How do we build for the future? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How do we build for the future?

Reaction Score
The name? How many t-shirt fans from Europe, Australia, and Asia show up at games, contribute to the university, or groom their kids to play football at UConn? What UConn needs is kids in the US who aspire to play in Storrs, and right now, potential recruits have better choices. UConn needs rivalries, better facilities, and bigger donors to attract a coaching staff with the panache to attract decent recruits.
Better Facilities??

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I refuse to accept what some been saying that Uconn will never be good in football.

We have a national TV deal, which means every parent can see their kid playing on TV every game. The media pay sucks, but Uconn can get a better deal and attract more eye balls once we are more competitive.

In addition to the media deal, we also have top notch facilities and academics. With those tools at our disposal, we should be able to out recruit just about all the G5 schools and many not so good P5 schools. We should not limit ourselves to local talent only. We need to recruit states like FL, TX, GA etc. CA should not be off limit either. There are plenty of parents and players out there that care about school academics in addition to playing football, and we should be targeting those kids.

We should be shooting for BYU or Boise level of success. With the right coaching staff, we can get it done.
I agree with most of this but I feel UConn has done very well with recruiting in Florida and Texas as of late - as I recall, Florida was always well represented on the UConn roster.
The higher academic standards is a double edged sword - we miss out on some kids but would also miss out on kids who have high academic acumen who want to play with like kids - many of these kids graduate and work at high level positions and end up donating big bucks - the academic thing is very touchy, especially for a state school.

Reaction Score
Better Facilities??
Yes, an on-campus stadium. Like it or not, the Rent is an albatross -- as much a detriment to UConn's success as anything else. Can you think of any other FBS program where campus and stadium are so distant from one another?

Reaction Score
Yes, an on-campus stadium. Like it or not, the Rent is an albatross -- as much a detriment to UConn's success as anything else. Can you think of any other FBS program where campus and stadium are so distant from one another?
UCLA to Rose Bowl (it’s even farther by a few miles)… forget about actual travel time.

Reaction Score
The name? How many t-shirt fans from Europe, Australia, and Asia show up at games, contribute to the university, or groom their kids to play football at UConn? What UConn needs is kids in the US who aspire to play in Storrs, and right now, potential recruits have better choices. UConn needs rivalries, better facilities, and bigger donors to attract a coaching staff with the panache to attract decent recruits.
Ok Hank, maybe you’re on to something.

Reaction Score
Injuries is a garbage excuse. Few teams make it through the entire season with all their top players in tact. You're right that the injuries expose UConn's lack of next man up talent. Most schools have somewhat of a decent second set on the two deep. UConn has nothing. Half it's starters wouldn't make a two deep on FBS rosters, so you know the back ups are going to be roughed up and abused in game situations.

I’d normally agree, but we lost Tyler P, Drayton and Ross. They are our best offensive players. Jay Rose has missed a few games. Basically, most of our exceptionally talented offensive players haven’t played much or at all. To say we didn’t have anyone behind them, isn’t really fair. We’ve seen a ton of potential from others. Neiminski, Maurisseau, Hairston, Jeffreys, Marion and Turner have all looked good. ALL are freshmen, except Mauriseau, who is a sophomore.

The defense has similar issues. This is a very odd year for us between injuries to star players and a lack of experience on the coaching staff. Our offense is pretty much operating with no one that knows what they are doing on staff. That isn’t an exaggeration. We’ve seen clear as day that the offensive staff, other than a couple of Mazzone games, is completely inept and has no idea what to do.

Reaction Score
I’d normally agree, but we lost Tyler P, Drayton and Ross. They are our best offensive players. Jay Rose has missed a few games. Basically, most of our exceptionally talented offensive players haven’t played much or at all. To say we didn’t have anyone behind them, isn’t really fair. We’ve seen a ton of potential from others. Neiminski, Maurisseau, Hairston, Jeffreys, Marion and Turner have all looked good. ALL are freshmen, except Mauriseau, who is a sophomore.

The defense has similar issues. This is a very odd year for us between injuries to star players and a lack of experience on the coaching staff. Our offense is pretty much operating with no one that knows what they are doing on staff. That isn’t an exaggeration. We’ve seen clear as day that the offensive staff, other than a couple of Mazzone games, is completely inept and has no idea what to do.
Hairston is a RS-JR and Jeffreys is a RS-SO

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Hairston is a RS-JR and Jeffreys is a RS-SO
Hairston isn't even in our rotation and Jefferies and Maurisseau get s green snaps a game.

Reaction Score
  1. Call Nick Saban
  2. offer him $10 million/year
Otherwise, there is zero chance UConn will ever be better than a mediocre FBS program. Don’t believe me? Ask BC, Syracuse, & Rutgers (all in Power 5 conferences) how it’s going.
This is a silly statement. I think they are all quite pleased to be collecting $30-40 Million in their mediocrity. It’s like the poor guy laughing at the rich guy because he has luxury of not having to worry about losing money.

Reaction Score
Pitt is on top of the standings as their Division leader...so is Wake.

Never say never.
It's looking like the ACC champ will be either Pitt, Wake, or NC State. This likely means the ACC champ won't make the playoff no matter what their record is/how they look because the powers that be are going to be forced to hold their nose and take Cincy . This leaves only 3 P5 slots available and they won't want to waste one of those spots on a weaker brand. The setup still stinks because it's still all about ratings.

#8teamplayoffnow

Reaction Score
I agree with most of this but I feel UConn has done very well with recruiting in Florida and Texas as of late - as I recall, Florida was always well represented on the UConn roster.
The higher academic standards is a double edged sword - we miss out on some kids but would also miss out on kids who have high academic acumen who want to play with like kids - many of these kids graduate and work at high level positions and end up donating big bucks - the academic thing is very touchy, especially for a state school.
You might be right, but that would shock me. You really think there are players that would pass on an otherwise academically appealing school because they accept football players with sub-par academic credentials?

Reaction Score
Have to find something to sell kids on. There is no league championship to shoot for, not much exposure, not much excitement to offer. The transfer portal is one possible solution, but I still think you need to offer kids some sort of unique playstyle or something. Something that gets the team noticed. I'm not trying to be a doomsday prophet, but there has to be some sort of compelling reason to get kids here. What would that be?
It's hard to find what cable outlet they are on. When you have to hunt all over the channel to find where they are

Reaction Score
According to there sources, there aren’t many blue chips coming out of the Northeast, so focusing on getting more of the in-state kids probably isn’t going to help much. Instead, we should probably be focusing on California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Georgia. Ya know, like everyone else is doing, and then we’ll continue to get the guys who don’t pan out.

UConn Florida signees, 2016-21:
Kakenvioun Vickers
AJ Garson
Jakevious Vickers
Marvin Washington
Robert Holmes
Jalon Ferrell
Messiah Turner
Keyshawn Paul
Malik Dixon
Matt Drayton
Myles Bell
Sidney Walker
Brian Brewton
Reyan Blake
Carter Hooper
Alfred Chea
Marques Alexander
Deondrick Speight
Langston Hardy
Christopher Johnson

I realize that many of them never even enrolled at UConn, and maybe I just don’t follow the roster closely enough to evaluate their progress, but it sure seems like we got “a lot” of Florida signees. And yet…

Reaction Score
According to there sources, there aren’t many blue chips coming out of the Northeast, so focusing on getting more of the in-state kids probably isn’t going to help much. Instead, we should probably be focusing on California, Texas, Pennsylvania, Ohio, and Georgia. Ya know, like everyone else is doing, and then we’ll continue to get the guys who don’t pan out.

Kakenvioun Vickers
AJ Garson
Jakevious Vickers
Marvin Washington
Robert Holmes
Jalon Ferrell
Messiah Turner
Keyshawn Paul
Malik Dixon
Matt Drayton
Myles Bell
Sidney Walker
Brian Brewton
Reyan Blake
Carter Hooper
Alfred Chea
Marques Alexander
Deondrick Speight
Langston Hardy
Christopher Johnson

I realize that many of them never even enrolled at UConn, and maybe I just don’t follow the roster closely enough to evaluate their progress, but it sure seems like we got “a lot” of Florida signees. And yet…

MD -15
NJ -8
DC-5
CT-4
MA-4
PA-4
NH-1

Total 41 in the northeastish part of the country. You could claim the PA DC and MD are not in the north east, but if you ask anyone in the south they would tell you different.
Point being, we need to do a better job recruiting in our own back yard.

Reaction Score

Kakenvioun Vickers
AJ Garson
Jakevious Vickers
Marvin Washington
Robert Holmes
Jalon Ferrell
Messiah Turner
Keyshawn Paul
Malik Dixon
Matt Drayton
Myles Bell
Sidney Walker
Brian Brewton
Reyan Blake
Carter Hooper
Alfred Chea
Marques Alexander
Deondrick Speight
Langston Hardy
Christopher Johnson

I realize that many of them never even enrolled at UConn,
? I’m pretty sure all of the listed players (except the first one who I believe is one and the same w/ Jakevious Vickers ) enrolled and were/are on the team in that time period.

Just in the class of 2022 alone - UConn has offered 33 +/- kids from Florida and another 20 +/- kids from Texas.

Reaction Score
? I’m pretty sure all of the listed players (except the first one who I believe is one and the same w/ Jakevious Vickers ) enrolled and were/are on the team in that time period.

Just in the class of 2022 alone - UConn has offered 33 +/- kids from Florida and another 20 +/- kids from Texas.
Actually, I think I copied the names correctly, and assumed they were brothers.

Reaction Score
Exactly. There are some exceptions to the rule but we are clearly in no position to be an exception. A rural campus like UCONN has no excuse for not having a stadium on campus.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
You might be right, but that would shock me. You really think there are players that would pass on an otherwise academically appealing school because they accept football players with sub-par academic credentials?
In my years of coaching I have seen it. Its hard to explain and it isn't a wide brush issue but it certainly exists. UConn is a highly respected educational institution and I can understand both sides of the argument. We all know, because of comparative numbers, its easier to sneak in a few non conforming minimum score players onto the hoops team than quite a few on the football team. Believe me, I would like to see UConn bring in the best players available.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom