How does Catchings not get a flagrant... | The Boneyard

How does Catchings not get a flagrant...

Status
Not open for further replies.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
Watching the Seattle Stews vs Indiana... 1 second left 2st quarter. Catching trips to run through Tokashiki who get blocked in the back by Colman. Apparently feeling that impact, Catching literally throws Tokashiki to the deck with both arms. The foul is called on Catching who goes ballistic and chases the ref yelling at him. Result? Common foul, side out to Seattle in their backcourt with one tick left. No flagrant, no tech. The worst refs in professional sports.

If someone can look at that and make sense of it for me, I would appreciate it.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Watching the Seattle Stews vs Indiana... 1 second left 2st quarter. Catching trips to run through Tokashiki who get blocked in the back by Colman. Apparently feeling that impact, Catching literally throws Tokashiki to the deck with both arms. The foul is called on Catching who goes ballistic and chases the ref yelling at him. Result? Common foul, side out to Seattle in their backcourt with one tick left. No flagrant, no tech. The worst refs in professional sports.

If someone can look at that and make sense of it for me, I would appreciate it.
Tenn fan here and I have to agree.....that for sure should have been a flagrant on Catch. She ended up playing a heck of a game in the comeback effort. Loyd closed them out in the end.

Reaction Score
I can't wait for the response......I've always thought Catchings gets more breaks than most, even other stars, because of her disability.

Reaction Score
Sorry. I didn't know she was a 'deaf' girl. I thought she was hearing impaired!
Besides, I don't think it would be an unusual response, just that referees should be impartial.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
She's Tamika Catchings, that's why she didn't get a flagrant foul.
In fairness, I've never heard of her ever being accused of playing dirty or even overly physical - just super intense all the time - similar to Maya. She's always struck me as a fierce but fair competitor, but I will admit I've not followed her career as closely as I would have if she were a UCONN alum.

Having said that, possibly it was let go because she IS Tamika Catchings - much like Sue Bird or Maya or Swin any other number of veterans who have squeaky clean reputations when it comes to the "attitude" they bring to the game. Work your ass off, play the game as hard as you can, and be the best you can be.

BTW I'm not arguing that the foul was not flagrant - I tend to agree that it should have been called, but given that Catch doesn't have a history of "colorful" behavior may be why it wasn't called...

Reaction Score
So, again - gimme an example.... 'cause if not, you're demeaning her accomplishments and impugning the reputation of officials.

I'm neither 'demeaning' her accomplishments nor impugning the reputations of the refs. If you don't think referees and umpires, etc... don't favor certain players sometimes, then there's no sense talking to you(you're like a 'deaf' girl). Many ex players say that(and, no, I will not give you examples. Just read about it or listen to ex-players). If you do agree that referees favor some players('stars', well known players, players with 'good' reputations, etc..) sometimes, then there's no reason not to think they might favor a player with a disability as well at times. I think it's human nature to want to help people with disabilities(this isn't demeaning, imo), and I think most refs and umpires are human, though some players may disagree.
That's it.
Let me know if you get any tickets for the garden this year. ;-)

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I'm neither 'demeaning' her accomplishments nor impugning the reputations of the refs. If you don't think referees and umpires, etc... don't favor certain players sometimes, then there's no sense talking to you(you're like a 'deaf' girl). Many ex players say that(and, no, I will not give you examples. Just read about it or listen to ex-players). If you do agree that referees favor some players('stars', well known players, players with 'good' reputations, etc..) sometimes, then there's no reason not to think they might favor a player with a disability as well at times. I think it's human nature to want to help people with disabilities(this isn't demeaning, imo), and I think most refs and umpires are human, though some players may disagree.
That's it.
Let me know if you get any tickets for the garden this year. ;-)
I don't think there is any doubt that, as Eric puts it so eloquently above, Tamika may indeed get moderately "special" treatment. She won't be the first or the last.

What TJI is rejecting (I think) and I reject also is that it has anything to do with the fact that she has hearing aids.

Reaction Score
In fairness, I've never heard of her ever being accused of playing dirty or even overly physical - just super intense all the time - similar to Maya. She's always struck me as a fierce but fair competitor, but I will admit I've not followed her career as closely as I would have if she were a UCONN alum.

Having said that, possibly it was let go because she IS Tamika Catchings - much like Sue Bird or Maya or Swin any other number of veterans who have squeaky clean reputations when it comes to the "attitude" they bring to the game. Work your ass off, play the game as hard as you can, and be the best you can be.

BTW I'm not arguing that the foul was not flagrant - I tend to agree that it should have been called, but given that Catch doesn't have a history of "colorful" behavior may be why it wasn't called...

Exactly! Superstars get the benefit of the doubt. The rest, not so much.

Reaction Score

One More reason to like your posting!!!

As one of extremely limited, significant hearing loss (thank you Uncle S) --I can attest that hardly ever do I get acknowledge preferential treatment as I would should I be wearing a cane or crutch. It is the invisible disability!! Clerks even when told I cannot hear them keep talking as if I could--the only solution is to wear a sign around my neck saying "I can't hear you"! So I doubt ms Catching is getting any preferential treatment because of her hearing--I must say it is difficult for me to think of one so young living with the problem--not one you know until it is you..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Her speech impediment as a result of her hearing disability helps.
Gee, more free throws than anyone in wnba history. I know, she's more aggressive and more skilled and a better foul shooter than everyone else. I forgot about that even though I've been watching her whole career since Tennessee.

As one of extremely limited, significant hearing loss (thank you Uncle S) --I can attest that hardly ever do I get acknowledge preferential treatment as I would should I be wearing a cane or crutch. It is the invisible disability!! Clerks even when told I cannot hear them keep talking as if I could--the only solution is to wear a sign around my neck saying "I can't hear you"! So I doubt ms Catching is getting any preferential treatment because of her hearing--I must say it is difficult for me to think of one so young living with the problem--not one you know until it is you..

Did anyone also notice how she never commits a foul herself

Reaction Score
So, again - gimme an example.... 'cause if not, you're demeaning her accomplishments and impugning the reputation of officials.

ThisJustin- - -The Referees in WCBB and the WNBA do not have a favorable reputation to impugn!
The worst referees in ANY sport are WBB Referees! They make incompetent a compliment!
I love to watch Tamika Catchings play but that play was worthy of a flagrant foul/technical!

Reaction Score

\
Thanks for the LIKE. In trying to state facts--I guess I was carried away in self pity. But Honestly I don't feel that way (consciously). However, knowing the damnation of not hearing on others , my wife especially, I have true compassion for Catchings. Thanks again. Since it is not visible -- I doubt she gets a lot of gimme's from the refs because her hearing loss--. Personally I never gave her a break at Tn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom