How do you feel about our team now? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do you feel about our team now?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Meyers7 and Connie (got it right this time) - absolutely agree. I am finding it harder to participate on this board this year because of all the 'what is wrong with this team' posts about a 25-0 team that is playing some beautiful basketball. Seems posters have forgotten about the 5 less than perfect NCs, or the games like the Stanford NC game where Maya and Tina and their mates scored TWELVE points in the first half! going 5-29 from the field for 17%. That great 2002 team ... beat 23rd ranked VaTech by 9 scoring 59 total points.

It seems if Uconn loses a quarter or even a half the sky is falling these days, even when it happens against a top ten team when the team already has a 20 point lead. Against a team that beat ND by 33 a month ago.

Uconn, year after year gives us a glorious ride. Over the last 23 years no other team in sports has given its fans so much to celebrate and yet it never seems quite enough. 37 point MOV ... really should be closer to 40, 53% shooting ... you mean they miss 47% of their shots, 25-0 and 6-0 against top 10 teams ... yeah, but against one of those teams they only won by 9 and another they beat by only 11 and TX almost beat them losing by 4, etc.

I am not blind to issues with this team or any team Uconn fields, but for some reason Uconn WCBB is treated completely differently by their fan base than any other team in sports. The rarity of perfect seasons is not recognized as reality and the mantra of 'just win baby' is not a good enough standard. And that is a little sad, because this is a special team performing at a higher standard than any other team with a consistency unheard of in major sports.
image.jpg

Reaction Score
I'm in agreement with your assessment.....................this is one of the greatest runs in college basketball history, period....................I'm not standing up for the mote magnifiers but it's only human nature to criticize the small things when that's really all that there is to critique.................I get both sides here.................. analyzing what's working and what's not is what many sports fans do right? Other then acknowledging the greatness of the program what would you like folks to talk about that they are not doing at the present time? I think suggestions might steer the "sinners" in a better direction

Reaction Score
All of the hand-wringing that is displayed in our forum is truly laughable, and a reflection of how spoiled we are as fans of this remarkable program. First, to correct an oft-repeated falsehood on this thread, the Huskied most assuredly did NOT lose three of four quarters of the L’ville game. As Yogi Berra used to say, “You could look it up!” Second, if I were to tell anyone here 24 hrs. ago that in what was widely anticipated to be a very big game, our Huskies would effectively put an end to it in the very first quarter by going on a 24-1 run from which any hope of a comeback was rendered impossible, most wouldn’t have believed such an assertion. Had I then said that the dynamic of the game changed, as it usually does, after our team ran out, unbelievably, to a 20 point halftime lead, and still won comfortably by double digits, who wouldn’t have been thrilled by such a prospect? Is the team perfect? Nope. Does it display certain flaws? Natch. Is every team in WCBB flawed in some way? Duh... Our favorite team exhibits fewer of these than any other...that’s why they’re what, 25-0? I think I’m going to elect to just enjoy it for what it is.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
No deep insights. Every game has its own character. This one was interesting for reasons many have noted. Yes, Louisville won 3 out of 4 quarters.
Just 2 of 4:
Score by Periods 1st 2nd 3rd 4th Total
Louisville.................... 6 16 18 18 - 58
UCONN......................... 24 18 15 12 - 69​

I don't love the trend line. I think 'ville ends up taking a lot of confidence from this game.

Reaction Score
Z's inconsistent play gives me agita. She plays soft and gets pushed around a lot, IMO. She needs (as some others do) a nasty streak and some work in the weight room. There's little reason she shouldn't be a consistent force inside. And please, stop with the three-point attempts. Work on the 6-8' shots that could be her bread and butter.

She did step up some in the 4th quarter last night and I appreciated that effort but there's still more to her game she needs to work on.
I don't disagree with you about what you'd like to see from AZ.
She has aways to go before she will be ready to do many of the things you brought up. But players have their own specific make ups and styles and I don't think even with another year (and she will and needs to stay for sure) that she will have a nasty streak.
Players don't change drastically or quickly. Especially playing here for Geno takes time. Last year doesn't really count so it's a bit more than half a season.
Bronx23

Last edited:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
not sure what you are asking them not to do.....as far as I know the BY doesn't have a litmus test for basketball IQ.......yet......:eek:
BY doesn't need a litmus test for BB IQ. Lately, lack of BB IQ and negativity is demonstrated with a daily thread.

Reaction Score
I'm still waiting for something to click with Z. In fairness, Tina Charles didn't understand how dominant she could be until her 3rd year with Geno and co. You see flashes of Z's ability each game, but other times she's a 6'6" kid who plays small. Seems like such a nice kid and has all the skills to be dominant, but sometimes I wish she had a mean streak on the court.

Reaction Score
I feel fine about the team now; why shouldn't I?

The amount of "chicken littles" here seems to be increasing. I wonder if Geno and his staff analyze every minute detail as much as we do. I trust them to do their jobs. I don't understand the worrying and the negativity. These are college-age girls playing a GAME. They're not curing cancer or fighting wars. This is entertainment for us. I have enough to wring my hands and clutch my pearls over in "real" life. I'd rather enjoy every player, and every win. If we take home the trophy this year - fantastic! If we don't - oh well, there's always next year.

Yes - I know - I'm voicing an unpopular opinion which I know I'll be called out for..lol. Have at it.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
I'm in agreement with your assessment......this is one of the greatest runs in college basketball history, period.....I'm not standing up for the mote magnifiers but it's only human nature to criticize the small things when that's really all that there is to critique.......I get both sides here... analyzing what's working and what's not is what many sports fans do right? Other then acknowledging the greatness of the program what would you like folks to talk about that they are not doing at the present time? I think suggestions might steer the "sinners" in a better direction
Charlie - I agree that fans everywhere analyze and criticize and that is the whole reason for fan forums. This year just feels a little different here. Comments like: 'I'm disappoint ...' after the team beats a top 5 team after a game in which they were never threatened, or 'this team is not going to win an NC', or 'now I am worried about my FF tickets and whether I'll want to use them' seems to be a heavy dose of negativity. I am not sure there is a specific 'suggestion' I can make except to quote Oldude's new thread 'take some time to smell the roses.'

It seems that some fans are expecting guarantees instead of hope, and guarantees in any sport are unrealistic. We are so spoiled with 10 straight final fours when the previous streaks were at 5. It should still be seen as a challenge to reach a FF and not a birth right.

Reaction Score
BY doesn't need a litmus test for BB IQ. Lately, lack of BB IQ and negativity is demonstrated with a daily thread.

I know there are a few folks here that never have a positive take in the team's performance but I'm trying to get a handle on the difference between the countless discussions about the team's shortcomings on the BY and just plain negativity...............are they the same thing in your opinion?

Reaction Score
All of the hand-wringing that is displayed in our forum is truly laughable, and a reflection of how spoiled we are as fans of this remarkable program. First, to correct an oft-repeated falsehood on this thread, the Huskied most assuredly did NOT lose three of four quarters of the L’ville game. As Yogi Berra used to say, “You could look it up!” Second, if I were to tell anyone here 24 hrs. ago that in what was widely anticipated to be a very big game, our Huskies would effectively put an end to it in the very first quarter by going on a 24-1 run from which any hope of a comeback was rendered impossible, most wouldn’t have believed such an assertion. Had I then said that the dynamic of the game changed, as it usually does, after our team ran out, unbelievably, to a 20 point halftime lead, and still won comfortably by double digits, who wouldn’t have been thrilled by such a prospect? Is the team perfect? Nope. Does it display certain flaws? Natch. Is every team in WCBB flawed in some way? Duh... Our favorite team exhibits fewer of these than any other...that’s why they’re what, 25-0? I think I’m going to elect to just enjoy it for what it is.
Right on big petunia!
I'm relatively new here as a contributor but am struck by a few things. The expectations for the time and that they have to or should play 40 minutes of close to perfect basketball is absurd. It almost never happens especially playing essentially six players, and against a quality opponent. The other thing is the overhyping of some of our favorite players. Not being able to give them credit for their significant strengths and yet see their areas of weaknesses or those that need improvement.
Many here need to enjoy and savor the tremendous successes off this team over thirty plus years but even more so over the last 1 2/3 seasons. We lost the top three drafted players and then have lost one game. Isn't that just amazing and beyond anyone's reasonable expectations. This year and next year we will be losing essentially an AA team in Gabby, Kia, KLS, Pheesa, and AZ. No matter how well they recruit (and they have two very good ones coming in next year with the possibility of a third) it will be extremely difficult to duplicate what they have become and are. And if they somehow do so, some here still won't be satisfied.
Grow up! Chill out! Enjoy & Savor it!
Bronx23

Reaction Score
Charlie - I agree that fans everywhere analyze and criticize and that is the whole reason for fan forums. This year just feels a little different here. Comments like: 'I'm disappoint ...' after the team beats a top 5 team after a game in which they were never threatened, or 'this team is not going to win an NC', or 'now I am worried about my FF tickets and whether I'll want to use them' seems to be a heavy dose of negativity. I am not sure there is a specific 'suggestion' I can make except to quote Oldude's new thread 'take some time to smell the roses.'

It seems that some fans are expecting guarantees instead of hope, and guarantees in any sport are unrealistic. We are so spoiled with 10 straight final fours when the previous streaks were at 5. It should still be seen as a challenge to reach a FF and not a birth right.

Understood...................have you noticed whether most people who feel that way are newer fans? I sense that those that have only experienced the last four or five years as fans don't have a long term perspective regarding the program

Reaction Score
Exactly the same for the past 25 years. How many fans of women’s basketball can say the same?

1,347...................:rolleyes:.......sorry couldn't help myself............

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know there are a few folks here that never have a positive take in the team's performance but I'm trying to get a handle on the difference between the countless discussions about the team's shortcomings on the BY and just plain negativity.....are they the same thing in your opinion?
Like @UcMiami and many others I'm finding it harder and harder to distinguish. So my answer would be yes. It kicked into high gear with the FSU game a year ago. This kind of nitpicking and negativity should be reserved for degenerate gamblers that have actually lost money betting on these games. We keep winning and some how that's not enough. We keep playing beautiful individual and team basketball and that is still not enough. When someone can watch the game that Kia Nurse played last night and conclude that she played poorly- I highly question that posters BB IQ.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
This thread seems to be a bifurcated view of black/white perspective, when in fact there is really a lot of gray.
1. Frenchy did start the thread off by what could be perceived as "black" with the non-perfect 40 minute game. I don't think he's wrong and maybe the tone was not in the "perfect" form and conveyed more negativity than intended or maybe more negativity was perceived.
2. Some other long time and well respected members offer their view of what did not go perfect after the first quarter and these comments were also perceived as "black".
3. Passionate and logical members then opined the counter points to the "black" and by pointing these out, taking a more "gray scape" into a "black/white" view.

So that said, here's my perspective of the anticipated showdown of the #4 Team with two outstanding players in Durr and Hines-Allen, a great young coach with 1st hand knowledge of the UConn aura, a passionate fan base and some pretty good role/supporting players.
1. The first quarter showed unbelievable energy by the two team and crowd and even ESPN with their efforts to "promote the game". Kia was magnificent on Durr and KLS either made the shot when given the ball or made the right pass to get it to the open player. This despite being hockey checked every time!
2. Louisville took the right time-outs to quell as best they could the run. The second quarter saw a more consistent Louisville half court offense (minimal turnovers) that restricted the transition points UConn leveraged in Q1.
3. Z came into the game and far too many UConn players tried to get her involved as she is a great talent but the passes and positioning were forced and it then stalled the normal fluidity we had in Q1.
4. As noted in another thread when Geno made the comment about the team needing to get Stewie touches, the same here for this team, they NEED TO GET KLS TOUCHES!!! When she touches the ball in the offense, great things happen and after the 15 minute mark, those touches went way down.
5. In the 2nd half, too many hoisted 3s by Z, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa and some questionable passing by Gabby/Pheesa led to empty possessions. Durr also did a better job shooting-she is a stud after all and worthy of POY consideration. Not only did she score but she also guarded Nurse and KLS rendering zero open looks for Kia (pause here for Kia who did not force any shots, I think was 0-1 in 3pters). Hines-Allen also put in a great effort on the defensive end and without KLS touching the ball, we became stagnant.
6. While we see what this team has for talent and how Geno, CD (shout out to our HOF Assistant!!!) and the rest of the staff, we also are bearing the burden OF OUR EXPECTATIONS from last year when despite the glorious ride, we kept pointing to this year with Z, Batouly and the bevy of star freshman and how dominant we would be. We even had so many fandoms of opposing teams saying it with regularity. We even predicted this team would or could be the greatest ever.

Now with those 6 points out there- This team is phenomenal and is in better position than most but the Senior year team of Stewie/Jefferson/Tuck for winning a NC. That 2015-16 team was pre-ordained to win going away and did.

Greatness is never appreciated during it's time as we are too close to it. Maya's teams as noted had many ups and downs yet, here we talk about them in reverence. The TASS force team also had some close wins during their senior year 9, 14, 14 and 12 points in the final against an Oklahoma team with minimal AA's on it. Yet, that team is revered mightily, and justifiably so. This team for all our picayune identification of flaws, still is on track for possible greatness.

Humbly submitted-DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Like @UcMiami and many others I'm finding it harder and harder to distinguish. So my answer would be yes. It kicked into high gear with the FSU game a year ago. This kind of nitpicking and negativity should be reserved for degenerate gamblers that have actually lost money betting on these games. We keep winning and some how that's not enough. We keep playing beautiful individual and team basketball and that is still not enough. When someone can watch the game that Kia Nurse played last night and conclude that she played poorly- I highly question that posters BB IQ.

I think there are some folks here that are more statistically driven fans, they don't know or care that numbers don't always tell the whole story................the first thing I noticed when I joined this site was the absolute glee many took predicting that UConn would win a particular game by 40-50 points............... I admit that I used to take pleasure in that and have no problem with others that do.................now I'm no longer participating in MOV discussions other then to say that I hope they win, play well and come out with out injury.............that's going to be my mindset until the last minute of the last game this year whenever that comes............

Reaction Score
I agree with you.... we have been spoiled rotten by greatness but nobody sets higher expectations for his teams then Geno so many fans feel they have the right to follow suite.....

I believe this is an accurate observation. Right or wrong, I have a hard time understanding how fans assume that they have the right to have the same expectations as the coach. It tends to subtract from the full joy of what we have - a group of high-character young women, balancing academics and athletics and achieving at the highest level, being led by the most expert staff the country has seen.
For me, I choose to start the morning with a full cup of coffee rather than a half-empty one. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
Just $.02 worth...

If nothing else, there is something to be said for beating the #4 team in the country by double digits. Watching Kia guard Asia Durr was worth the price of admission. All the team did a good job in switching and guarding Durr. Watching Katie Lou and some of her baskets should have made every WBB fan sit up in their chair and marvel. Several times watching Gabby I just said "wow." She is amazing. I am hoping that Z will work her way into the paint for her shots but there were times last night when she was very impressive. Napheesa and Crystal were solid as was Megan, though their shots weren't falling like we are accustomed. I really thought that it was an impressive win by a team that in many ways didn't have their best night.

Bottom line. UConn by double digits over a team that scored 100 on ND and has lost only one other game this season.

Reaction Score
There’s one thing I believe we all miss about this team. For the most part, the Huskies continue to play without a true Center, except on those occasions when Z suddenly realizes that she’s 6’6” and commits to being a force inside.

So UConn doesn’t have a true rim protector like Stewie or a powerful offensive rebounder like Steph who could gather up missed shots for easy putbacks.

When UConn’s offense is flowing and the defense is relentless, it all looks easy, but it’s really very hard, depending on 5 players working together perfectly.

Give credit to Louisville for making some adjustments at half and giving UConn a battle in the 2nd half. It wasn’t going to affect the final outcome, but it does serve to demonstrate that this UConn team is vulnerable to a really good team, if the Huskies are not at their best.

Good point about still missing that big. I have to admit I was wrong in posts during off season about "no way AZ not starting over Crystal Dangerfield." I under estimated Crystal Dangerfield's desire to improve. However, I really think it came down to confidence and chemistry.

(Generally speaking) It's easy for us to sit with our devices and post opinions, but as talented as players like Z are, she is surrounded by other accomplished players who achieved and built a chemistry last year. It can be challenging to want to fit in, contribute and deal with the pressure as an established player who has transferred into the program.

Reaction Score
There’s one thing I believe we all miss about this team. For the most part, the Huskies continue to play without a true Center, except on those occasions when Z suddenly realizes that she’s 6’6” and commits to being a force inside.

So UConn doesn’t have a true rim protector like Stewie or a powerful offensive rebounder like Steph who could gather up missed shots for easy putbacks.

When UConn’s offense is flowing and the defense is relentless, it all looks easy, but it’s really very hard, depending on 5 players working together perfectly.

Give credit to Louisville for making some adjustments at half and giving UConn a battle in the 2nd half. It wasn’t going to affect the final outcome, but it does serve to demonstrate that this UConn team is vulnerable to a really good team, if the Huskies are not at their best.
Absolutely agree that UConn is vulnerable, especially to we-all-know-who. But there is almost no team, ever, in any sport that is not in some way vulnerable. Even the 2015-16 team was vulnerable. (Heck, in the 2015 final four we beat 7th seed Dayton by a "mere" 21 points, and were only up by 1 pt at halftime. And that UConn team was a monster.) For better or worse (I think better) this team is what it is. And it does no good wondering how "good" it could be with a reliable big. When the team we have--especially the starters--play at their best, they look every bit as unbeatable as any undefeated team in UConn history.

Reaction Score
This thread seems to be a bifurcated view of black/white perspective, when in fact there is really a lot of gray.
1. Frenchy did start the thread off by what could be perceived as "black" with the non-perfect 40 minute game. I don't think he's wrong and maybe the tone was not in the "perfect" form and conveyed more negativity than intended or maybe more negativity was perceived.
2. Some other long time and well respected members offer their view of what did not go perfect after the first quarter and these comments were also perceived as "black".
3. Passionate and logical members then opined the counter points to the "black" and by pointing these out, taking a more "gray scape" into a "black/white" view.

So that said, here's my perspective of the anticipated showdown of the #4 Team with two outstanding players in Durr and Hines-Allen, a great young coach with 1st hand knowledge of the UConn aura, a passionate fan base and some pretty good role/supporting players.
1. The first quarter showed unbelievable energy by the two team and crowd and even ESPN with their efforts to "promote the game". Kia was magnificent on Durr and KLS either made the shot when given the ball or made the right pass to get it to the open player. This despite being hockey checked every time!
2. Louisville took the right time-outs to quell as best they could the run. The second quarter saw a more consistent Louisville half court offense (minimal turnovers) that restricted the transition points UConn leveraged in Q1.
3. Z came into the game and far too many UConn players tried to get her involved as she is a great talent but the passes and positioning were forced and it then stalled the normal fluidity we had in Q1.
4. As noted in another thread when Geno made the comment about the team needing to get Stewie touches, the same here for this team, they NEED TO GET KLS TOUCHES!!! When she touches the ball in the offense, great things happen and after the 15 minute mark, those touches went way down.
5. In the 2nd half, too many hoisted 3s by Z, Crystal Dangerfield, Pheesa and some questionable passing by Gabby/Pheesa led to empty possessions. Durr also did a better job shooting-she is a stud after all and worthy of POY consideration. Not only did she score but she also guarded Nurse and KLS rendering zero open looks for Kia (pause here for Kia who did not force any shots, I think was 0-1 in 3pters). Hines-Allen also put in a great effort on the defensive end and without KLS touching the ball, we became stagnant.
6. While we see what this team has for talent and how Geno, CD (shout out to our HOF Assistant!!!) and the rest of the staff, we also are bearing the burden OF OUR EXPECTATIONS from last year when despite the glorious ride, we kept pointing to this year with Z, Batouly and the bevy of star freshman and how dominant we would be. We even had so many fandoms of opposing teams saying it with regularity. We even predicted this team would or could be the greatest ever.

Now with those 6 points out there- This team is phenomenal and is in better position than most but the Senior year team of Stewie/Jefferson/Tuck for winning a NC. That 2015-16 team was pre-ordained to win going away and did.

Greatness is never appreciated during it's time as we are too close to it. Maya's teams as noted had many ups and downs yet, here we talk about them in reverence. The TASS force team also had some close wins during their senior year 9, 14, 14 and 12 points in the final against an Oklahoma team with minimal AA's on it. Yet, that team is revered mightily, and justifiably so. This team for all our picayune identification of flaws, still is on track for possible greatness.

Humbly submitted-DefenseBB
Do NOT be humble. This is an absolutely fantastic post.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I think there are some folks here that are more statistically driven fans, they don't know or care that numbers don't always tell the whole story......the first thing I noticed when I joined this site was the absolute glee many took predicting that UConn would win a particular game by 40-50 points..... I admit that I used to take pleasure in that and have no problem with others that do.......now I'm no longer participating in MOV discussions other then to say that I hope they win, play well and come out with out injury...that's going to be my mindset until the last minute of the last game this year whenever that comes..
@Charliebball with all due respect you are trying too hard for an explanation of the recent increased negativity, where no reasonable explanation exists. I'm simply not buying the two most recent explanation of "recent posters" or "statistically driven" fans. By any measure, (statistical or eye test) these UCONN teams play overwhelming beautiful, enjoyable and artistic basketball. There will always be room for improvement in the game of basketball. To dwell on those areas that need improvement in every stinking game for every player is to not as @oldude is suggesting "smell the roses".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom