• pe-CAHN

Votes: 34 47.2%
  • Another way

Votes: 5 6.9%

• Total voters

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If you chose "another way", how do you pronounce it?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I had to select "another way". I don't think I am consistent with this one. Partly because folks in my life have pronounced it differently.

puh-CAHN - or something like it was my Grandmother. PEE -cann or pee-CANN - more the first one, I think, usually in conversation. Pe-CAHN seems natural.

That's the problem when you both grow up with different pronunciations and don't say it often (I don't eat them).

There are a lot of Pecan Trees near Tucson and in the southwest in general, FWIW.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
If you chose "another way", how do you pronounce it?

Proper pronunciation is pick-AHN.

If you pronounce it as PEE-can, then you are probably from the Northeast, northeastern part of Pennsylvania and most of New Jersery, and the Atlantic shore areas of North Carolina and Virginia.

If you pronounce it as PEE-kahn, then you are probably from Northern Wisconsin and Northeast Minnesota. Also you would be a Yooper.

Those who use the correct pronunciation (pick-AHN) are from Louisiana, southern Mississippi, southern Arkansas, most of northern Texas and most all of Oklahoma, and on the border of southeast Missouri and southwest Illinois.

Everyone else says pee-KAHN.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I'm just terrible. I alternate between PE-can and pe-Cahn. Schizophrenia is a helluva thing. For instance, when eating them out of a bottle, can or bowl I say PE-cans. When it's in a pie or such I say pe-Cahn, actually pick-Cahn.

Reaction Score
There is no "h" in pecan, why pronounce the word as if there is.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
There is no "h" in pecan, why pronounce the word as if there is.
It is the American version of the English language which is rife with strangeness and inconsistencies.

Reaction Score
It is the American version of the English language which is rife with strangeness and inconsistencies.
I wholeheartedly agree, but strangeness aside, given the regional differences in pronunciation, it seems to me that there is as much inconsistency among the people as in the language.
Interesting that the correct pronunciation is not necessarily the one that most closely approximates the spelling.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score

I think that is reported incorrectly (or it's the results of faulty research). It has all of New England saying PE-can, which I never heard till I moved south. I grew up saying pe-CAN, as did virtually everyone I grew up with. As you got further into northern New England, there was some pe-CAHN, which is also common in the southern Atlantic states. But in the years I spent in Connecticut and Maine, I never heard a native put the accent on the first syllable.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

That is why English as a second language is so hard for folks to learn. Words like since, sense and cents drive them crazy. As do words like There, their and they're. There are some folks that use English as their FIRST language, that are still working on those. Not to mention read and read depending on the context. :D

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I checked #2 but now after some natural practice...its PE-can.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score

The British would wholeheartedly disagree that we speak English in the U.S.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
The British would wholeheartedly disagree that we speak English in the U.S.
Who cares? They are still bitter about Yorktown.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom