How do you feel about telecommuting? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How do you feel about telecommuting?

joober jones

Finally Non-Fat Guy
Reaction Score
From the very first time I heard of it, it was something I always thought would be the greatest thing in the world. Going to work with all the comforts of home - how could that not be ideal? 4 weeks in and I'm finding I absolutely hate it. It was nice for maybe 3 days, but now I can't wait to get back to the office. Don't get me wrong, I love the extra time with my wife, kids, niece, nephew, and pets, but the work side of it has serious drawbacks. Everything is far more stressful, it's tougher to concentrate, and you never really feel like the work day is over.

Is working from home losing its luster for anyone else?

Reaction Score
So you're telling me if I do this all the time I'll be smelly, hygiene challenged and not care at all what I look like? Give me back my office!

One of the upsides of this experience is that I've grown an absolutely unreal 70s era mustache. My wife has stopped trying to hide her revulsion at this point and has simply started begging me to shave.

Reaction Score
I roll out of bed at 7:20, brush my teeth and log on at 7:30.

I'll "usually" shower at some point in the day. I haven't shaved in 3 weeks.

I've worn the same ratty pair of jeans and I will change my t-shirt every couple days.

I've recently been contemplating cutting my own hair. Maybe even shaving my head.
Don't, I like your Michael Bolton clone look.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I have tried that. My challenge there is that I use bluetooth hearing aids, and my phone overrides my choice to use the airpods and routes the audio to my hearing aids. I'm still at a loss for why the sound does not come through them on the PC. It's complete silence, yet my microphone works fine.
Yeah, that’s a problem. One option is go to the Bluetooth settings on your computer and remove the hearing aids as a paired device. I suppose you tried that already, but just in case, that’s one option.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, that’s a problem. One option is go to the Bluetooth settings on your computer and remove the hearing aids as a paired device. I suppose you tried that already, but just in case, that’s one option.

They are only paired to my phone, but on calls it switches back to them and not the airpods and I can't seem to stop it. Just wish I could get them to work via the PC.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Oh it's a blast! I make pretty pictures all day!
HREM_SID8657_Shh_SP7_E14_5_Z4Mut_No_Ext_voxels_colored.jpg

The only problem... Appears as if the frau is Covid positive. Got a big place, and a separate zone for her, but it's ugly and moving into oh dark hundred. (Irony - she complained endlessly that I'd give it to her but it appears she caught all by herself from a post doc in the lab.)

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
One of the upsides of this experience is that I've grown an absolutely unreal 70s era mustache. My wife has stopped trying to hide her revulsion at this point and has simply started begging me to shave.
pics or it aint so

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I roll out of bed at 7:20, brush my teeth and log on at 7:30.

I'll "usually" shower at some point in the day. I haven't shaved in 3 weeks.

I've worn the same ratty pair of jeans and I will change my t-shirt every couple days.

I've recently been contemplating cutting my own hair. Maybe even shaving my head.

I woke up a bit early this morning and felt refreshed. Hopped in shower, put on some clean clothes and poured a cup of coffee. It was 6:30 and I felt like I was already 3 hours ahead of the day.

Reaction Score
Just finished my first week teaching middle school math. Most of the time is teaching on Zoom while I'm screen sharing notes and worked examples. After that, students work on stuff and then video chat if they have questions, etc.

I'm a curriculum leader and I'm trying to get others on board with relaxing assessments unless they are something like project-based or partner work.

Probably because I'm processing things differently, but I've found these days much more taxing than a typical day at school. Also, I'm so used to moving around at work, so that's a weird adjustment but all I can do is make the best of it.

For you working parents out there, major applause for y'all. I can't imagine what it's like working from home while having someone's existence solely dependent on you.

One of my co-workers is a first-time mom and has a six-month old at home. She's having a really difficult time with managing being a mom with the expectations of providing synchronistic work with the kids.

Anyways, it's the weekend, and you've all earned it. Stay well!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We’ve been super busy - I’ve been on Zoom meetings from start of business to close. Yes, Zoom stinks. I work for a start up and what was interesting prior to this is that we had a terrible conference call culture - if someone was on the phone, we would ignore them. So it’s been good that we’ve had to evolve.

It’s just me, a 14 YO, 2 dogs, and a cat. So it’s pretty peaceful.

My only issue is my next door neighbor who has like 6 kids. He has been obsessively mowing his lawn for the last 2 weeks because he can’t leave his house really and inside there are 6 kids (and they all seem to be under 10). If he’s mowing the lawn, they all seem to be inside, so it’s the only time he seems to get peace. So he’s mowing every day. It’s starting to get annoying because it’s April 3 and no one has that much grass yet.

He also does it in the rain.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom