How do you choose who to root for (other than the Huskies)? | The Boneyard

How do you choose who to root for (other than the Huskies)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I have a simple system. I always root for the team that competes less for our recruits. So if Syracuse plays Gonzaga, I root for Gonzaga. If South Carolina plays Florida, I root for South Carolina. Kentucky versus Texas A&M means A&M.

Once upon a time, I would always root for the Big East team. But I have no such inclination with the American.

Reaction Score
I root against teams I hate ('Cuse, Duke, Georgetown, 'Nova, UNC, Kentucky, Pitt, Stanford, Michigan, Notre Dame, maybe one or two others). Beyond that, I just root for a good game.

Needs to be said that I'm starting to hate Gonzaga after last night's choke job. **** Mark Few.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I root for teams that are not elite programs so that if they win it won't hurt UCONN's recruiting or give those programs additional burn. For example, Oklahoma is a football school and will never be a year after year basketball contender, so they are a good choice. Indiana would have been a good one too since while being a power years ago, they've done nothing in 30 years. What I don't want is UNC, Kansas or Syracuse (just because I loath them) to win. After assessing the remaining teams, I'm pulling for Oklahoma with Virginia my backup.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Since CR left us without a chair, I don't root for anyone. I don't willingly pay any attention.

Reaction Score
It also depends who is in the tournament, for instance UNC is the favorites so which team has the best shot against them that would be KU, so I will route for them unless UNC loses. I know we wanna be ahead of them in national titles but it just means we have to win another title.

Another example was MSU going down against MTSU, I wanted Cuse to have the touger road so in that game I had to pull for MSU even though I wanted to see MTSU pull off the eventual upset.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
By which team/program I despise least, altered by a variety of outside circumstances coming into play. Unfortunately, many of my most hated teams are still in it. Duke and UK lost, which is a relief, but there are only two teams left that would be acceptable National Champions:
  1. Oklahoma - Really want OK to win it. Safe win. Buddy is great to watch. But I don't think it'll happen.
  2. Virginia - Relatively safe win. Don't care about them one way or another.

3. Oregon - Nike Money. duck* that.
  4. Villanova - BE dislike
  5. Kansas - don't want them to have as many NCs as UCONN
  6. Notre Dame - duck* ND. Miserable fan base.
  7. Syracuse - Goes without saying I think.
  8. UNC - Everything that is wrong with MCBB right now.

Note, none of this has anything to do with the kids on the respective teams.

Reaction Score
If one of the "blue blood" teams are playing, I generally root for the other team. Basically any team in Uconn's way of ascending the ladder in the pantheon of NCAA greatness. I agree with Matrims list above of despised teams. But Palatine's idea makes sense. Maybe I'll adopt that as well.

Reaction Score
Didn't August settle this already in another thread? Especially with Duke and Kentucky gone The Orange are obviously the only team left to root for.

Reaction Score
I have been rooting against Syrexcuse and Sir Picks-A-Lot for so long, why stop now?

Same with UNC/Duke/Notre Dame

Reaction Score
I root for the team that is playing against the one I despise or like another poster said that has the best chance of stopping a team I despise down the road. Teams I can't stand - Cuse (fans), Kentucky (calipari), Duke (fans/K), UNC (cheats), Oregon (Nike), Notre Dame (NBC), Maryland (Rudy Gay), Providence, SJU, Rutgers and BC

Reaction Score
I root against our enemies & the other blue bloods that can distance themselves statistically from us, mainly # on NC's.

Reaction Score
Hate to say there's some $$$$ for me in a pool if Nova makes it or covers the 2 1/2 tonight.

Reality is Virginia is who I would like to see but I do like the Sooners too - anyone but UNC and please do not let the Cuse back to the FF it would ruin any chance of 2 good semi-final games.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
1) other programs I may like for some reason

2) Cinderellas

3) my bracket

4) teams I don't dislike

today, VA qualifies under number 4, and that's it

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I root for the team that is playing against the one I despise or like another poster said that has the best chance of stopping a team I despise down the road. Teams I can't stand - Cuse (fans), Kentucky (calipari), Duke (fans/K), UNC (cheats), Oregon (Nike), Notre Dame (NBC), Maryland (Rudy Gay), Providence, SJU, Rutgers and BC

not bad list

Dook
UK
Miami
ND
BC (even though it's hard to such hate a loser)
Cuse
UNC

KU
Pitt

some combination of hyperbole, skirting the rules, privilege, and back stabbing lying former partners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom