How do transfers affect recruiting? | The Boneyard

How do transfers affect recruiting?

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
What affect does player transfers have on UCONN recruiting? I think 6 players have transferred out of UCONN in the last 5 years. Keeping a tight 6-7 player rotation minimizing bench minutes? If you are not in the 6-7 player rotation Geno does not bother with developing your game? His insults stop because caring stops. Not trying to start a argument. Just wondering what other people think?

Reaction Score
If you don't want to start an argument, I suggest changing the wording of your post. Asking a question like "Geno does not bother with developing your game" if you're not in the 6-7 player rotation or stating "His insults stop because caring stops" will certainly draw a strong response.
In fact, by using such wording, I can only conclude that you were either blissfully unaware of your descriptions or you were just trolling.

Reaction Score
Is it that he runs complex schemes on o & d that are challenging for some players to learn to his standards? There's some evidence that no coach prepares athletes for WNBA better that Geno. Some self-select out of the hard work, the intensity, the competition for playing time. And some who play little stay because for them it is an opportunity to develop personally thru basketball beyond basketball and they enjoy being a part of an effort so ambitious and demanding. It isn't for everyone - but what is? Both the success and the accolades of graduates prove it all works so very well for some.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
What affect does player transfers have on UCONN recruiting? I think 6 players have transferred out of UCONN in the last 5 years. Keeping a tight 6-7 player rotation minimizing bench minutes? If you are not in the 6-7 player rotation Geno does not bother with developing your game? His insults stop because caring stops. Not trying to start a argument. Just wondering what other people think?
Transfers don't affect recruiting then.

Reaction Score
LOL. Insults? You mean like “ you’re ugly”?

Sifaka

O sol nascerá amanhã.
Reaction Score
What affect effect does player transfers have on UCONN recruiting?

The question wrongly implies that transfers have an effect on recruiting.
Perhaps you wish to attribute the recruitment of Ms. Williams and Ms. Nelson-Ododa to some of the recent transfers.

Reaction Score

There, I fixed your post, if you did not want arguments.

Reaction Score
I consider a transfer a missed opportunity both for the player and the team.........................sometimes the player simply can't perform up to the tough standards required while sometimes they leave for academic/disciplinary reasons......................either way it's a loss for both sides...............

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Is it that he runs complex schemes on o & d that are challenging for some players to learn to his standards? There's some evidence that no coach prepares athletes for WNBA better that Geno. Some self-select out of the hard work, the intensity, the competition for playing time. And some who play little stay because for them it is an opportunity to develop personally thru basketball beyond basketball and they enjoy being a part of an effort so ambitious and demanding. It isn't for everyone - but what is? Both the success and the accolades of graduates prove it all works so very well for some.
Well put! :)

Reaction Score
I consider a transfer a missed opportunity both for the player and the team.....sometimes the player simply can't perform up to the tough standards required while sometimes they leave for academic/disciplinary reasons.......either way it's a loss for both sides.....

Some transfers, in my less than humble opinion, should not have been recruited and accepted by Uconn. Some, after sitting a year or so with injuries saw the future and found places where they would actually get to play the game they love.
If a good to better player sits out her frosh year and a Transfer comes in to fill her position--transfer time, don't fight it. I can think of 4 or so transferred out that were great for Uconn and the rotation, it isn't always hurtful either way.

I'm not happy Some UConn kids transfer because I always hold out hope/expectations that they will blossom and become Maya or Dt. It never happens, yet I hope.
So for those not getting the PT they want or the long sitting is too embarrassing I believe they should transfer. Personally, if Uconn recruited me that would be an ego trip for me but once aboard and I didn't play--I'd want to play, at Podunk U or even UT as long as I got PT.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Unfortunately, transfers have become a fact of life in WBB. As such there is little negative impact. If a transfer creates space on a team’s roster and potentially removes a disgruntled player, transfers can actually have a positive impact.

As far as the suggestion that Geno stops coaching players after the first 6-7 is simply nonsense.

Reaction Score
Transfer clearly don’t have that big of an impact on recruiting. Look at Maryland and Baylor. They constantly have kids transferring out (seems like a yearly occurrence at Maryland) and yet they are constantly replacing any outgoing talent with a 4-6 kid recruiting class—usually with many Top 30 recruits. It seems like conference, school location (as it relates to the recruits), and school quality (both the basketball program and the academic side of things) play a larger role. No many top recruits heading to Missouri State over Missouri. The same can be said of schools like UCF and ECU over schools like Florida State and Duke. UCF is in Orlando (a pretty nice city to be compared to Storrs during the winter, I’d say), but they aren’t getting better recruits because of location. Likewise, ECU is only 2 hours from Duke, but Duke has more name recognition, a better (read: more storied) program, and is in a better conference. Players want to go places that have a lot to offer even if those things never end up seeing the light of day.

Reaction Score
Personally, I think that you asked a fair question. The variety of answers on the other hand reflect prejudices made in advance. I think Charlieball hit the nail on the head. It's not only disappointing, it is a loss for both sides.

Reaction Score
The fact is that UCONN needs at least two or three graduate transfers for next year. Injuries do happen and if one or two of the starters goes down it may be a long year.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Here's the thing everyone at UConn is treated the same way, right down to the walk ons. If a player doesn't develop it's not for want of attention. I have no problem with a kid transferring out if she thinks she has better opportunities or would be more comfortable elsewhere. I don't have a problem with that in the least. If schollies were being pulled, I might feel differently. I can't come up with a single transfer that we've really missed.

Reaction Score
One hopes that it affects recruiting in altering the strategy on what type of player to bring in.

This is now twice in the last 4 years where we've brought in classes of 4 players who were largely interchangeable and who were all generally decently-ranked (~#10-30), but not elite.

Nurse/Williams/Edwards/Ekmark

The first two became multi-year starters and Gabby in particular blossomed as a player. These two actually had games that were probably more differentiated than any other pair. The other two transferred.

Walker/Coombs/Gordon/AEH

Walker disappointed as a freshman #1 recruit but is now solidly a starter. Coombs gets reserve minutes but won't see the floor against a challenging opponent. The other two transferred.

Yes, not every recruit pans out, and when you play only 6-7 (maybe 8) guys like Geno prefers to, some won't see time at all, but it seems like a waste -- and predictably so -- to bring in so many of the same type of player at the same (not quite good enough) talent level.

Reaction Score
I see it sometimes like a job. Everything looks great and sounds great, but when you get there you realize it's great, but isn't maybe right for you.

Sometimes you have bad blood issues (attitude, work ethic, etc) other times I think you see a kid and think "Wow, she'd be a great addition." Then once she is there just doesn't seem to fit into your coulture or plans.

I mean kids pick a college just to attend school and transfer because it wasn't a fit.. Recruits are like employees they want the right culture fit, and sometimes the school they thought was really wasn't.

I see you UConn being that bright shiny object that everyone wants, but in reality if you are offered and go there will it really be a fit for both parties?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
We know what Geno has said about practice and earning playing time. We also know that, as @Charliebball points out, it's a loss for both sides but more a loss for the program as they spent considerable time recruiting that player, withheld offers for other players and then have to add to the next recruiting class to make up for the loss. As I have noted, large recruiting classes do not work-1 or 2 players always transfer. This class of 4 had 2 players now transfer.
Again, this is not always true.
Williams/Cash/Bird/Jones/Walters
Taurasi/Conlon/MValley/Moore/Battle
Strother/Turner/Crockett/Wolff
Montgomery/Greene/Williams/Kerns

All large classes. Nobody transferred. Granted it's been awhile and things seem to be a bit different now a days. But what you have noted is not necessarily true. So maybe you might want to stop noting it.

Reaction Score
I don't think transfers hurt recruiting. Transferring is now a standard thing in the men's game. We will see more and more of it in women's hoops. Everybody thinks they deserve immediate playing time.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
One hopes that it affects recruiting in altering the strategy on what type of player to bring in. This is now twice in the last 4 years where we've brought in classes of 4 players who were largely interchangeable and who were all generally decently-ranked (~#10-30), but not elite.
Nurse/Williams/Edwards/Ekmark
The first two became multi-year starters and Gabby in particular blossomed as a player. These two actually had games that were probably more differentiated than any other pair. The other two transferred.
Walker/Coombs/Gordon/AEH
Walker disappointed as a freshman #1 recruit but is now solidly a starter. Coombs gets reserve minutes but won't see the floor against a challenging opponent. The other two transferred.
Yes, not every recruit pans out, and when you play only 6-7 (maybe 8) guys like Geno prefers to, some won't see time at all, but it seems like a waste -- and predictably so -- to bring in so many of the same type of player at the same (not quite good enough) talent level.
Each recruits decision is not made in a vacuum though. When Lexi Gordon decided to commit to UCONN, AEH had already committed and it was UNIVERSALLY know that UCONN was still in pursuit of Megan Walker. And likewise for Mikayla coombs. I distinctly remember Lexi calling her mom to tell her that we (UCONN) had got the number 1 player and she was very happy about it. This was at the same time that KLS and Napheesa ( both sophomores) were having AA seasons for UCONN. All of this information was available to Lexi and her family in making a decision to commit to UCONN. It was very admirable that Lexi bet on her ability to compete for minutes at UCONN. At ~20 years Lexi may never have to step up to a greater challenge in her life so this was well worth it.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score

All large classes. Nobody transferred. Granted it's been awhile and things seem to be a bit different now a days. But what you have noted is not necessarily true. So maybe you might want to stop noting it.

Umm, great that you mentioned classes of 1998, 2000, 2001, 2004. It is now 2018 and those classes are eons ago. Here is the recap I did of the last 5 recruiting classes across the landscape and as you sort of noted, things ARE different these days and it is true. The only exception is Stanford. You can disagree though your basis seem a bit dated.

WCBB Recruits.PNG

Reaction Score
I find it interesting that in the last year there has been so many post concerning the dreaded state of UConn recruiting. Geno recruits players he wants and those he thinks can succeed in his system. Sometimes it works out, other times it does not. Can’t imagine what the post would be like if Geno’s record in recent years was closer to Muffet’s.

Many complain that his recruiting net is not large enough but I submit that if those he wants, under his current recruiting strategy, are leaving because of lack of playing tine what do you think will happen if he recruits players outside his current net. This happens to be a year that produced only 1 player - so be it. Last year he got 2 players that look to be in the rotation as freshmen - a very successful year. So what’s the concern?

As for the size of his rotation - it seems to work - 11 straight final fours, 11 championships and numerous all time winning streaks. But maybe he should use Duke’s men’s coach rotation strategy - oh wait He does - coach K rarely goes more then 7 deep when it counts.

Reaction Score
The question wrongly implies that transfers have an effect on recruiting.
Perhaps you wish to attribute the recruitment of Ms. Williams and Ms. Nelson-Ododa to some of the recent transfers.
Geno has always said he will go to whatever source of players that provide UConn the best chance of winning. While I suspect he favors 4 year players, Geno has proven the ability to utilize all types of talents. Doubt there is as much analysis as some believe takes place - he knows what he wants and needs and if available will go after it (with caveat that UConn has one of the highest bars to meet in country). Two outstanding women who play the same position? Geno likely would view this as a positive coaching challenge not an issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom