. His overarching game plan always relies on defense-to-offense and on passing. He loves bigs who pass (don't forget when Stef Dolson got the triple-double, she was so excited because it was points, rebounds, and ASSISTS). No WNBA coach doesn't want someone who defends and passes.

But I think the most important thing is the read-and-react that he teaches on both offense and defense. Many noobs in the W talk about how much there is to take in, new concepts to learn, but that's much less the case for UConn players. They're used to motion offense. They're always good at reading picks -- going above, below, or switching. They read passing and driving lanes well. They move their feet rather than their arms on defense. All sorts of stuff that comes from read-and-react.

And to build on what RSHERM just said above -- Geno, CD, and the whole coaching staff prepare the players for more than just what happens on the court. They're prepared for life, interviews, and other things that ease the transition to the W.

Reaction Score

First is selection: He looks for players who are 1) team oriented; 2) will listen to him; 3) hard workers; 4) intelligent; 5) high character; good passers; 6) willing (and in many cases, eager) to play defense.

There are probably more. Talented, of course. He's not alone in looking for most of these characteristics, but I think he's a little more rigid about it.

He has a basic philosophy and model for how the game should be played, but he does tweak things every year to play to his players' strengths. His overarching game plan always relies on defense-to-offense and on passing. He loves bigs who pass (don't forget when Stef Dolson got the triple-double, she was so excited because it was points, rebounds, and ASSISTS). No WNBA coach doesn't want someone who defends and passes.

But I think the most important thing is the read-and-react that he teaches on both offense and defense. Many noobs in the W talk about how much there is to take in, new concepts to learn, but that's much less the case for UConn players. They're used to motion offense. They're always good at reading picks -- going above, below, or switching. They read passing and driving lanes well. They move their feet rather than their arms on defense. All sorts of stuff that comes from read-and-react.

And to build on what RSHERM just said above -- Geno, CD, and the whole coaching staff prepare the players for more than just what happens on the court. They're prepared for life, interviews, and other things that ease the transition to the W.
Those are definitely some good points. Arguably, UCONN has the most versatile class coming in this season, with all of them able to play multiple positions and possess great defense/offensive talent.

The W wants everything, not just a one trick pony. So I can see how UCONN players would have an easier time integrating to the change.

Reaction Score
I messaged about this last night but I think it is exemplified in the Chicago/Washington game last night.

Reese and Cardoso were high drafts and have gotten lots of buzz but Edwards outplayed both of them last night. She showed greater efficiency and a more versatile game. Reese and Cardoso showed fewer dimensions in their game.

For me, on the court I've always noticed a greater efficiency and versatility in UConn players. IMO. Those come from the recruiting and teaching the staff does.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I messaged about this last night but I think it is exemplified in the Chicago/Washington game last night.

Reese and Cardoso were high drafts and have gotten lots of buzz but Edwards outplayed both of them last night. She showed greater efficiency and a more versatile game. Reese and Cardoso showed fewer dimensions in their game.

For me, on the court I've always noticed a greater efficiency and versatility in UConn players. IMO. Those come from the recruiting and teaching the staff does.
I was really taken aback at Reese's defense. Or lack thereof. Early in the game, Edwards was just so open multiple times, and you could see Reese running over to where she should have been. Once or twice it's an oops, four times in a couple of minutes, it's not knowing or not caring where she's supposed to be.

Reese is a great rebounder and pretty good on offense, but see the last sentence in yhun's post two up from this one. I have no doubt she's learning, but at this point she's really a one-trick pony.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
All of the above and-

Geno and CD built the program on a standard of excellence. It is a very high bar and there are no exceptions. And not just basketball skills. How the team will appear in public, speaking to interviewers, public service and giving back to the community. Good grades are always a priority.

With all that come a very large human factor. Geno and company invest time with the players. They genuinely care about the players as people, not just basketball players. You see this all the time in the interactions, especially the "off camera" stuff that we have seen from Paige, Nika and now KK. Over the years we have seen this play out on the court.

We are a most fortunate fan base to have such a wonderful program to root for.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Last year a WNBA coach said you can always tell a UConner by their routine and their discipline ; for example their warm up routines. For years and years coaches have said UConners have a deep understanding of the game which allows them to adapt quickly. In other words at UConn you don't just play basketball; you get a basketball education with a big doze of control, discipline, teamwork and excellence.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score

I should have read this before making my feeble contribution.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another essential (and non-reproducible) element is Geno's ability to develop a deep personal rapport with so many different personalities. There are exceptions: Kelly Schumacher, Samarie Walker, Megan Walker, and perhaps Azura Stevens. But for the other 95%, Geno is able to push them and challenge them and yet not make them mad enough to want to transfer or leave early for the pro leagues. He recently mentioned that the strong relationships between the coaching staff and the UConn players is possibly the explanation for why no core UConn player has left the program to pursue greater NIL opportunities elsewhere.

Doing this over a 40-year career and with so much change in the culture over that time, and still to be doing it with today's freshmen, is amazing. The same applies to Chris Dailey.

Reaction Score
This man has somewhere around 17 players in the WNBA, has sent even more there who've retired now. Lots of people say that UCONN is the best at making its players WNBA ready, but does anyone know what UCONN does different than others? Is it the scheduling? The conditioning? What is it?

Some coaches believe that isn’t not their job to get players ready for the next level.

Kat

Reaction Score
I agree with everything that's been said but would like to add that Geno has a unique ability to view a player and visualize the potential for that athlete. He sees things that the players themselves don't realize. Other coaches would be more than happy to take a blue-chipper, insert her in the lineup, and accept what she brings. Not Geno. He pushes and coaches players to become something beyond what they are when they come to UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom