How does Army do it (attendance wise)? | The Boneyard

How does Army do it (attendance wise)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TKs

Reaction Score
Watched some of the Tulane (2-7) @ Army (2-7) last Saturday, weather was in low 40's & very windy. Couldn't believe how well attended the game was. Place looked almost full. Surprised it was only 32,300 in box score (40k capacity). I went to Duke @ Army in Oct (most tix were $40.) and it was sold-out! Sure they will sell out this week again vs Rutgers. I go to a game there every couple of years and it's always at least 80% full & most fans are in their seats early.
The team has been terrible for many years, they are in a worse Confrence situation than us, their home schedule is usually worse than ours, same size stadium as us, same weather conditions as us, mostly noon kick-offs w an early season weeknight game like us, both places have great tailgate set ups. How do they do it!?

Reaction Score
Perhaps all members of the actual Army and/or retired members of the Army actually relate to and root for the team even if they didn't go to West Point? That would be a rather enormous alumni base, no?

Reaction Score
Army is unique. First, it offers a stunning setting that is almost like fall football nirvana looking out across the Hudson Valley. Situated on a unique campus, with unmatched pageantry - the cadets marching in and paratrooper landing at midfield - the game experience is also special. But the most important thing is that it is Army. Even more than the other academies, West Point has a special patriotic pull that brings in the public, while also providing a strong gravitational pull for both academy and non-academy Army veterans. I go to UConn games because I'm a CT resident, but I go to occasional Army games because I'm an American

Reaction Score
The concept that somebody in the Army or Navy would automatically have a vested interest in the academy football team is not true.

What Army has, is history and location, location, location.

I've been to many a stadium and there is no place to take in a football game, quite like the USMA at West Point. Combine that, with the history of the place, and the history of the game there, and what it stands for - and the that's it's been there forever a short ride from the biggest media center in the world, as long as it's been the biggest media center in the world - and the fact that everybody that attends - knows that the guys on the field, are playing the game - for the game - and that there is lot more stuff that's important in their lives - than winning or losing a football game - and you have a little bit of what Army football is. You talk to 10 people that follow college football in the northeast USA, and I'll guesstimate that 9 out of 10 of them will have been to a game at Army - just to see a game at Army, at least once, and at least 5 of 10, have been to more than one, or would say they're interested in going again, if the situation presents itself.

Naval Academy is in a weird place, because they're so much different in the way they run their athletic deaprtmetn around the football team. It's a business at the Naval Academy - like any other big football business - only they're recruiting for service in the Navy - to go with playing football - and that's the only thing that's different from any other division 1 football school - you're recruiting for an education and playing the game - doesn't involve military service at other division 1 schools. I'm not sure if that will translate into a negative opinion at some point, but I doubt it, because as soon as this year's group of seniors graduates, they're not going to have a similar season again, until they can develop a similar set of players.

Army - not about that - business - it's just football. I might even feel bad for them, a bit, because they're not going to win against Navy again this year. But I don't.

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
Army is unique. First, it offers a stunning setting that is almost like fall football nirvana looking out across the Hudson Valley. Situated on a unique campus, with unmatched pageantry - the cadets marching in and paratrooper landing at midfield - the game experience is also special. But the most important thing is that it is Army. Even more than the other academies, West Point has a special patriotic pull that brings in the public, while also providing a strong gravitational pull for both academy and non-academy Army veterans. I go to UConn games because I'm a CT resident, but I go to occasional Army games because I'm an American
But we had a group of paratroopers land in the parking lot...

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I love the going to West Point early. At 9 am you can see the parade of cadets and then they go through their routines with bayonettes and sky jumpers. By 10 am, you are so proud to be an American it is awesome. Then you walk around the campus, tailgate and go to a stadium that is rich with history of Heisman winners and college football lore.

Yale has more similarities to Army than UConn does in all honesty

Reaction Score
My dad was a huge Army fan when I was a kid and I was taken to Michie stadium 3 or 4 times a year to watch the Black Knights of the Hudson. Back then they were a very good team that played Pitt, Penn State, Notre Dame, Syracuse and Yale. I remember the pageantry of the Cadets marching in and the fall colors of the trees was breathtaking. It was a great experience to behold. MY dad would bring a flask of brandy and we would sip it to keep warm in the stands and afterward have a meal at the local restaurant. we had a fun time tailgating too. I was a kid that loved to run around and ran onto the field during a game and was swooped up by the Nittany Lion who ran up and down the field with me. My dad almost put me on a leash after that incident. those were fun times back then.

Reaction Score
My dad was a huge Army fan when I was a kid and I was taken to Michie stadium 3 or 4 times a year to watch the Black Knights of the Hudson....I was a kid that loved to run around and ran onto the field during a game and was swooped up by the Nittany Lion who ran up and down the field with me. My dad almost put me on a leash after that incident. those were fun times back then.

Could there be a video of that somewhere? Did they have video back then?

BTW check this out if you heven't seen it!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
My favorite part of going to an Army game is being politely asked by an 18-year old kid holding a presumably loaded M16 to "park right over there". SIR, YES SIR!

Reaction Score
They were full because it was their annual Cub Scout day. Probably 8k scouts and parents in the crowd.

Reaction Score

I will give that Michie Stadium is a heck of a place to watch a football game in the fall and has a leg-up in terms of scenery as its right on the Hudson versus Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium, which is a little inland from the Severn. But, Navy's patriotic pull is just as strong as Army's pull in my opinion. And of course, BEAT ARMY. That said, I am sure we can agree on the place that that newbie academy out in Colorado sits in the food chain :cool:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
They were full because it was their annual Cub Scout day. Probably 8k scouts and parents in the crowd.

For many years I took Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts to the annual Scout Day game. It's much more than just watching the game.

Tours of the grounds are arranged if the units desire. They are led by the cadets who give a brief history of West Point. Then there is the Cadets on parade. If you have not seen this, it is magnificent to watch as the Corps parades out from the dorms in full dress uniform. Add to that the West Point Band playing and it is truly a great experience.

And as others have said, the tradition of Army football is unparalleled in college sports. There is nothing like fall football, on the Hudson.

Reaction Score
The concept that somebody in the Army or Navy would automatically have a vested interest in the academy football team is not true.

What Army has, is history and location, location, location.

I've been to many a stadium and there is no place to take in a football game, quite like the USMA at West Point. Combine that, with the history of the place, and the history of the game there, and what it stands for - and the that's it's been there forever a short ride from the biggest media center in the world, as long as it's been the biggest media center in the world - and the fact that everybody that attends - knows that the guys on the field, are playing the game - for the game - and that there is lot more stuff that's important in their lives - than winning or losing a football game - and you have a little bit of what Army football is. You talk to 10 people that follow college football in the northeast USA, and I'll guesstimate that 9 out of 10 of them will have been to a game at Army - just to see a game at Army, at least once, and at least 5 of 10, have been to more than one, or would say they're interested in going again, if the situation presents itself.

Naval Academy is in a weird place, because they're so much different in the way they run their athletic deaprtmetn around the football team. It's a business at the Naval Academy - like any other big football business - only they're recruiting for service in the Navy - to go with playing football - and that's the only thing that's different from any other division 1 football school - you're recruiting for an education and playing the game - doesn't involve military service at other division 1 schools. I'm not sure if that will translate into a negative opinion at some point, but I doubt it, because as soon as this year's group of seniors graduates, they're not going to have a similar season again, until they can develop a similar set of players.

Army - not about that - business - it's just football. I might even feel bad for them, a bit, because they're not going to win against Navy again this year. But I don't.

Army (West Point) is about one thing (creating Platoon Leaders) and everything else is second. That alone is different from the other two academies. Navy and Air Force grads have many different options that do not include leading platoons (some do - ie Naval Grads that join the USMC etc. ). From experience, there is zero preferential treatment at West Point for athletes when it comes to academics. I have my own theories on why West Point athletics have underperformed since the wars began.

Redding Husky

UConn & SMU alum
Reaction Score
The venue and atmosphere are fantastic. My first college football game was Army-Air Force on a perfect Fall day with the foliage at its peak.

It's almost a religious experience.

Reaction Score
Army (West Point) is about one thing (creating Platoon Leaders) and everything else is second. That alone is different from the other two academies. Navy and Air Force grads have many different options that do not include leading platoons (some do - ie Naval Grads that join the USMC etc. ). From experience, there is zero preferential treatment at West Point for athletes when it comes to academics. I have my own theories on why West Point athletics have underperformed since the wars began.

No argument ftom me on this.

Reaction Score

I'd rather the military make sure their grads do their military jobs well than play football well, as I'm sure anyone else in this country prefers. You are spot on Whale about everything else second after their military officer training.

My dad being a West Point alumnus has offered me plenty of insight about cadet life. If they put well rested players on the field with a strength and conditioning program geared towards football and not PT with football training on top of it, you'd obviously see a much different product. Fatigue and week to week Army West Point obligations are as important for cadet/athletes as they are for non-athletes. In my mind this is a big factor in why it feels like you see Army West Point almost upset a ranked team one week, only to lose to an FCS team the next every year.

Although I think Army West Point would do well to continue to work on their athletic department branding to make sure they can continue to attract great officers to the academy.

Reaction Score
It must be about the atmosphere at West Point because there were like 4k Army fans at our game vs them at Yankee Stadium outside of cadets.

Reaction Score
Could there be a video of that somewhere? Did they have video back then?

BTW check this out if you heven't seen it!

No, there was no video back then. I remember the old Brownie camera we had. Wish we had the video of that. It would be priceless, except for my dad trying to forget my adventures in those days. I broke away from my folks another time and went into a building on the grounds where i went into a room where Paul Dietzel was sitting at a desk and ask "can I help you son". I just ran out the door.

Reaction Score
The Army has millions and millions of former members. Heck., they have more than half a million current members.

Reaction Score
The Army has millions and millions of former members. Heck., they have more than half a million current members.

And, circling back to the original note, likely does not help that places like Duke are not far from major Army bases (Ft. Bragg is maybe 2 hours away by car from Duke). Army more so that any other university (even Navy as they tend to be concentrated along the coasts for obvious reasons) has Alumni (those who went to West Point and those who did not) across the nation. In terms of a national footprint, the only comparable school is likely ND as many Catholics view ND as their school, even if they did not go to South Bend.

Reaction Score
For many years I took Cub Scouts and Boy Scouts to the annual Scout Day game. It's much more than just watching the game.

Tours of the grounds are arranged if the units desire. They are led by the cadets who give a brief history of West Point. Then there is the Cadets on parade. If you have not seen this, it is magnificent to watch as the Corps parades out from the dorms in full dress uniform. Add to that the West Point Band playing and it is truly a great experience.

And as others have said, the tradition of Army football is unparalleled in college sports. There is nothing like fall football, on the Hudson.
Did the exact same thing when I was a scout over 30 years ago (saw Marino light up the cadets)... went back with my son a couple years ago and still had the same reaction. everything about the USMA commands respect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom