How Do You Motivate A Group That's Done Everything? | The Boneyard

How Do You Motivate A Group That's Done Everything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They're 19 and most of them have a Big East Tournament ring and an NCAA ring. How do you motivate them? Big East Regular Season title? Back to back? Those are great, but it's a tough sell to a group of kids.

Maybe the only way this team can learn anything is through failure.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
sitting them may be the only answer, although I think their competitive juices are still flowing

it's time to learn the system

maybe their "late season" success last year has made them a tad bit complacent, or maybe they believed their hype would win those easy games

Reaction Score
They're 19 and most of them have a Big East Tournament ring and an NCAA ring. How do you motivate them? Big East Regular Season title? Back to back? Those are great, but it's a tough sell to a group of kids.

This is probably the single biggest problem. There is a reason that only one team has repeated in forever, and that was a team of seniors.

Reaction Score
They haven't been drafted by any NBA franchises, so far. If they win another championship, that would help their stock rise even more. One or two picks makes a huge difference in pay scale.

Reaction Score
In hindsight I wished coach had let AO play through some of his mistakes early in the season. If we can find a way to reduce our turnovers and tighten up our D we can still be a dangerous team.

Reaction Score
They haven't won without Kemba Walker. That should be significant motivation for them.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
They haven't won without Kemba Walker. That should be significant motivation for them.

It would have been, except all the press about the team was that despite losing him, they'd be an even deeper team.

Reaction Score
I think that, no matter how much you tell them in the offseason, these kids can't prepare for the effort that teams are going to bring against the "defending national champs" every night. I think it's caught them a little off guard at how some of the "littler" teams have played up against them.

You have JC and Blaney on the bench. You have Ollie who's been around the block, you have Freeman who's experience the National Title hangover first hand. I am not concerned about them one bit right now.

Reaction Score
Well, in the the case of Alex Oriakhi, he is literally costing himself millions of dollars with his play so far this season. That should be some motivation.

Reaction Score
There's also an inner and subtle incentive to excel call "pride". I hope I haven't seen the WTF or lack of motivation attitude slowly creeping into their play instead. These weeks seem to fly by, so any improvement in the collective play better be apparent within 4-6 weeks.

Reaction Score
Well, in the the case of Alex Oriakhi, he is literally costing himself millions of dollars with his play so far this season. That should be some motivation.
I think Alex can still be a valuable contributor to this team but I stopped thinking long ago that he was an NBA talent

Reaction Score
I think Alex can still be a valuable contributor to this team but I stopped thinking long ago that he was an NBA talent

He certainly looked like an NBA player at times last season, but it seems like he's not getting off the floor as well as he did last year. He's 6'8 or 6'9, jumps pretty well, and is pretty strong, so I think he can play in the league if he gets better in the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom