How do the teams compare? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How do the teams compare?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I get it. You're stretching it. Did you really waste time finding those replays?

No time wasted at all. When transfering the games to DVD, an effort is made to include any and all pre and post game footage available. For the Baylor game last year, as one would imagine, there was a lot of coverage. Prior to the Duke game at Cameron two years ago, Rebecca Lobo interviewed Tiffany Hayes(Five Questions or something like that); Very cute. And a far cry from the nervousness displayed in her first few media interviews the season before as a freshman. Also on this Duke DVD is this news clip from WRAL:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/duke/video/6834972/#/vid6834972
Pay particular attention at about the 1:15 mark, just after Lorin nails that three from the left corner with an assist from Meghan - Just to the left of the woman's high clapping hands. One is always among friends on the road at UConn games.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
Hard to disagree about Ms Mulkey's use of the last timeout. Baylor used their second to last timeout after Hayden scored underneath, the score now 63-62. Maya Moore scored form the elbow making it 65-62. Melissa Jones then scored on a drive to the basket making it 65-64, next to last timeout Baylor. UConn, then called a timeout with 8.1 seconds left in the game and 2 seconds on the shot clock after Griner blocked Hartley's shot out of bounds. Coach Mulkey, then, called her last timeout before play resumed to set up the defense; A defense that resulted in a Maya Moore airball. The fact that the defense set up in the timeout resulted in a Maya Moore airball would be my only argument for using that last timeout. I, personally, am from the take it down the court before the defense can set up school of final second armchair coaching, so not having that last timeout would not have concerned me.
I see your point about setting up a defense that caused Maya to miss that badly, but I wonder what on earth she talked about in terms of after the shot?? I mean, it wasn't going to OT, they had to get downcourt and make a shot to win! They all looked like they had no clue what to do after getting the rebound. I know it's hard in the situation, and especially early in the season, so that's why I think a TO could have been useful.

I mean, they have Griner, for God's sake. Lob it anywhere in the vicinity of the basket and let her dunk it.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I honestly had forgotten the details of how that game ended. Perhaps a convenient memory lapse.

But as I read this thread I seemed to read that Maya's shot was an airball but Baylor got the rebound. Huh?

How do you rebound an airball?

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I had almost forgotten about that call. It is a non-issue and was in a game at the beginning of the year. Now, if that had been for a trip to the FF or in the FF that would be a different story. Water under the bridge.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
I honestly had forgotten the details of how that game ended. Perhaps a convenient memory lapse.

But as I read this thread I seemed to read that Maya's shot was an airball but Baylor got the rebound. Huh?

What else would you call that? A turnover by Maya and a steal by Jones?

Reaction Score

A shot does not have to hit the rim or the backboard to count as a rebound since one is gaining possession of a missed shot. In this case the shot was long, and Melissa Jones rebounded it on the weak side. My interpretation of the shot clock violation in this case is that Ms Jones did not have possession of the ball before the shot clock expired, thus a violation had occurred. It would have been an easier call if a UConn player had rebounded or even touched the ball. Play would have stopped and the officials would have gone to the monitor to put the correct time on the clock.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom