How do you feel about our team now? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How do you feel about our team now?

Reaction Score
@Charliebball with all due respect you are trying too hard for an explanation of the recent increased negativity, where no reasonable explanation exists. I'm simply not buying the two most recent explanation of "recent posters" or "statistically driven" fans. By any measure, (statistical or eye test) these UCONN teams play overwhelming beautiful, enjoyable and artistic basketball. There will always be room for improvement in the game of basketball. To dwell on those areas that need improvement in every stinking game for every player is to not as @oldude is suggesting "smell the roses".
Bravo!

Reaction Score
I feel the same way geno does. On one of the geno shows he says, if i play my best 6 players the rest of the season we will go undefeated and win the national championship, and thats exactly what he's going to do. Only a fool would do anything differently, which is why uconn has 11 NCs with 12 coming in a few weeks.

Reaction Score
Although I enjoyed the atmosphere, the crowd and students participation while never had a doubt about the outcome I felt disappointed, I was hoping to see a good 7 player rotation in preparation for the tournament. Instead I saw of a possible repeat of last year at the FF where 2 important players were way off their game(Kia & Dangerfield) and the only bench player (Azura) was so tense she couldn’t handle the pressure.
Although Azura did recover somewhat she kept taking threes instead of passing the ball or getting in the post where she belongs. Dangerfield obviously didn’t have her shot, which can happens to the best, but she was needed in the 4th qtr only to pass the ball to kill the clock rather than insisting in taking wild shots. Geno finally yank her out.
We all know Geno scheduled these type of games to flush out the weakness, but still we cannot feel too comfortable. I have my FF tickets and I am very confident we will make it there, but not to sure about the last big step.

I could not help but come back to the original post after reading all of the well-composed and passionate replies. Clearly, it only took one question and not a lot of probing to find perhaps the most sensitive subject one could post on the BY... critiquing the team after a big win!
I believe it was Charlieball in one of his replies that asked how we might keep potential sinners from doing so. I suggest that potential hair-trigger negative posters use the time-old recommended "count to ten" and then if the urge continues to employ the firm advice of Archie Bunker and "Stifle yourself, Edith!"

Reaction Score
This thread seems to be a bifurcated view of black/white perspective, when in fact there is really a lot of gray.
1. Frenchy did start the thread off by what could be perceived as "black" with the non-perfect 40 minute game. I don't think he's wrong and maybe the tone was not in the "perfect" form and conveyed more negativity than intended or maybe more negativity was perceived.
2. Some other long time and well respected members offer their view of what did not go perfect after the first quarter and these comments were also perceived as "black".
3. Passionate and logical members then opined the counter points to the "black" and by pointing these out, taking a more "gray scape" into a "black/white" view.

So that said, here's my perspective of the anticipated showdown of the #4 Team with two outstanding players in Durr and Hines-Allen, a great young coach with 1st hand knowledge of the UConn aura, a passionate fan base and some pretty good role/supporting players.
1. The first quarter showed unbelievable energy by the two team and crowd and even ESPN with their efforts to "promote the game". Kia was magnificent on Durr and KLS either made the shot when given the ball or made the right pass to get it to the open player. This despite being hockey checked every time!
2. Louisville took the right time-outs to quell as best they could the run. The second quarter saw a more consistent Louisville half court offense (minimal turnovers) that restricted the transition points UConn leveraged in Q1.
3. Z came into the game and far too many UConn players tried to get her involved as she is a great talent but the passes and positioning were forced and it then stalled the normal fluidity we had in Q1.
4. As noted in another thread when Geno made the comment about the team needing to get Stewie touches, the same here for this team, they NEED TO GET KLS TOUCHES!!! When she touches the ball in the offense, great things happen and after the 15 minute mark, those touches went way down.
5. In the 2nd half, too many hoisted 3s by Z, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa and some questionable passing by Gabby/Pheesa led to empty possessions. Durr also did a better job shooting-she is a stud after all and worthy of POY consideration. Not only did she score but she also guarded Nurse and KLS rendering zero open looks for Kia (pause here for Kia who did not force any shots, I think was 0-1 in 3pters). Hines-Allen also put in a great effort on the defensive end and without KLS touching the ball, we became stagnant.
6. While we see what this team has for talent and how Geno, CD (shout out to our HOF Assistant!!!) and the rest of the staff, we also are bearing the burden OF OUR EXPECTATIONS from last year when despite the glorious ride, we kept pointing to this year with Z, Batouly and the bevy of star freshman and how dominant we would be. We even had so many fandoms of opposing teams saying it with regularity. We even predicted this team would or could be the greatest ever.

Now with those 6 points out there- This team is phenomenal and is in better position than most but the Senior year team of Stewie/Jefferson/Tuck for winning a NC. That 2015-16 team was pre-ordained to win going away and did.

Greatness is never appreciated during it's time as we are too close to it. Maya's teams as noted had many ups and downs yet, here we talk about them in reverence. The TASS force team also had some close wins during their senior year 9, 14, 14 and 12 points in the final against an Oklahoma team with minimal AA's on it. Yet, that team is revered mightily, and justifiably so. This team for all our picayune identification of flaws, still is on track for possible greatness.

Humbly submitted-DefenseBB
#3 spot on

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I'm going to follow UCMiami and totally agree with her post. We root for a dynasty that has given untold memories of greatness. The list of legendary players is more than any other program. UConn Women's Basketball is the standard.

No team is perfect and we all know it. We take out the #4 team in the country, a very good team I will add, and people complain. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
I feel fine about the team now; why shouldn't I?

The amount of "chicken littles" here seems to be increasing. I wonder if Geno and his staff analyze every minute detail as much as we do. I trust them to do their jobs. I don't understand the worrying and the negativity. These are college-age girls playing a GAME. They're not curing cancer or fighting wars. This is entertainment for us. I have enough to wring my hands and clutch my pearls over in "real" life. I'd rather enjoy every player, and every win. If we take home the trophy this year - fantastic! If we don't - oh well, there's always next year.

Yes - I know - I'm voicing an unpopular opinion which I know I'll be called out for..lol. Have at it.
This thread seems to be a bifurcated view of black/white perspective, when in fact there is really a lot of gray.
1. Frenchy did start the thread off by what could be perceived as "black" with the non-perfect 40 minute game. I don't think he's wrong and maybe the tone was not in the "perfect" form and conveyed more negativity than intended or maybe more negativity was perceived.
2. Some other long time and well respected members offer their view of what did not go perfect after the first quarter and these comments were also perceived as "black".
3. Passionate and logical members then opined the counter points to the "black" and by pointing these out, taking a more "gray scape" into a "black/white" view.

So that said, here's my perspective of the anticipated showdown of the #4 Team with two outstanding players in Durr and Hines-Allen, a great young coach with 1st hand knowledge of the UConn aura, a passionate fan base and some pretty good role/supporting players.
1. The first quarter showed unbelievable energy by the two team and crowd and even ESPN with their efforts to "promote the game". Kia was magnificent on Durr and KLS either made the shot when given the ball or made the right pass to get it to the open player. This despite being hockey checked every time!
2. Louisville took the right time-outs to quell as best they could the run. The second quarter saw a more consistent Louisville half court offense (minimal turnovers) that restricted the transition points UConn leveraged in Q1.
3. Z came into the game and far too many UConn players tried to get her involved as she is a great talent but the passes and positioning were forced and it then stalled the normal fluidity we had in Q1.
4. As noted in another thread when Geno made the comment about the team needing to get Stewie touches, the same here for this team, they NEED TO GET KLS TOUCHES!!! When she touches the ball in the offense, great things happen and after the 15 minute mark, those touches went way down.
5. In the 2nd half, too many hoisted 3s by Z, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa and some questionable passing by Gabby/Pheesa led to empty possessions. Durr also did a better job shooting-she is a stud after all and worthy of POY consideration. Not only did she score but she also guarded Nurse and KLS rendering zero open looks for Kia (pause here for Kia who did not force any shots, I think was 0-1 in 3pters). Hines-Allen also put in a great effort on the defensive end and without KLS touching the ball, we became stagnant.
6. While we see what this team has for talent and how Geno, CD (shout out to our HOF Assistant!!!) and the rest of the staff, we also are bearing the burden OF OUR EXPECTATIONS from last year when despite the glorious ride, we kept pointing to this year with Z, Batouly and the bevy of star freshman and how dominant we would be. We even had so many fandoms of opposing teams saying it with regularity. We even predicted this team would or could be the greatest ever.

Now with those 6 points out there- This team is phenomenal and is in better position than most but the Senior year team of Stewie/Jefferson/Tuck for winning a NC. That 2015-16 team was pre-ordained to win going away and did.

Greatness is never appreciated during it's time as we are too close to it. Maya's teams as noted had many ups and downs yet, here we talk about them in reverence. The TASS force team also had some close wins during their senior year 9, 14, 14 and 12 points in the final against an Oklahoma team with minimal AA's on it. Yet, that team is revered mightily, and justifiably so. This team for all our picayune identification of flaws, still is on track for possible greatness.

I agree with a lot of what your saying but #4 to me is the most essential.
KLS is what some might call a point forward. What she does with and is capable of with the ball is so special to watch. Her shooting (hardly ever questioned and rarely a bad shot), her passing which is phenomenal, her much, much stronger driving to the basket! And she's probably too unselfish!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
I don't disagree with you about what you'd like to see from AZ.
She has aways to go before she will be ready to do many of the things you brought up. But players have their own specific make ups and styles and I don't think even with another year (and she will and needs to stay for sure) that she will have a nasty streak.
Players don't change drastically or quickly. Especially playing here for Geno takes time. Last year doesn't really count so it's a bit more than half a season.
Bronx23

Tell Danger that

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Connie, UCONN was not outscored every quarter. They won the first two quarters. Frenchy, I don't remember Z taking any more than two three point attempts. Collier was the one taking too many three point attempts, especially that last one she took near the end of the game. However, it wound up not changing the outcome of the game. If they had made those shots no one would complain.

Reaction Score
I actually thought the game would be more like the last three quarters. We are going to see this team again in late march/early April & it will be a knock down event. While the game at Texas was a nail-biter, prior to the season, I thought this was the game we could most likely lose. Actually, we had total control of the game after the 1st quarter & did what we had to do to win the game. I also didn't expect the rotation in the game to be different than it was; Geno has always shortened the rotation in big games in the past.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I just watched and listened to the post game pressers by Geno, Jeff, Asia and KLS and a few things are reiterated for me:
1. I love the dynamic that Geno and Jeff have going. There is a respect there along with kidding/humor that I really enjoy. I have always been curious about Louisville going back to the Shoni Shimmel days and have enjoyed his game plan executions (Baylor anyone?) and his honest post game pressers with frank assessments. I know he takes a fair amount of heat for his Scholarship offers but the guy has been building a top notch program.
2. Geno was pleased with the game, so why should we be too concerned. He recognized a very good opponent and that they have plans to win and execute sound basketball and we can't always have our way.
3. KLS and Asia (Asia, as you can tell, was very, very tired from the game) were logical, poised and measured with their comments. Asia saying we have two choices, quit or get up and fight-very logical and measured response as exhibited by her responding with 20 pts, 14 in the second half. There was no edge in her voice or irritation.
4. I am looking forward to Louisville rooting for them to win the ACC and running through the NCAA Tourney. I would be very happy to see them in the Final Four as they have earned it.

Smile people, it's all good!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I just watched and listened to the post game pressers by Geno, Jeff, Asia and KLS and a few things are reiterated for me:
1. I love the dynamic that Geno and Jeff have going. There is a respect there along with kidding/humor that I really enjoy. I have always been curious about Louisville going back to the Shoni Shimmel days and have enjoyed his game plan executions (Baylor anyone?) and his honest post game pressers with frank assessments. I know he takes a fair amount of heat for his Scholarship offers but the guy has been building a top notch program.
2. Geno was pleased with the game, so why should we be too concerned. He recognized a very good opponent and that they have plans to win and execute sound basketball and we can't always have our way.
3. KLS and Asia (Asia, as you can tell, was very, very tired from the game) were logical, poised and measured with their comments. Asia saying we have two choices, quit or get up and fight-very logical and measured response as exhibited by her responding with 20 pts, 14 in the second half. There was no edge in her voice or irritation.
4. I am looking forward to Louisville rooting for them to win the ACC and running through the NCAA Tourney. I would be very happy to see them in the Final Four as they have earned it.
:eek: You are asking way too much here! You are rooting for Louisville and expect me to smile?

Not.jpg

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score

In reality, the only way Louisville can EARN a trip to the final four is to win four of the six games in the NCAA Tournament.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I could not help but come back to the original post after reading all of the well-composed and passionate replies. Clearly, it only took one question and not a lot of probing to find perhaps the most sensitive subject one could post on the BY... critiquing the team after a big win!
I believe it was Charlieball in one of his replies that asked how we might keep potential sinners from doing so. I suggest that potential hair-trigger negative posters use the time-old recommended "count to ten" and then if the urge continues to employ the firm advice of Archie Bunker and "Stifle yourself, Edith!"

Your comment gave me a chuckle. :D Since there are regular visitors and posters here with opinions and various angles of "perception", that's not going to happen. If you could view the Boneyard from a viewpoint of being able to see both ends of the spectrum, you'd be able to see those that thought last night's game was great. Those fans that think UConn is not where they would like them to be, but the starters are "in sync", and playing together at a very high and intense level. They saw their team shut down a highly talented top 5 team who has proven they can score and defend against most teams.

Don't forget, Louisville threw a blanket over Notre Dame recently, and handed the Irish their worst defeat in 10 years 100-67. They did something UConn could not do. UConn had to mount a 4th quarter comeback to win by 9 pts, 80-71. Those fans that can see this game for what it was, and what it exposed, and what Geno wanted to see. They came away with good feelings, and a good vibe about their team. There were some positives and negatives that were brought to light. But that is exactly what a game against a top 5 opponent was suppose to do. Is this team perfect?, No. It could be better, it could be worse.

Then you have the commenters on the other end of the spectrum that saw a completely different game. They only saw the second half of the game when UConn was not at their best. Regardless of the fact that UConn played so well in the first half, that they could get away with less than stellar play in the second 20 minutes and still win the game, which was their bottom line goal. They also fail to give Louisville credit for not quitting, making adjustments and continuing to compete hard and relentlessly. Some suggested that Louisville came away with a "moral" victory. That is for each observer to decide on his/her own.

There were reasons why UConn played differently in the second half. I don't need to re-warm that hash. We all know what those reasons are. All we're talking here is the difference in perception........is the glass half full, or half empty? I must admit that all of the comments here (IMO) do make for interesting reading. Some make valid realistic points, others.......................??? :confused:

I have to agree with bizarro aj who commented: "I feel the same way geno does. On one of the geno shows he says, if i play my best 6 players the rest of the season we will go undefeated and win the national championship, and thats exactly what he's going to do. Only a fool would do anything differently, which is why uconn has 11 NCs with 12 coming in a few weeks".

Sure, we all want the bench to become accountable and step up within the next two weeks, to support the starters, and give Geno more options (giving the starters a blow once in a while) during the upcoming tournaments. But if that does not happen, then Geno will have to go with his starting unit + Stevens, and ride them as far as they will take him, he'll have no other choice. If all you have are lemons, you make lemon-aide.

If they get tired, they'll have to play through it. Geno began conditioning them for these last 6 games back in October. They'll have the entire off season to rest. Gabby and Kia want to go out holding up that NC trophy. Geno also very much wants to win #12. We can depend on him to do EVERYTHING he can to achieve that goal, no holds barred, no stone unturned. No matter what he does (what buttons he pushes or levers he pulls), there are going to be posters that criticize his every move, even if those moves result in wins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
UConn wins the #1 overall seed and therefore realistically plays at most 2 really tough games (I know, Geno gets migraines before the elite 8 arguing that it's the toughest game, but still...). UConn's beaten TX, Louisville, and ND, but all 3 were struggles. Baylor and MissState with bigs that UConn has to figure out await as well. If history is a judge, there will be upsets and at least one other team will sneak into the FF. But right now, on paper at least, UConn will have to beat 2 out of those 5....

This could be epic! :) . Life's short: enjoy the ride!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In reality, the only way Louisville can EARN a trip to the final four is to win four of the six games in the NCAA Tournament.
Technically, win the first 4 games....2 of which at home and hopefully the 3rd/4th games in Lexington!

Reaction Score
In the early days of Uconn it is my less than humble opinion Geno would think: Any Win is a GOOD win---No loss is a good loss. Geno still hates to lose or even come close. This was NOT a close loss--Geno turned a rout into a practice session. Watch it again. If Geno did not want Z to shoot three's do you really think she'd be shooting threes? According to reported Geno words--she can't miss a 3 in practice. When she starts hitting, I'm sure, he is sure, she'll be looking like KLS.
When one looks at the quality ( or lack thereof ) of "Z's " three point shots in games ( like the full air ball yesterday), it is really hard to imagine that she never misses one in practice. It also may not matter. She may have in games, what is called " the yips." Like the all star baseball player who cannot throw from second to first, all of a sudden. It may be that something switches off in her head, when she braces up for a three point shot in a game. If she has " the yips," all the practice in the world will not help. She just has to stop attempting them.

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
For me what was evident were the following:
1) on fresh legs UCONN were their dominant self, Kia + Team defense was well prepared and gave themselves the early needed separation from Louisville, Just imagine if they didn't what might have happened. The energy was incredible early on in this game.
If you look at the Scoring by Quarter one could argue fatigue had its effect on UCONN as the game went along. So nothing new there, the coach and team are well aware of that issue. UCONN in previous years would not typically blow a large lead especially at home no matter who they were playing.
2) Gabby Williams is my 2018 player of the year, this young lady is phenomenal, It's simply amazing that after Kia tired herself running around trying to deny Asia Durr, that Geno would then switch Gabby, who had no rest at all during the game, to cover Asia. How incredible is that? She was everywhere and effective with her efforts throughout.
3) The only two players who played the full 40 mins Katie Lou & Gabby are tournament ready, along with Kia Nurse. Following closely behind are Napheessa And Crystal who are very close but not quite where they are capable of. Thankfully there is the remainder of regular season and Conference tournaments to fine tune those two. Z still has quite a ways to go, but even so can help rest players without taking them out of the game, by getting her more involved as they tried to do last night.

4) Loiusville is a dangerous team I wouldn't want to face them come tournament time.

Reaction Score

Well spoken. Thanks! I have been an avid fan (no, fanatic) of this program since the late 90’s. I admire Geno and Chris (newly Hof F Nominee) for their integrity in building a program where everyone is treaty equally and given a chance to succeed base on individual effort not just on talent. Maria Colon and Kelly Farris are just 2 of the many players who made it on this program based on grits and hard work. Some of these old (cranky) timers on this board are not capable to accept open discussions. Thanks to you there are still a few open minded individual willing objectively to speak about area of weakness needing improvement like one would talk to someone you care. Thanks.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score

Great post - critical but not negative. As a #7 to you comments:
7. At half time I believe Geno 'called off the dogs' in telling the team to bleed the clock on offense - basically realizing that if Uconn limited the Louisville possessions in the second half to somewhere around 30, they would not score enough to overcome the 20 point lead (as long as Uconn didn't completely disappear.) While Uconn still ran in transition if they had a chance, pretty much every other offensive possession took 20+ seconds. Unfortunately Uconn rather than getting good shots after 20 seconds ended up forcing some things - learning tool for future games. (Lou at least mentioned this in the post game if Geno didn't.)

And a bonus #8 - Walker had a couple of really good hand off screens to Lou in her limited minutes, both resulting in open shots and one of Lou's threes. She had great positioning on her screen and did not move an inch until after the ball was half way to the basket. She didn't get a lot of minutes but I did notice that 'good work'.

Reaction Score
I come away from the game extremely impressed. Some nights shots don't fall, its the nature of the game.
The one thing that always shows up with this team is a defense that smothers the other team.
This team scored a 100 points against ND and won 100-69. They scored 6 points in the 1st qtr against us.
We can be beaten, but I really think that's a remote possibility

Reaction Score
What this game confirmed for me after seeing it in the UCF game and some in the Texas game is that UConn struggles with it's half court offense. If Gabby cannot make the 15-ft jumper, it's only going to get worse. Last night they were 6-7 feet off her cutting off the passing lane. Many possessions she was the most open person on the court, but didn't (wouldn't) shoot. This is something that a few hundred shots in practice will fix. Hopefully.

On a little different note, I was happy to see Geno using his timeouts correctly to rest his players. He called one at the 5:06 mark knowing he would also get the TV timeout at the next stoppage of play. He did not do that earlier in the season.

All in all, I thought it was a good performance. The goal is to win the game and that's what UConn did. In 3 weeks winning is the only thing that matters. Winning by 1 or by 50 accomplishes the same thing ... advancing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom