How do you feel about telecommuting? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How do you feel about telecommuting?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
From the very first time I heard of it, it was something I always thought would be the greatest thing in the world. Going to work with all the comforts of home - how could that not be ideal? 4 weeks in and I'm finding I absolutely hate it. It was nice for maybe 3 days, but now I can't wait to get back to the office. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra time with my wife, kids, niece, nephew, and pets, but the work side of it has serious drawbacks. Everything is far more stressful, it's tougher to concentrate, and you never really feel like the work day is over.

Is working from home losing its luster for anyone else?

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
This is my first time ever telecommuting and I have a pretty easy environment. It's just my wife and I in the house and I already had my dedicated office/man cave, so I don't have to deal with the distractions some of you have. So far, I like it, but definitely find myself working more hours. I work in IT and my teams are responsible for providing a lot of the work from home technologies so we've been really taxed with extra work to get the systems upgraded to support thousands of users. Hopefully once we settle in, it will get easier and I can get back to regular work hours.

One thing I can suggest: I have a really close friend who has telecommuted for years and she shared with me really great tips about not getting stuck in a funk. Get up every morning like you are going to work, shower, dress, get coffee - whatever you would normally do to go into the office before you sit down and start your work day. Leave your work area and eat lunch like a normal person. Try to actually sign out and leave your work area again at the end of the day. Those things make a huge difference and you won't find yourself in three day old clothes, unshowered with dishes and glasses spread around your work area.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Loving it.

I've had some level of working remote for past decade but this is my longest full time.
Like @Waquoit I had a longer commute so the extra sleep in the morning is a joy.
Currently have 2 HS kids taking classes via Zoom. They love it too.
I have a desk and a second monitor to simulate a decent work environment.
Often times while I'm at my desk at work I'm surfing the net so this is no big change.
We use Skype for Business for group meetings. I tried to video call someone last week and couldn't figure out how to do it. Called our IT guy and he calmly explained my computer doesn't even have a camera. I didn't feel bad. I've been with company for about 1 1/2 years and never needed the camera.
The team I work with provides training and customer support and we are using this time to update our material from power point to Adobe Captivate. Captivate blows.
Definitely eating too much but I do getup throughout the day and have been doing yard work sporadically.
To save network bandwidth we are supposed to get online in he morning, get files off sharepoints, check mail/messages and get off network and work offline. I listen to some tunes during the day. If anyone on the team needs to get in touch we talk over phone and get back online if needed.
I'm hoping this work situation opens up more teleworking for my group. I'd settle for one day a week from or one week a month. We can easily manage within our team and there is no loss of productivity.

Reaction Score
Love it, we're both working from home, 100 percent remote. It beats the drive to and from work, the lunch process, everything.

You tend to work more hours at times, but if you have a good manager and get work done, they don't give you a hard time when your not logged in

Everyone on my team is remote, south, midwest, central and west coast.

I don't want to ever go back to work in an office building

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This made me laugh out loud. I had this exact conversation with one of our IT guys about a year ago.

I just figured every laptop had a camera. With my previous job we had an unofficial put a post it note over it if you aren't using the camera policy.
Really odd was me being almost positive I had done video chats in my current job.

Reaction Score
I’ve always worked at least one day a week at home. In the past it was a super productive day to get a lot of heads down work done. The issue is now everyone is home. My wife and I both work, manage teams and have two young kids (under 3). A lot to juggle. I feel for working parents with young kids. Not easy.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
True story today.

Co-worker sends a text message to me and a buddy asking if we have any pictures of a piece of a newer piece of test equipment.

I texted back I had some on my computer and to give me 5-10 minutes to log on and send it to him.

I log on and send him some pics.

He IM's me back and says the pics I sent weren't what he was looking for. He also included a picture of the test kit with the whole kit laid out on a table and each piece of equipment labeled.

I was confused. So, I messaged him back asking what else did he expect us to have since he had the whole kit, each individual piece shown, and part numbers and part ID's visible.

He took a few minutes to say he was all good.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
I have been working from home for 12 years and love it. You are right that the work day is extended but like in the office you must be disciplined about picking your time to work. I average 20 hours a week and that is pretty steady. I have always been an early riser so am up at 530 and will work either until my 7 pm tee time (takes me 5 minutes to get to the course of until my wife gets up at 9 . When I am not playing golf ( I play Tuesday, Thursday Saturday) I have breakfast with my wife then work until 10-11 when I either go for a run or a bike. I come home and work from 2-4 or 5 and then either cocktail hour or spin class.
'cocktail hour or and spin class.'
ftfy. lol.

Reaction Score
Not you 68? Yes it is admit it. But not worth it ya know!

Hope you're well pal stay safe!
I hit a bucket around the 1st of March (whenever it was 55-60), and signed up for a pro shop side game the next weekend, but chickened out. I check too many boxes in the at risk group. My wife and I are ok, and we are mostly just staying home.
Hang in there buddy, it will be golf soon enough. Sorry you have to work through this.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
Sadly out of work though we did have a meeting last week to talk about when I might be back. My guess is not until May from what I gathered.

Reaction Score
Turns everyday into an endless work session for me. Groundhog Day every day. No boundaries at all. People calling until 10 at night.

Reaction Score
From the very first time I heard of it, it was something I always thought would be the greatest thing in the world. Going to work with all the comforts of home - how could that not be ideal? 4 weeks in and I'm finding I absolutely hate it. It was nice for maybe 3 days, but now I can't wait to get back to the office. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra time with my wife, kids, niece, nephew, and pets, but the work side of it has serious drawbacks. Everything is far more stressful, it's tougher to concentrate, and you never really feel like the work day is over.

Is working from home losing its luster for anyone else?

I worked in various contract and at home jobs for 3 of last 4 years. Absolutely hated it.

You lose routine and balance. Your home can’t be your work, especially with family around. Journalists is a little easier since you are just calling peole and writing stories. Now that I am in corporate world?

It can suck. Webex to Webex to Webex. Email then slack then Skype ping.

my suggestion is keep routine and shower before you turn on the computer. And, move around to different spaces. Don’t turn on the tv in the background either. Dedicate that as work time. And when that is done, shut it off.

Reaction Score
Love it, hated going to an office and open-plan offices are the worst thing ever created.

I could see people not liking it if they have annoying wives/big families.

Lol. Open plans are awful. Really makes you feel small.i think it hurts morale.

Reaction Score
They disabled our cameras since it was using too much bandwidth lol. Not complaining though.
Our company did the same which was good news for me. They want everybody to use their cameras. The policy is so that we get to know each other but in reality it is to prevent people from doing other things and not paying attention during a meeting. Most people claim to be multi-tasking which is a fallacy. We are big users of Skype as well which most people use way too much since most people are impatient and can't wait for an email answer. It is not unusual to receive multiple instant messages on the same subject from multiple people during a meeting.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I just figured every laptop had a camera. With my previous job we had an unofficial put a post it note over it if you aren't using the camera policy.
Really odd was me being almost positive I had done video chats in my current job.

Most do. I bought a nice Logitech 92C anyway. 1080p and much better than the built in ones. Cost me $65. I keep my laptop closed and have a dual monitor setup home and the office. I have a usb headset but bought AirPods to use as they as much more comfortable and less visible. Struggling to get the AirPods to work with Zoom or Skype.

Reaction Score
Most do. I bought a nice Logitech 92C anyway. 1080p and much better than the built in ones. Cost me $65. I keep my laptop closed and have a dual monitor setup home and the office. I have a usb headset but bought AirPods to use as they as much more comfortable and less visible. Struggling to get the AirPods to work with Zoom or Skype.
Husky - I just use the alt dial in and mute the speaker/mic on the session. The AirPods don’t keep flipping in and out of mode. Plus, it’s a better audio connection.

Reaction Score
Obviously works better for some jobs than others. I’m doing IT work from home for last 5 yrs. some things I do to make it feel more like an office?

At lunchtime, I go to the “cafeteria”. I take my walks around the block in the “fitness center”. And when I have a really important B.usiness M.eeting, I go to my “conference room”

Reaction Score
This is my first time ever telecommuting and I have a pretty easy environment. It's just my wife and I in the house and I already had my dedicated office/man cave, so I don't have to deal with the distractions some of you have. So far, I like it, but definitely find myself working more hours. I work in IT and my teams are responsible for providing a lot of the work from home technologies so we've been really taxed with extra work to get the systems upgraded to support thousands of users. Hopefully once we settle in, it will get easier and I can get back to regular work hours.

One thing I can suggest: I have a really close friend who has telecommuted for years and she shared with me really great tips about not getting stuck in a funk. Get up every morning like you are going to work, shower, dress, get coffee - whatever you would normally do to go into the office before you sit down and start your work day. Leave your work area and eat lunch like a normal person. Try to actually sign out and leave your work area again at the end of the day. Those things make a huge difference and you won't find yourself in three day old clothes, unshowered with dishes and glasses spread around your work area.

I roll out of bed at 7:20, brush my teeth and log on at 7:30.

I'll "usually" shower at some point in the day. I haven't shaved in 3 weeks.

I've worn the same ratty pair of jeans and I will change my t-shirt every couple days.

I've recently been contemplating cutting my own hair. Maybe even shaving my head.

Reaction Score
I hate it. I like home being home and work being work. I don’t like to co-mingle the two. I need somewhere to go, human interaction, etc. I hate this and can’t wait to get back to a normal routine.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Husky - I just use the alt dial in and mute the speaker/mic on the session. The AirPods don’t keep flipping in and out of mode. Plus, it’s a better audio connection.

Yeah, I have tried that. My challenge there is that I use bluetooth hearing aids, and my phone overrides my choice to use the airpods and routes the audio to my hearing aids. I'm still at a loss for why the sound does not come through them on the PC. It's complete silence, yet my microphone works fine.

Reaction Score
I roll out of bed at 7:20, brush my teeth and log on at 7:30.

I'll "usually" shower at some point in the day. I haven't shaved in 3 weeks.

I've worn the same ratty pair of jeans and I will change my t-shirt every couple days.

I've recently been contemplating cutting my own hair. Maybe even shaving my head.
So you're telling me if I do this all the time I'll be smelly, hygiene challenged and not care at all what I look like? Give me back my office!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom